The stupidest thing you've heard at a bike shop...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

project3

by project3

Equinox produced wheel set for zipp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

Silver brake pad holders do not exist...

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Ah but the red ones do Dorothy

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

"You need to toe-in the brake pads - if you don't you may void the warranty..." (carbon wheel set)

Same shop, owner this time tightening the faceplate on my new 3T carbon bars:
Me: aren't you gonna use a torque wrench?
Him: shows me his hand holding the 5mm wrench "this is my torque wrench" (meaning his hand).

Miller

by Miller

mellowJohnny wrote:Same shop, owner this time tightening the faceplate on my new 3T carbon bars:
Me: aren't you gonna use a torque wrench?
Him: shows me his hand holding the 5mm wrench "this is my torque wrench" (meaning his hand).

He has a point though. Someone with mechanical feel sort of knows what the correct torque is and the size of a hex key limits the torque that can easily be put through it by hand. People get over obsessive about torque wrenches.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Visited a shop a way down South:

Shop owner: Bubba <head mechanic> don't need no fancy torque wrench, he uses an audio torque wrench.
Me: What's an audio torque wrench?
Shop owner: Well Bubba here, he hears real good like, so when he tightens the stem bolts, he listens real good, and when he hears the first inklings of a crack, he stops right quick, then backs off just a mite. Perfect every time.
Shop owner: This is the best stem there is. When can we install that for you?
Me: When I'm ready for you to install it, I'll call the service department. I'm sure Bubba will hear the phone ring, seeing as he hears real good and all.

This is a dramatization, but not far off reality, unfortunately.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Miller wrote:He has a point though. Someone with mechanical feel sort of knows what the correct torque is and the size of a hex key limits the torque that can easily be put through it by hand. People get over obsessive about torque wrenches.
Nope

Far too many people "think" they can feel the correct torque, yet when they are tested they are waaay off. In the days when steerers were predominantly steel or alloy and fasteners were steel it wasn't such a concern. With the increasing use of carbon steerers and Ti and alloy bolts on even entry level bikes it is.

mattr

by mattr

Funny that.
We used to test fitters at a place I worked, the best were within the allowable tolerances for a normal torque wrench. And were repeatable. The worst were terrible.

On the other hand, most of them would be tightening more fasteners in a day than a bike workshop mechanic would in a busy month.........

Miller

by Miller

ultimobici wrote:Nope

Whatever. I don't use a torque wrench. My bikes don't fall apart nor do I tend to break fasteners or components.

I don't think it's good to make people fearful by dogmatic insistence on this or that.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

"I've called in sick and taken today off work, but just need a few things so I can go for a 50km detox ride later this afternoon"

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol... crackin' up.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fireball05

by fireball05

Miller wrote:

Whatever. I don't use a torque wrench. My bikes don't fall apart nor do I tend to break fasteners or components.

I don't think it's good to make people fearful by dogmatic insistence on this or that.

What's the compelling reason *not* to use a torque wrench on the sensitive bits? I can't think of one. And I'd much rather be bombing down a hill at 55mph knowing my components were properly torqued.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Miller wrote:

You've simply been lucky so far. I have lost count of carbon bars & seatposts I've seen that have had to be binned due to non use of a torque wrench.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Dogmatic insistence by manufacturers on safety limits should be heeded, if you want to have peace of mind. You can be assured that carbon parts manufacturers are not saying that to boost the sale of torque wrenches by other companies.

Miller

by Miller

ultimobici wrote:You've simply been lucky so far.

jeez, for someone who's never met me you seem to know an awful lot about my bike maintenance. Or you just assume a lot. Get over yourself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com