Powerful mini pump required

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MoPho

by MoPho

I carry both a Lezyne Road Drive and co2 with me in my jersey. I only carry one cartridge with me and the pump as backup and for when I help others. It's not like I use a lot of cartridges ( 3 in the past year perhaps), so I am not going to feel guilty about the environmental impact, it is a drop in the ocean.

The pump works great but it can take a lot time/effort and there are times when the co2 is just a better solution for getting you back on the road efficiently

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Oh what total BS co2 cartridges are.
Co2 = lazy mofos
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

Just bought and tried the Quicker Pro on both threaded and non-threaded presta valve stems on my road tires (700 x 23).

Pros: This is my first mini pump, but I was surprised how powerful it is; it takes less than a minute to get the pressure up to my typical riding pressure/firmness (thumb test -- I normally run about 95-100 psi); it seals easily and well to both threaded and smooth valve stems; good grip, so it can be used without bending/breaking the valve core; handle is big enough to use without fear of pinching my palm; fits easily in pocket -- 180 mm long; works with both presta and schraeder -- only takes about 30 seconds to switch back and forth; cost only $24 on Amazon; can be attached firmly to frame if you choose to do so (but the mounting clip fits a limited range of tube diameters).

Cons: Sorta porky (178 g on my scale); this one has the internal pressure gauge, the gauge is pretty useless; first time I used it it actually sealed so well that I pulled the nut off of the end of the valve core when I removed the pump from the valve stem (solved by being a little more careful about removing when done).

I might look for a lighter alternative some day, but if you don't mind the weight, this is a keeper.
Last edited by dj97223 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

djconnel

by djconnel

Ironic this came up: just got stuck today with my Lezyme pulling my valve core. I repumped 4 times, pulled valve core 4 times. Finally figured out how to put it in "slip mode" (as opposed to screw mode). It worked great.

Screwing is better if your core is tight. But if not, slip mode saves the day.

headwind816

by headwind816

djconnel wrote:Screwing is better if your core is tight. But if not, slip mode saves the day.

I think I found my new signature line :lol:

Huge fan of Lezyne stuff ... floor, travel, and portable/pocket

claus

by claus

dj97223 wrote:fits easily in pocket -- 180 cm long;

Wow, you have big pockets.

dj97223

by dj97223

Ha :D . 180 mm.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

quattrings

by quattrings

I asked about mini pumps recently and haven't reported back in my own thread so I feel obliged to give a follow up. :oops:

I went for a Lezyne road drive cfh. It has a flexible hose which doubles as a CO² head. It can be used with presta and schrader valves and has a maximum inflation pressure of 11 bar.
So far I have pumped one flat on the road and it's brilliant so far. On my trainer wheels I run approximatly 6 bar and the Lezyne was a blessing.
Since I had an collision on the bike a couple months ago I just couldn't reach desired pressures with my other pump because it felt like my shoulder was gonna blow apart. With the Lezyne it was virtually effortless.

I'll have to see how well it works with my tubs and TT wheels.

dvincere

by dvincere

Does anyone have good suggestions? I'm sick of CO2 and hand pumps are all terrible. What's the best pump you can recommend? Weight is a factor but ease of use, maximum pressure a weak guy can get with it, stability, and durability should be factors too.

Geoff

by Geoff

RussellS

by RussellS

I have CAAD7 and CAAD9 bikes. I use the Blackburn frame pump. Carbon and aluminum. It comes with a Velcro strap to hold it under the toptube.
http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Frame-P ... B003UWAB18
http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Frame-P ... B000BNZ0LK

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

My wife carries a Lezyne mini high-pressure hand pump on her CAAD 9 frame. I know you're looking more for full-length frame pumps but you might consider these. Like Lezyne floor pumps, IMO the hand pump is cleverly designed and very well made. Works great. Very durable and still fairly light and inconspicuous. No need for the longer/larger frame size pump...

http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/hand- ... h-pressure
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

dvincere

by dvincere

Thanks for the suggestions.

Part of the reason for the frame pump is simply to get another piece of gear out of my pockets. Especially with wet and cold weather upon us, that space is better used for clothing options as the weather can change by quite a bit on a long base ride.

atanger

by atanger

i second the topeak brand, however I use the morph, not necessarily the lightest or smallest but in my experience does the job:
http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG

eric

by eric

The Lezyne Road Drive pump is small and works very well. I can get tires up to normal pressure even with my skinny climber's arms, though it takes a while.
They come with well made clips which go under a bottle cage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com