Garmin mount for new Giant Contact SLR one piece stem/bar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Horacio

by Horacio

So I picked up this new stem/bar combo and installed it on my TCR Advanced SL1. The profile of the bar doesn't lend itself to any available out-front Garmin mounts. Underneath in the front are two holes to mount the Di2 front junction box which is really nice! They are off center though. I thought Tillquist's FSA Plasma Garmin mount would work for this new Giant bar, but it wouldn't be centered. Any ideas? This Giant stem/bar combo is awesome! It's extremely stout and looks great! It also came with new shifting cables...nice touch!
Untitled by Harleyhoracio, on Flickr

TimmS

by TimmS

Little bit off topic, but what does it weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

raceware direct
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Not sure if this is the same as Tillquist's but would this work?

http://www.twohubs.com/Product/training ... jY4G2TIyis

rijndael

by rijndael

Fixie82 wrote:Not sure if this is the same as Tillquist's

I don't know if it's the same - but I doubt it's one of his. It's made in the USA.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Actually I meant the same design, not one his specifically. I know Two Hubs have these made to fit the one piece handlebar/stem combos.

I haven't seen Tillquist's design so can't comment on if its similar, but this is one of the few mounts I have seen that work with these set ups. If its similar to Tillquists it won't work as has been mentioned in the OP.

Horacio

by Horacio

I didn't think to get it weighed before it went on. (Dumb i know!) I actually ordered a 42 and a 44 showed up and somehow it got installed. The 42s won't be available until the end of the year. For the life of me, I don't know why these Di2 front junction box mounting lugs are off center. Being that every up front mount available is straight, I don't see what will work for this bar. The one from TwoHubs is nice. I also have one of Tillquist's on my FSA Plasma that works just fine, but it won't on the Giant.

PIXELLUST

by PIXELLUST

I had a look around and I couldn't find anything either. TIlquist's mount are definitely the nicest if you can get your hands on one.
I've never used them, but RaceWare Direct may be able to help you out. http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk/
Just send them an email.

ms6073

by ms6073

Fixie82 wrote:Not sure if this is the same as Tillquist's but would this work?

http://www.twohubs.com/Product/training ... jY4G2TIyis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have Tillquist's mount for use on FSA Plasma - from the images of the underside of the Contact SLR - I don't know, maybe. While the bolt spacing looks close, the mounting holes on the underside of the Giant bars appears to be 1cm further forward (closer to the front of the bars) than for FSA or Pro integrated bars and I am doubtful the twohubs.com mount will fit FSA Plasma Integrated bars without modification as the spacing is different.

Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

aaric

by aaric

Ogee makes a plastic one held on by zip ties, that should be a bit more able to handle ovalized bar shapes:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/973993/r ... terialId=6

Another option would be to craft a bracket, and mount the tillquist or two hubs to it.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Along the same lines as ^^^^ you could fashion a bracket to fit the K Edge mount, has the angle you would need to be aligned with the stem.

swsimmons

by swsimmons

I just ordered a Giant Propel SL0 with the SLR bar/stem combo. I have K edge on my old zipp bars and really like how sturdy it is. Can anyone confirm which Garmin bracket(s) will work with the SLR bars? I have DI2 so that may further limit my options...

I am open to making small modifications.

Thanks,
Steve

Horacio

by Horacio

K-Edge mount def wont work on the SLR bar. Tillquist's mount for the FSA Plasma does work with the integrated lugs on the bottom of the SLR bar.

swsimmons

by swsimmons

Thanks. Do you know how far offset it will be? Not that I have a lot of options, I just know it will really bug me if its noticeably off center.
Steve

Carrots

by Carrots

Hey guys, anyone found a solution yet? Am half considering swapping out my bars for Zipp Vuka Sprint bars. Should be able to put a standard KEdge close to the stem on one of those (or similar bars).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com