Removing decals from anodized cnc'd parts

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

trychle

by trychle

Hey guys,

At the moment I am busy with making my winter bike more 'bling' (good for cycling in the dark ;)).
To do so, I ordered some anodized cnc'd parts from Superstar components, which unfortunately have some ugly decals.

Therefore, I was wondering how to remove these decals.
For example the one on such a seatpost clamp:

FYI, acetone and other nail polish removal chemicals didn't work.

Any other Ideas?

aaric

by aaric

1) Magic eraser with acetone on it does a pretty good job on tough paint. Make sure to turn the eraser a lot though, as it can easily get gummed up with paint.

2) Very careful use of a razor blade. Very easy to scratch the underlying surface though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miceden

by miceden

Acetone should do it but you need the proper stuff, the nail polish variety doesn't pack a lot of punch. You could try Methyl Ethyl Ketone but be careful as it can damage the anodising.

The other option is to have it stripped and re-anodised... Not expensive if you are doing a few parts and there will be continuity in the colour scheme you are going for.

You could also try a fibreglass pen and then buff out the scuffing that leaves behind... Providing you dont go through the anodized layer of course... Then apply a bit of clear coat lacquer.

trychle

by trychle

Ok, thanks for the answers. I'll go and tell my sister to buy proper nail polish remover! :beerchug: