Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks and no problem!

Here is one more photo:
785g as on photo. All the reinforcements are done.

I still have to add a few details (cable stops etc.) and clearcoat it, once it's finished it should weight a bit more than 800g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Nice work! Always impressed with your work. What do you use as a frame fixture and alignment table? Watching this thread motivates me to finally get started on frame #2.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks! I just put all the tubes on a totally flat surface and line them with spacers - basicly for each tube there are two spacers and I put the tube on it. The frame geometry is drawn by hand on the flat surface and then it makes the work quite easy, but still takes quite a lot of time to make it really precise. Would love to have a frame jig, but I only make a frame per year and it wouldn't make sense to invest in it.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

In a few days the new frame will be prepared for clearcoat, and I'll have to decide how I'll paint/clearcoat it.

The frame has 3K plain look and most probably I'll go for matte look, but don't know if I should also paint it a bit, or should I keep it stealth, like my PT5?
Any opinion is much appreciated, thanks!

BmanX

by BmanX

What about painting the frame and just having BERK as exposed carbon. I think it would be cool to have your name as exposed carbon and the rest of the frame painted.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Already a friend of mine said just the same, and I really don't know how should I make it. Too much choice :mrgreen:. Another opinion was to make it similar like the new BMC Lamborghini edition etc.,...already a lot of people asked me why I don't paint it, and if I'm honest I really don't know:). I like stealth look, but also a change would be nice...otherwise the paint wouldn't add that much weight because I can take the time and make it really well (not with super thinck layer of paint).

BmanX

by BmanX

I think you need carbon showing at some place because your carbon frames are amazing and the carbon should be showcased somehow
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

plpete

by plpete

As much as I appreciate the look of bare carbon and the whole stealth black look I do like a bit of color. Maybe implement a small Slovenian flag somewhere? Like on the top tube near the stem? Just tossing ideas around... A tiny bit of color here and there can go a long way. Since your work is amazing and the attention to detail is second to none I feel like you should make it stand out a bit in the sea of flat black bikes. In either way - less is more :)

CaptainP

by CaptainP

BmanX wrote:What about painting the frame and just having BERK as exposed carbon. I think it would be cool to have your name as exposed carbon and the rest of the frame painted.

+1! Sounds really cool!

Something lige this could be cool (with the carbon logo, as described above) - but maybe it's a bit too national? :noidea:
dsc018381 copy2.jpg

Please don't mind the fast and terrible photoshopping :roll:

53x12

by 53x12

CaptainP, cool idea but maybe a little much? I would like to see more carbon personally. What about the national colors on just one tube? Some like only on the seat tube or just on the head tube/down tube? I would have to see a few different options to decide which one looks the best.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

Berk wrote:but I only make a frame per year and it wouldn't make sense to invest in it.

See now that is a problem, we need to get you making more frames! Especially since you are doing such a damn fine job at it. :thumbup:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks a lot for all those opinions!

It's a great idea with the flag - something similar had Blaža Klemenčič (she is a professional MTB rider) and she had a Felt MTB with a flag on the headtube:

53x12 wrote:
Berk wrote:but I only make a frame per year and it wouldn't make sense to invest in it.

See now that is a problem, we need to get you making more frames! Especially since you are doing such a damn fine job at it. :thumbup:

Thanks :thumbup:. Probably it's really time to think about custom framebuilding and offer it. I even have some more ideas how to make some moulds for it, but didn't realized it yet because it would be too expensive for me at this moment. Otherwise in general the idea is that the chainstays and downtube would have a "closed end" that would perfectly fir to the BB (with a large area). That would mean less reinforcements needed and of course better weight/stiffness ratio...so that might be an option, as long as I'm making also the tubes by myself, and I prefer it like that. I was also in contact with some companies that could provide me the tubing, but aren't serious, don't know if it's because my age, but at least I get that feeling sometimes,...anyway, I decided to stick with my own tubing, for me it's not a real pleasure to buy the tubes and just put them together, I love to experiment with different layups etc.,... :thumbup:

Back to the frame painting, all opinions are welcome! I won't rush with it and will take a few days to think about it. Here the Slovenian flag for some more inspiration, if I try to make something in that way..

53x12

by 53x12

^ I think the national coat of arms would be awesome on the frame. Regardless if you want the flag colors. Or if there is a coat of arms for the county/region of where you live that you think might be a better option.

plpete

by plpete

Coat of arms is a great idea! This on the headtube:

And maybe a thin tri color stripe in white, blue and red (representing the flag) going the length of the top tube and down tube as seen when looking from above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I vote simple and classic... and more carbon than paint. Couple ideas in photoshop... With the panel, putting "Berk" as a see-through carbon section would work pretty simply.
Attachments
flag1.jpg
flag2.jpg