Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nagge

by nagge

When will the FRD AR frameset be available in Europe?
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

nagge wrote:When will the FRD AR frameset be available in Europe?

January.
-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Hi Dave

A few more questions from me if you don't mind?

Firstly a techie one. Will the 3T vibration reducing clamp be available on all frames, and is it an extra cost option?

Secondly on vanity! I'm wondering if the graphics on the seat tube spell a word out or are they just squiggly lines? I must admit I like the plain look of the test bike shot in the wind tunnel.

Many thanks.

Svetty

by Svetty

Ba!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:Hi Dave

A few more questions from me if you don't mind?
Firstly a techie one. Will the 3T vibration reducing clamp be available on all frames, and is it an extra cost option?
Secondly on vanity! I'm wondering if the graphics on the seat tube spell a word out or are they just squiggly lines? I must admit I like the plain look of the test bike shot in the wind tunnel.

Many thanks.

Yes, the 3T equipped Vibration Reducing seatpost (VR) will be available as a replacement for the VM design that comes with the AR FRD, AR4 and AR5.

The AR FRD uses a special TeXtreme lay up on the seatpost which makes it a bit lighter than the posts used on the other models. The VR comfort module adds about 25g to the seatpost weight.

-SD

emartin

by emartin

Hi Dave,
I red this topic with great attention. I'm a 39 years old racer with more than 20 years of racing and was looking at those aero bikes for the next season. At first, I was looking at the Propel but the brakes issues mentioned in few reviews made me think again. Here in Quebec, we do alot of criterium so brakes are important. Also, our road races are on flat, windy condition so the AR should be a good option. I'm also thinking about using this bike for a few TT and triathlon with clip-on.

Now my questions, I'm 5'7", and at 175 pounds, I consider myself as a "muscular" rider and need a frame that can hold quick acceleration. I'm from a Giant TCR ADV SL and this frame was awesome. Is the AR4 stiff enough? I'm quite confused with all the carbon levels in the FELT lineup but one thing is shure, I need a stiff frame for criteriums. I took a look at the AR2, the carbon seemed better but I don't really wan't DI2 and don't like the wheels so for the price, is the frame that good to make me want the AR2?

Now for the sizing. My BB-top of saddle measure is 70.6cm. I'm always between a small and a medium. The headtube and top tube seem a bit short on the small but with my size, would the medium seatpost to short?

Thanks and please excuse my average english.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

emartin wrote:Hi Dave,
I red this topic with great attention. I'm a 39 years old racer with more than 20 years of racing and was looking at those aero bikes for the next season. At first, I was looking at the Propel but the brakes issues mentioned in few reviews made me think again. Here in Quebec, we do alot of criterium so brakes are important. Also, our road races are on flat, windy condition so the AR should be a good option. I'm also thinking about using this bike for a few TT and triathlon with clip-on.

Now my questions, I'm 5'7", and at 175 pounds, I consider myself as a "muscular" rider and need a frame that can hold quick acceleration. I'm from a Giant TCR ADV SL and this frame was awesome. Is the AR4 stiff enough? I'm quite confused with all the carbon levels in the FELT lineup but one thing is shure, I need a stiff frame for criteriums. I took a look at the AR2, the carbon seemed better but I don't really wan't DI2 and don't like the wheels so for the price, is the frame that good to make me want the AR2?

Now for the sizing. My BB-top of saddle measure is 70.6cm. I'm always between a small and a medium. The headtube and top tube seem a bit short on the small but with my size, would the medium seatpost to short?

Thanks and please excuse my average english.

The AR models are made with the same BB stiffness as our F-series models which share the same stiffness for production bikes as the frames we supplied to Garmin and now to Argos. You can find a few resources online from Roadbike, Tour, ProCycling and others that rate the F-series BB stiffness among the highest available period. From a stiffness to weight perspective, only the Cannondale Black Supersix EVO and Cervelo R5CA (and now RCA is claimed) are as good as the F-series.

If you don't want Di2, the AR3 R or AR1 frameset would be a good choice. If you plan on TT events as a dual use bike I'd recommend the 51cm size. A 54cm would give you a huge head tube to deal with on a TT bike.

