"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Never said I wasn't in the crowd, everyone has been at some point.

That does not absolve ourselves from the virtue of self-reflection.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

spud

by spud

At least we can officially dispense with the stupid argument "oh, he didn't dope because he's such a nice/cool/whatever guy"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

No spud, you can not dispense with that argument, as there is one glaring counter-example.
In Svein Tuft, the non-doping (tribute) thread, Gregorio wrote:I just found my calling.

WWSTD
(What Would Svein Tuft Do)

53x12

by 53x12

prendrefeu wrote:Never said I wasn't in the crowd, everyone has been at some point.

That does not absolve ourselves from the virtue of self-reflection.

No need for self reflection. We aren't pros. We are the audience/fan for whom they race for.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

prendrefeu wrote:Does anyone else see similarities to the "Witch" scene from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" in all of these conversations - both here and on the hilariously low-brow comment sections on the news sites? Or maybe it's just me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Situations like this

http://stevetilford.com/2013/10/31/remo ... -hesjedal/

are why people are upset.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Being upset is fine. Did I state that being upset is wrong? Eh? Where did I write or state that?

It's the approach, not the emotion.

It's pretty clear that those are two separate things.

Your example is a good one, but how the conversations and comment threads read is another matter entirely.

53x12

by 53x12

Sorry everyone doesn't comment or approach the situation like you do. Did you ever really expect that to be the case? People have different opinions.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Again, did I state it's wrong to have different opinions??

How about you go read my original statement?
Specifically I offered my opinion, and wrote "or is it just me." Did you miss that?

Back at you: I have an opinion, just like you, about how people approach things. Just like you, a different opinion. Is any one opinion of approach correct or incorrect? No, and I never stated as such.

53x12

by 53x12

You are perfectly fine with your opinion, I have no issue with that. Just that you have an issue with certain types of opinions being expressed here and those 'low-brow comments' on other sites. As if those differing opinions are somehow on a witch hunt because of their stated opinion and that your stated opinion is somehow righteous because you aren't on a 'witch hunt.'

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Jeez fellas.....do we need to act like a bunch of women all the time?

FACT: Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and they all stink so quit acting like yours smells like roses.

Pretty much everyone doped in the late 90's, early 2000's, even [insert your favorite rider here]. These dudes are athletes that compete for themselves and their own livelihood/success. Let's not make this something it's not.....people deserve second chances. They were not all a bunch of LAs. Good people make bad decisions too and it is short sighted to throw every ex-doper out on their a** so quit the self righteous, smug, holier than thou comments. If you were in their position you may have made the same choice.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

this dude was blasting in tabor!!!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

btompkins0112 wrote:Pretty much everyone doped in the late 90's, early 2000's, even [insert your favorite rider here]. These dudes are athletes that compete for themselves and their own livelihood/success. Let's not make this something it's not.....people deserve second chances. They were not all a bunch of LAs. Good people make bad decisions too and it is short sighted to throw every ex-doper out on their a** so quit the self righteous, smug, holier than thou comments. If you were in their position you may have made the same choice.

Exactly!
Well said.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

btompkins0112 wrote:Jeez fellas.....do we need to act like a bunch of women all the time?

FACT: Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and they all stink so quit acting like yours smells like roses.

Pretty much everyone doped in the late 90's, early 2000's, even [insert your favorite rider here]. These dudes are athletes that compete for themselves and their own livelihood/success. Let's not make this something it's not.....people deserve second chances. They were not all a bunch of LAs. Good people make bad decisions too and it is short sighted to throw every ex-doper out on their a** so quit the self righteous, smug, holier than thou comments. If you were in their position you may have made the same choice.

Stop being such a pushover and being impressed with a rider who admitted to doping in the past (how convenient it was past 8 years) and all of a sudden stopped because they thought it was bad. Utter bullocks and bullsh@t. They are pulling the fleece over your head and you believe it. This is NOT a credible confession. This was a, oops you caught me and someone leaked the beans that weren't suppose to be leaked. Only admit after you get caught, otherwise deny deny deny and talk about how the sport is so clean now. The Garmin team is run by a former doper and full of former dopers. Not sure I can even believe in Ryder's Giro win at this point. Why would I be that naive and think that was clean.

I absolutely despise how certain riders that have been doping and been busted/admit to afterwards, get a free pass because they are 'likeable' or a 'nice guy.' However certain dopers (LA, Ricco, DiLuca, Rasmussen...etc.) are hated because they aren't 'likeable' or a 'nice guy.' Ryder should get the same punishment that LA. That is one thing that stinks like a outhouse within cycling, the disproportionate punishments that vary across the sport. The punishments need to be universal and consistent. Regardless of how big of a star you are or how well liked you are.
Last edited by Ahillock on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have never attacked ANY rider for doping.....I refuse to judge without absolute knowledge (the type that you obviously have). Giving someone the benefit of the doubt is the reasonable thing to do in my estimation, obviously cynical ranting is what you consider to be the reasonable thing to do. Tomato, tomatoe.

:beerchug:

53x12

by 53x12

Well said Ahillock! I have believed for some time that the USADA going past the 8 years should set the precedent for every doper in cycling, not just LA. As a result I would like to see RH get at least a 6 month ban (for working with authorities and admitting it bla bla bla) but more proffered would be a full 13 months for a first time offense. Do people still hate LA so much that they want different punishments dished out inconsistently within cycling?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com