New lightbike record?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jamie

by Jamie

I checked out the 'light-bikes' site today and they have a posting for a 3828g (8.44lb) machine! .

Can't wait to see the photo's - radically modified judging by the spec i.e 'Drilled' AX lightness sprint saddle and drilled wheels?

Surely this is dangerous what do you think?.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Surely this is dangerous what do you think?.

Dangerous, indeed. Stupid, you bet.

That bike is a joke. It's not a complete bike. Has no bar tape, no rear brake, no front deraileur, only one chain ring, a 45t carbon, only one shifter, and it's a top tube shifter, one brake lever, and EVERYTIHNG HAS HOLES DRILLED IN IT, EVEN THE WHEELS!!!

This thing is a disgrace to weight weenies if you ask me. No creativity, no style, just a guy how decided to "cheat" by not putting all the parts on, and drilling holes in everyting that he did. It's not a bike you can "ride", and performace was sacrificed to a discusting degree to reduce weight. Light-bike, I spit on you. :roll:

jim

by jim

superlite, your words are harsh :), but i agree with you lol. what a complete and total waste of time... geez, i should take the front derailleur and rear brake off my bike...

Superlite

by Superlite

Yeah dude, I think while I'm at it I'll remove my front tire, just cruise on the rim. Maybe the saddle and post, not like I need that. Hell, I'll saw off the drops from my handle bars to.

Hey light bike! I just took another pound off your record! Better get busy to beat it! :lol:

nikh

by nikh

Superlite why don't you tell us how you really feel!

Could it not be a hill climb bike?
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

cadence90

by cadence90

nikh wrote:Superlite why don't you tell us how you really feel!

Could it not be a hill climb bike?

Yeah, I'd guess it must be for some very special use.
I wouldn't think it would qualify as a "record" bike, because it's not apples to apples, but someone who has that component list either knows what they're looking for (as well as how to use a drill, one would hope) or else is completely nuts.
Who knows, the bike may even have drilled Superlite inserts :!: :P
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Superlite

by Superlite

Who knows, the bike may even have drilled Superlite inserts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my beautiful inserts! :lol:

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

what is the link to see the bike??

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

cyclemanpat wrote:what is the link to see the bike??

http://www.light-bikes.com/

cadence90

by cadence90

There are no posted photos yet, but here's the direct link to the component list.
http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=274
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

PNuT

by PNuT

i see someone is at it again!!!

i will be racing my single chainringed one braked machine on the open road this coming weekend, it has no shifters or mechs!!!
people have been drilling holes in to things for more years than most ov us can remember!!!

i will wake up saturday morning & tell myself i must be stupid!!

danielgillett

by danielgillett

I think that if people are going to set a record light bike, there has to be some rules about it - otherwise a single speed road bike will be the lightest.
Perhaps, It must have:
-9 or 10 Speed, with 2 chainrings
-Functional Braking System
-Ergopower or STI Levers (No Downtube)
-700c Wheels

So, if these rules existed, based on the current Road Bike Articles section, the Giant Showbike would be the record holder.

What do you think?

Cyco

by Cyco

Rim drilling is fairly standard practice for this WW. It usually involves a series of holes on the tyre side of the rim. On MtB rims you can remove more than on road HP rims. On singles you have to be carefull not to remove to much surface area, and to not fill the holes with excess glue.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

It's easy to build a real light bike for British hill climbs that use a fixed gear and front brake...

To me, I build my bikes so they can last a long hilly day in the saddle, under my 6'plus, and 165lbs...if they can't, it's of no use and no interest other than seeing what other people do. Downtube levers like Cristian used on his Dynamik are okay, but that's okay for him, I don't want to use them with 10s stuff.....

To win the race you first have to reach the finish (or something like that).
Ride lightly!

PNuT

by PNuT

my single speeder aint for hill climbing.... timetrialing upto 50 miles.... will have to use a geared bike above that

a slightly newer picture :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com