Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jooo

by jooo

That 1st one is good dwaharvey. It could have the coat of arms as a head badge and the usual Berk (maybe on the seat tube instead?)
That would all add lots of colour, without much paint (or weight) and without being too eye catching.

53x12

by 53x12

I agree that the first one is cool. I also agree with jooo about the usual berk on the downtube. Maybe coat of arms on the head tube or on the top tube just behind the headset?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I played around some more and really liked how it looked with the Berk logo on the Downtube and overlapping the paint... kind of tied the two things together visually, and I think it has a nice meaning that way. I tried a few variations of badge placement... not sure about you guys, but I think I like it mixed in with the rest on the downtube...fits with the flag presentation in some ways. Definitely cool as a headbadge too though. Anyway, hope you like it Berk, or that it gives you some ideas for something better (fun playing with regardless)!
Attachments
pt6-2.jpg
pt6-3.jpg
pt6-4.jpg
pt6-5.jpg

53x12

by 53x12

Yeah I like the last one with the coat of arms mixed in with the flag colors. Looks very classy. Nice job. :beerchug:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks dwaharvey :thumbup:

As soon as I prepare the frame for clearcoat I'll make another photo with the fork. Otherwise I think that I'll just clearcoat it (with matte clearcoat) and then put on stickers and experiment a bit with it. Have a friend who makes those stickers for cars and for other commercial use, so he can make me basicly anything..

fitty4

by fitty4

Maybe you could "hide" the national colors a bit, just some ideas:white handlebar tape,blue berk logo, red cables, I like the shield logo, maybe put it on the front of the headtube, pinstripes, stripes like world championstripes all the way around the tubes Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You could also put the stripes like a panel and put the berk logo in between them, your friend could do this

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

All I would see is the current "Berk" logo on the down tube in fluorescent green, blue or whatever color Jure likes.

"Handmade in Slovenia" on the chain stay in same color and a nice head badge up front.

All those stripes and national colors just make it look like almost every other bike form a known manufacturer. I would see stripes(one color) run down the seat post and onto the chain stays. Front running on the inside of the fork and down on the down tube to BB. Or do I just make it a mass myself now too... :)

If national colors or flag are a must, then why not on the top tube, where it meets the head tube just below the stem?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
thanks for all those opinions!
It's really hard when you have too much choice! And in the end it also looks different in real or when you build a complete bike with the frame..so in the end I usually really stick with the simple logo and the stealth look. Maybe I could try to make it gloss this time? But then again I don't like the look of the fork that hasn't really a "beauty layer", but it's like sanded UD, and in gloss it doesn't really look nice to me.. I also don't want to make the frame look like it's a serial product.
Regarding the flag colours - basicly it's not really something that would go well also with the rest of the equipment (Mavic wheels etc., clothes,..), but I think it could only be a small detail, somewhere...anyway, will think about that and it's also very interesting to hear/see your ideas, thanks a lot!

sancle1

by sancle1

Hi I like that you incorporated your nations flag colors on the frame. Good work!

fitty4

by fitty4

krzysiekmz wrote:
"Handmade in Slovenia" on the chain stay and a nice head badge up front.

I would see stripes(one color) run down the seat post and onto the chain stays. Front running on the inside of the fork and down on the down tube to BB. Or do I just make it a mass myself now too... :)

Chris.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

KWalker

by KWalker

I think a very big BERK logo on the TT on DT would be cool. Kinda like Speedvagen does. Make it interesting, asymmetrical, and different. Shield on the HT
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

My "Berk" logo is quite small, so compared to Speedvagen I guess it would still look a bit "empty"?

Otherwise the weather isn't that nice anymore here in Slovenia, so I'm mostly on my MTB and it's time to put the parts from my PT5.. I also have some new parts for the new build, the bike should weight <6kg. Had the chance to get a Ritchey Superlogic handlebar (now I have ALU WCS) and hopefully I'll like it...it will drop around 50g, also have a lighter chainring, the frame will be lighter,...and also a special combo is in process. Will send some more photos once I finish it ;) it's with a new saddle shape..

Otherwise here just a quick photo to see how should the frame look like.
I still have to slightly sand it, put on the cable stops and clearcoat it. In the end it should weight around 830g, depends from the finish. I'm very happy with that weight.

I'll also tune a bit the fork - I won't use the expander (that came with the Enve fork), but will laminate the screw directly in the steerer...will post some photos once I finish it. Not really because weight savings, but because it doesn't perform well, had some problems with it this season so I decided to make it integrated, and I may even save around 10g, will see. Sorry that I don't have more photos, but as soon as I have some more time I'll write a bit more about the build.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Here a very simple fork tuning.
Here is the original expander:

Instead of using that expander I made a carbon plate with screw:

And to glue it really well I made also an insert, that will hold it on place (so there is no way it will slip out because the larger bonding surface):

Everything bonded in the fork steerer, saved 20g compared to the original expander

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So a top cap and bolt would screw down into that? How much torque do you think it would withstand? That's a pretty neat idea! Has anyone else done that before? It's a great idea once you have your steerer length sorted.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

The THM forks has large threads moulded in carbon all the way down the steerer tube. On these threads you screw a aluminum insert down, which has the normal thread for the top cap. Works very well and I guess it stiffens the steerer tube as well, as the sidewalls become thicker. I recall Easton did something similar at one point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com