Loudest freehub?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wojchiech

by wojchiech

Stolichnaya wrote:The Soul hubs are also loud.

+1, the 2012 Soul-Kozak Road hub has a magnetic (springless) ratchet system that makes istvery loud when free-wheeling at higher speeds. Even when descending and the wind noise picks up, you can still hear the freehub. Very low maintenance too - no loose parts to grease besides the magnetic ratchet, and the freehub body is steel so no claw marks from cassettes. I have the hub laced to an aluminum rim - I'd imagine on tall carbon rims it would amplify the sound even more. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

biotin

by biotin

Chris king hubs!

Devon

by Devon

I think I'll be going with the Hopes. They seem to offer the best noise-quality-price ratio.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Ha, yeah the Tune Mag 170 is pretty loud.

The loudest I ever had on road was a POS Hubsmith thing I got as part of a wheel build. That was very loud, but also complete and utter crap, and broke in a matter of months.

I don't think we should just be focusing on the volume however, but also the tonal qualities of the sound, and the clarity of each individual CLICK. As well as being into bikes, I am also an audio God (nerd), and would happily start an archive of freehub click sound samples, which can then have their SPL and wave shapes analyzed.

Phwoar!

gitsome

by gitsome

My Zipp v7 is damn loud but I like it as it helps warn others of my impending presence especially since so many are spaced out and don't ever look over their shoulders or seem to have any awareness of anything other than themselves these days, its gotten terrible in NYC.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Just in NYC? Self awareness on the bike. Now that's a novel idea.
It would avoid 99% of all accidents.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

gitsome

by gitsome

Yes, sadly. The explosion of bicycles and cycling in recent years has only made it 1000 times worse. It was better in the 80's and early 90's when nobody but those who took it seriously would do it, it was probably 1000 safer when it was unpopular and considered dangerous. Now its just awful. Not to mention iPhones, iPods, gigantic headphones, attached dogs (and iguanas), razor scooters, dollar vans, etc.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I guess you would need to step up your game and be a lot more self aware.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

el condor

by el condor

Hügi (Swiss)-hubs not sure if they're still produced.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Chris Kings are the loudest road hubs I've heard. Second would be my Tune Mag 170.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

jpanspac wrote:Chris Kings are the loudest road hubs I've heard. Second would be my Tune Mag 170.

Chris King's are quite compared to many hubs. They used to be loud but they're barely audible when riding now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z018IeCZO24

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

yes, the Soul magnetic hubs were the loudest that i've had…in order of loudness

--Soul--loud, noisiest hub i have ever owned
--DT Swiss 240 that needs grease--pretty loud
--Tune 170--noisy and slightly above my threshold
--CK R45--about right
--DT Swiss 240 that has been greased and upgraded with 36 teeth
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bman11

by bman11

I have the DT 240's, the CK R45's, and Tune Mag 170's. The Tune's are the loudest by a long shot. They sound awesome! I was a little bit surprised by how quiet the CK's are. I also have a set CK ISO disc hubs on my MTB, they are loud and super awesome!
Just dig in and climb it!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Tip- take your Tune Mag170 apart, clean out and degrease the ratchet and pawls, and regrease with the superlight grease that Easton do. It will be even louder. :)