Another Budget CAAD10 - now with FFWDs!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mlchang

by mlchang

15 pounds is going to be 6800 grams. So you have about 230 grams to go...

Reiterating some things posted previously
Elite fiberglass cages are heavy, over 40 grams a piece - so potentially 30 grams to 40 grams of savings depending on the cages you get.
Carbon railed toupe could save you 25 grams, s-works would probably save 60 grams
New RED cassette is probably lighter than what you have now (maybe 50 grams?)
Williams cycling Elan CCS handlebar claimed sub 200 grams - so maybe 60 to 70 grams lighter then 3T Ergonova Pro

Doing these changes could be relatively affordable, wouldn't change the stem or seat post or touchpoints too much.
Visually would pretty much look the same.

However, wouldn't quite get you to 6.8...maybe like 70 grams away, so frustratingly close...

That said, I just happen to have some Williams Cycling 42cm (c-c) Elan CCS bars that I'd like to get rid of...they really are nice bars despite the price. PM me if interested...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

incredibleting

by incredibleting

Bianchi10 wrote:You like the cables? Any positive or noticeable feedback or is it simply weight reduction?

The Yokozunas are amazing. Shifting is smooth and crisp, best that I've tried. Not the lightest though, but I thought spending $120+ for iLinks just wasn't worth it, as opposed to $50 for the full Yokozunas set.

Michang, thanks for the offer but since the season has started and I'll be racing mainly cat4 crits, I don't think carbon bars are the greatest investment. The last 4s crit I watched someone snapped their bars in half :| I'll look into the sworks toupe, and new cages for now.

Thrillho

by Thrillho

I have some cheap suggestions:
*Bontrager Race Lite grippy tape weighs like 30 grams.
*Someone suggested stans rim tape already. That saves like 15 grams per wheel of rotating weight.
*Tires can make a huge difference. I am not sure what you have on now, but you can easily find fairly durable tires that weigh about 185g each.
*A Tune carbon top cap is $20 and weighs 5 grams.
Speedvagen Road
Stoemper SSCX disc
Ira Ryan XCR DI2
Parlee TT
Moots Mooto-X RSL SS
Richard Sachs Cyclocross
Scott Spark 29er

Marwin3000
Shop Wrench

by Marwin3000

Great looking bike! You should try some Veloplugs! saved me atleast 40g!

Schmittler

by Schmittler

What a really great looking bike, love it! :thumbup:

manne

by manne

Very interesting process!

incredibleting

by incredibleting

So, I finally got myself some old Red shifters since a friend upgraded to 2013 Red. That should shave off another ~60g. I had a friend who tried veloplugs before, and he pinched 3 times in one night, so I'm wary of those. Will pick up an old Red rear derailleur sometime soon (also from a friend) which should help me lose another ~35g. I'll probably stop after that and save up for wheels next.

Anyways, gotta focus on this season with whatever time I have.

Buffalo

by Buffalo

I went from rival to red and I lost 34 grams on the shifters and 39 grams on the RD.

Dallez

by Dallez

incredibleting,

I like your CAAD10 a lot. I saw your update in the 'Dales thread http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=67421&start=825#p978152.

I am building up a semi-ww ish Ritchey Road Logic steel bike. I ordered a set of Reynolds Assualt clinchers for this build and there gruppo will be a mix of SRAM Red, Force, and Rival.

Since I am going a bit classic with the steel frame, I've started thinking about gum sidewall tires like yours. What brand/model are your tires? Also I am digging your new wheels, which ones are they? Lastly, who makes your new chainrings? Basically I want the details on your updates in the pic below. Looks really great by the way.

incredibleting

by incredibleting

The photo includes the following changes: Red 11-26 cassette, new KMC chain, new (used) chainrings, new (used) wheels.

Thanks for the compliments! The tires I'm running are the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC clinchers. The new wheels are American Classic 420 Aero 3s. They were completely stripped of all paint and reanodized with the Mavic paint they use on their own wheels. The rear wheel was also rebuilt to a much prettier lacing pattern instead of their original triple spoke design. New chainrings are Stronglight CT2s.

On another note, I've put the weight weenie aspect of the bike on hold. Right now I'm more concerned with stiffness for the races. I originally hesitated to move to a slightly heavier set of wheels, but the ACs are just way stiffer compared to the velocity a23s. Someday when I have more funds, I'll be able to get stiffer AND lighter. *sigh* the poor life of a grad student.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

incredibleting wrote:New race wheels.

how does the TT ring shift in comparison to ct2?

incredibleting

by incredibleting

I didn't really notice a difference in shifting. The CT2 shifted amazingly well already. They are stiffer though.

As for my update, I've been adding less weight weenie parts and opted for higher stiffness. Blew up my AmClassics hitting two giant potholes. Sits right at 16 lbs with my Boyd rouleurs. Also added SRAM Red Aerolink brakes, wasn't too confident in the Planet-X CNCs. Haven't weighed the bike with the FFWDs yet, but it should be almost 200g lighter.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

incredibleting wrote:I didn't really notice a difference in shifting. The CT2 shifted amazingly well already. They are stiffer though.

As for my update, I've been adding less weight weenie parts and opted for higher stiffness. Blew up my AmClassics hitting two giant potholes. Sits right at 16 lbs with my Boyd rouleurs. Also added SRAM Red Aerolink brakes, wasn't too confident in the Planet-X CNCs. Haven't weighed the bike with the FFWDs yet, but it should be almost 200g lighter.

hahaha i know this feeling.

i've been spending money on parts that have made my caad10 heavier.... #doingitwrong.

i might consider a TT ring. I think the ct2s are really nice in the shifting department, but im having to swap them out sooner than my old red rings because of my own interpretations of ct2 bending. #toomanywatts.

CaptainP

by CaptainP

This bike still looks stellar. Would love to see it with gumwalls again though!

Nebby

by Nebby

nathanong87 wrote:5'10" and on a 50cm frame? dang!

Interestingly enough, I'm also 5'10" but on a 54cm frame with a 80mm stem after fitting. I'm still trying out the shorter stem, but I'm not particularly happy about how the bike handles steering inputs now, so much so that I'm thinking of asking the bike shop to see if they can get me a good deal on a frame swap and may end up with a small frame like incredibleting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com