-SD

emartin

by emartin

SuperDave wrote:
The AR models are made with the same BB stiffness as our F-series models which share the same stiffness for production bikes as the frames we supplied to Garmin and now to Argos. You can find a few resources online from Roadbike, Tour, ProCycling and others that rate the F-series BB stiffness among the highest available period. From a stiffness to weight perspective, only the Cannondale Black Supersix EVO and Cervelo R5CA (and now RCA is claimed) are as good as the F-series.

If you don't want Di2, the AR3 R or AR1 frameset would be a good choice. If you plan on TT events as a dual use bike I'd recommend the 51cm size. A 54cm would give you a huge head tube to deal with on a TT bike.

-SD

Thanks for the reply,
Instead of the AR2, the AR4 is the bike that would give me the best options with mech Ultegra. If I understand correcly, this frame would be as stiff as what I'm used to, am I right?

As for frame sizing, compare to Giant, your medium frame for exemple have a much shorter headtube an toptube. Since I'm used to Giant geometry, this is where I have some reserve. How come a 140 mm headtube would be massive vs Giant 150mm? Please highlight me.
Regards

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

emartin wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

-SD

Thanks for the reply,
Instead of the AR2, the AR4 is the bike that would give me the best options with mech Ultegra. If I understand correcly, this frame would be as stiff as what I'm used to, am I right?

As for frame sizing, compare to Giant, your medium frame for exemple have a much shorter headtube an toptube. Since I'm used to Giant geometry, this is where I have some reserve. How come a 140 mm headtube would be massive vs Giant 150mm? Please highlight me.
Regards

The AR4 would be just as stiff as the AR2 but not as light.

I wouldn't characterize 10mm as a "massive" difference. Just ad a 10mm headset spacer, or a shallower drop or a different bend so the hoods are positioned higher or a different stem stack or a flat top handlebar, or a 35mm handlebar or a myriad of other solutions to increasing bar height. It is also possible that you'll find the bar position to your liking. As you are used to Giant geometry, I trust you'll eventually get used to AR geometry.

I had the opposite problem going from a Felt F-series frame to the new AR. I started by using a -17 degree stem but eventually have settled on a -10 degree stem, slightly wider bars, and a slightly lower hood position on the PRO bend. After a few weeks it feels and fits great.

10mm of bar height is about a 2 degree difference in elbow bend.

-SD

emartin

by emartin

SuperDave wrote:
emartin wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

-SD

Thanks for the reply,

Regards

The AR4 would be just as stiff as the AR2 but not as light.

I wouldn't characterize 10mm as a "massive" difference. Just ad a 10mm headset spacer, or a shallower drop or a different bend so the hoods are positioned higher or a different stem stack or a flat top handlebar, or a 35mm handlebar or a myriad of other solutions to increasing bar height. It is also possible that you'll find the bar position to your liking. As you are used to Giant geometry, I trust you'll eventually get used to AR geometry.

I had the opposite problem going from a Felt F-series frame to the new AR. I started by using a -17 degree stem but eventually have settled on a -10 degree stem, slightly wider bars, and a slightly lower hood position on the PRO bend. After a few weeks it feels and fits great.

10mm of bar height is about a 2 degree difference in elbow bend.

-SD

Thanks again for the reply,
Because the bike with be mainly use on crit and road race, I choose a AR2 medium, my friend (who is also my LBS) convainced me about DI2 and the 3T wheelset, I placed my order today! I also prefer to put the stem all the way down with no spacer and after 20 years of racing...I'm not as flexible as I used to.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Hi Dave.

Are you able to pull any strings to get a frame to the UK for me?! :-)

Dealer is stating early new year but no confirmed month. Would LOVE to have the AR ready for my traditional first race of the year (2 up TT) mid February.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:Hi Dave.

Are you able to pull any strings to get a frame to the UK for me?! :-)
Dealer is stating early new year but no confirmed month. Would LOVE to have the AR ready for my traditional first race of the year (2 up TT) mid February.

Ok. Can you provide any additional information?

-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I'm just about to head to bed, been a long Halloween night here! Not figured out hot to send PM's on here from my phone, will send you one in the morning Dave. Thanks for the help! :-)

trilocus

by trilocus

Hi SuperDave i want to know the tyre clearance in felt ar frd frameset, can fit. 700x25 tubulars? Shimano internal battery can be used in the seatpost?

Thank you

Enviado desde mi C6833 mediante Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

I asked him the same question before and he said 25 mm tires are no problem.