Wheels Manufacturing Campy BB30 Adapter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Anyone tried the Wheels Manufacturing BB30 Adapter for Campagnolo Cranks?
I just spent the money for a Record group to hang on a new TCR SLR aluminum frameset (training bike, commute bike, light, very well reviewed new breed of alu bikes, etc). Then find out this frameset is on the 'International' site, not available as a frameset in the US. Ugh. No matter, now I've got a Specialized Allez E5 frameset ready to build. But it's BB30.
The more I read about folks efforts to use a standard (24mm spindle) crank the less encouraged I am.
I've heard hit and miss with the Campy BB30 adapter.
The Wheels Manufacturing adapter looks promising to me but I haven't seen anyone who has used it.
I'm trying to decide if I just have to wait to build this bike until I get a BB30 crank for it or if I can have an 'A' grade fit with the right adapter.
I also have an FSA K-force light standard crank not on any bike. So I'm pretty frustrated I have about $1400 worth of crank sets that are essentially worthless right now. I don't have unlimited funds so I'm only buying another crank if it is the only real option.
Any input appreciated.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

You might want to wait a little longer. Praxis should have their collet system for Ultratorque out soon. That would be the best set up, unless you have yet to buy the cranks. Then just get the Overtorque cranks.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The wheels manufacturing adapter worked well for me when I used it on BB30 to Shimano.....the Praxis solution would obviously be optimal, but in the interim the WM solution would be fine.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Wheels don't appear to make a BB30 to Campy adapter.

Campy spindles are 25mm.

Campy's own BB30 press-in cups have worked fine for me for 3 years.

PF30 was the problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

carlcurry

by carlcurry

I have bought the cranks. The Praxis solution looks good.
I notice on their Shimano conversion BB they highlight "BB30, Pressfit, and now Specialized OSBB" support. As though the Specialized isn't truly BB30.
Yeesh. This is the most effort and time I've ever had to spend in 30 years of cycling just to get a proper BB setup.
I better research further what BB is 'really' on the Allez E5.

rijndael

by rijndael

carlcurry wrote:and now Specialized OSBB" support. As though the Specialized isn't truly BB30.
If specifying avoids phone calls, or an occasionally missed purchase, then further clarifying it is worthwhile - especially if it's just 30 seconds of typing (one time).

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

bikerjulio wrote:Wheels don't appear to make a BB30 to Campy adapter.

Campy spindles are 25mm.

Campy's own BB30 press-in cups have worked fine for me for 3 years.

PF30 was the problem.
They do

http://wheelsmfg.com/bb30-adapter-for-c ... ranks.html

carlcurry

by carlcurry

I found the Wheels Mfr. adapter on their site as well. It's good to have confirmation.
That said, the Campy solution looks the cleanest.
I've read a lot of forums/threads. Here is what I think I know.
* The Campy cups can work fine on a BB30 shell
* The Campy cups can be trouble on a PF30 shell
* The Wheels adapter is Delrin, not alloy, and said to be quieter

I'd usually go for a Campy solution with a Campy group, but I'm favoring the Wheels solution right now. Bottom brackets should not creak. Ever. When I'm dragging this old body up mountains the only thing I should hear is the birds singing and the sound of my breathing.
I'd go with the Praxis solution if they had it for Campy. Something tells me when the Campy Over-Torque BB30 crank I see on the Bike Rumor site becomes available, I'll end up buying one.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

carlcurry wrote:I found the Wheels Mfr. adapter on their site as well. It's good to have confirmation.
That said, the Campy solution looks the cleanest.
I've read a lot of forums/threads. Here is what I think I know.
* The Campy cups can work fine on a BB30 shell
* The Campy cups can be trouble on a PF30 shell
* The Wheels adapter is Delrin, not alloy, and said to be quieter

I'd usually go for a Campy solution with a Campy group, but I'm favoring the Wheels solution right now. Bottom brackets should not creak. Ever. When I'm dragging this old body up mountains the only thing I should hear is the birds singing and the sound of my breathing.
I'd go with the Praxis solution if they had it for Campy. Something tells me when the Campy Over-Torque BB30 crank I see on the Bike Rumor site becomes available, I'll end up buying one.

It is available, now.

corky

by corky

If you want to use Ultra Torque, look no further than Parlee cups, they sit deeper in the shell and do not creak or wander......

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Ultimobici
Man, I wish. I'm wondering...available now in Europe. I'm in the US. I will certainly be asking my LBS today. My Record crank is brand new in the box. Might even be able to swap.

Corky
Another option. Cool. It does say for PF30, not specifically BB30. This is a problem with the Campy cups.
Actually, this is ambiguous for me right now. I've seen the Tarmac's are PF30 and called OSBB by Specialized. The Allez is also called OSBB but I see it referenced as BB30. I wish I knew definitively. The choice would be easier.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

OP have you seen this table?

http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/Bottom-Bracket---Oversized-Road-Bottom-Bracket.pdf

You will note 2 different flavors of "OSBB" which naturally causes endless confusion. Only 1 is a true BB30, the other is a narrower shell with adapters pressed in. This latter one is problematic for Campy although there are other good solutions I read about like the CBear insert which converts the BB to threaded. And then no more worries!

One.

carlcurry

by carlcurry

I have seen that table. It confuses as much as clarifies. It does say alloy frame (like the Allez) OSBB are compatible with Ultra-Torque. It doesn't mention the Allez specifically, and I don't see anything newer than year 2011. I'm not putting much faith in it. I'm calling Specialized tomorrow and will try to clear all the ambiguity.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

OP you say that you have the frame in hand.

Why can't you measure it?

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbf

by jbf

I used the Campy OS-Fit Bearing Cups for BB30 on my CAAD9 and have had no problems. Just install them with Loctite 609 (which is designed for press fit applications) and you will have no problems. PM me if you need some as I now have a bottomless supply ....