Storck geometry

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

HakeemT wrote:Thanks for the insights Calnago.
To be honest, I've not given the whole trail/rake thing much thought. Then again, that's probably because I haven't experienced the bike wanting to 'wash out', or other erratic behaviour going around corners (and I race plenty of criteriums). In the end, I've set up the bike with my preferred saddle height and position relative to the BB, and then just race the shit out of it.

@Hakeem, the characteristics I'm speaking of are subtle for sure, and if you are racing the shit out of it you are probably in a pretty aggressive position most of the time, weight pretty forward and thus planting that front wheel in crit turns etc. I certainly don't mean to imply that it's unridable and is going to wash out when you look sideways. And the body adapts to the handling of any bike it's on quite frankly. Keep riding the shit out of it.
:beerchug:

@Konky: Yes, I am one of those people. In order for those people to even comment they probably have a fair bit of knowledge about the geometry they are looking for and geometry in general, gained from experience and a good bit of study. The handling characteristics of long trail versus short trail as defined by head tube angles and fork offsets, weight distribution etc., are not specific to any one bike. Storck is that outlier in a cluster of finely tuned road bikes. I merely question why, what is their reasoning behind their geometires. The body is very adaptable. If I don't feel right on a bike after a week, then the bike is not right for me... let alone several months as you suggest. I don't want to have to "learn to love" it. I want to love it from the start. I know that Storck's geometry is not right for me, and apparently lots of others too... and when the distributors were at a loss to answer any of my questions it just screamed "pass on this one". At the time I was researching these frames for an interested party. That you have found your home on Storck is great. But you're right, it's not for everyone. I've often wondered what a "majestic" ride might feel like however. So if I come across one in my size, I will for sure take it for a spin.

DMF wrote:I would go out on a limb, and think maybe Marcus Storck is one of those guys with a short torso and long legs but short femur bones, in which case the geo (with the inline seatpost in place) actually makes a lot of sense. I.e rider positioned far forward and with the bars low.

Horses for courses, but I can definitely see a course for this horse, even if it's obviously not for everyone, you might be thankful that it is there at all as these geos are few and far apart for the riders who need 'em.

We're not all built around 72,5/73 geo with 20mm setback and 120mm stems.

@DMF: I get what you're saying, and I do not know what Marcus Storck's physical attributes are, but he is producing bikes to sell the the public, not his twin. If he's convinced there's that many people out there with those attributes, then great... produce away. It's just that he really seems to be more about producing different designs merely for the sake of being different than improving on the existing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

If everyone only made frames that fit the most common body proportions, i.e 'one size fits all' philosophy, there wouldn't be any bikes left for the rest of us. I for one need (don't want, need!) a 75 degree STA with an inline seatpost. That's just down to uncommon body proportions.

Everyone else already makes the common geometries, I don't see why you are putting down Storck for catering the other guys. Sure it's not the most profitable approach, so because of that I think it's just darn nice of them to consider someone else than the general public.

For these people, Storck might even be the only choice next to going custom.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's not a "one size fits all philosopy". Colnago for example probably offers the most size choices of any manufacturer today, and still offers a custom geometry if you want one. This is more about the philosophy behind Storck's designs, why he does what he does. He is not "catering to the other guys" because of fitting constraints. Relatively steep seat tube AND recommending an inline seatpost pretty much tells you that he intends for you to be positioned very far forward, whether you're common proportions or not. Then the whole front end geometry escapes me for reasons I've already discussed. Unless it's a tt bike, this positioning does not make for the most comfortable of bikes. If you want to run a set back seatpost with your seat jammed all the way back in the rails on one of Storck's bikes, that's fine, but it probably indicates you should have gone with a different bike, as it is not the way Storck has intended you to be fit on the bike.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

DMF

by DMF

Calnago, I think you answered your own question in those last lines. It IS essentially a TT fit and that just fits some people. But unless you want unstable handling with the TT fit, you go for more trail. That is what's been done here. I personally prefer a TT fit with very twitchy handling so will go for more rake/less trail.

I think you are missing the point that not just is it not for everyone, it's very likely not intended to be for everyone. If you want TT fit with stable (majestic) handling, get the Storck. If you don't want this and still want a Storck but with a setback seatpost, for the love of God don't get a Storck. And if you just don't want a stable handling TT fit, get something else.

I don't understand why you can't just be happy for the customers who wants a TT fit. Why does the Storck have to fit everyone else too? If it's not for you, it's not. Pretty simple?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, I agree with you @DMF. Now that I know you want a TT fit on a road bike, it makes perfect sense. :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

DMF

by DMF

I think the Planet X in Introductions (link in my signature) says it all :)

The Storck geo with a shorter fork (which seems very possible) slips it right into my ballpark on all accounts too, now if I could only ever afford one. :)

Gex64

by Gex64

It's time to move on up from my road bike which I've had for 4 years. It's a Fuji CCR. I have been eyeing a Storck Absolutist and I am pretty certain it's what I'm going to get but can't figure out the geometry. Now my current bike is a relaxed geometry bike which I have felt to be a little big as I have a 90mm stem on it. I want something more aggressive this time. For the Storck I am looking at size 55. Here is the comparison between my current and Stock geometry:

Now the Storck is smaller than current which is a good thing on most of the measurements but there are 2 major differences which are the head tube length and rake. I have no spacers on my current bike and I would like a little more aggressive position so I could go with a 1cm spacer on the Storck and meet halfway for now. Then I could also run a ~110mm stem as well on Storck. What you guys think? The next size up Storck just looks too big.

DMF

by DMF

Buying a frame to fit the preferred length of stem is not actual bike fitting, that is aesthetics over actual bike fitting every day of the week. Secondly you can't compare head tube heights with the Storck as it has a much taller fork. Look at the stack instead.

Are those comparison numbers really correct for both sizes, it seems to me one of them are off or they don't make any sense. The Storck has a longer reach with a shorter ETT, a lower stack and the same STA?! May be down to where the manufacturers take their measurement though...

Anyway, if those numbers add up (I can't see how...) then a 110mm stem with a 10mm spacer would be about 20mm taller reach than the 90mm stem, no spacer, on you current bike. You could get a shorter reach bar if you really just want the 110mm more-pro-looking-stem. Not that I see the point...

Gex64

by Gex64

DMF wrote:Buying a frame to fit the preferred length of stem is not actual bike fitting, that is aesthetics over actual bike fitting every day of the week. Secondly you can't compare head tube heights with the Storck as it has a much taller fork. Look at the stack instead.

Are those comparison numbers really correct for both sizes, it seems to me one of them are off or they don't make any sense. The Storck has a longer reach with a shorter ETT, a lower stack and the same STA?! May be down to where the manufacturers take their measurement though...

Anyway, if those numbers add up (I can't see how...) then a 110mm stem with a 10mm spacer would be about 20mm taller reach than the 90mm stem, no spacer, on you current bike. You could get a shorter reach bar if you really just want the 110mm more-pro-looking-stem. Not that I see the point...

I was just using the longer stem as an example and don't care to stay with a 90mm one. The geometry of my bike was taken directly from manufacturer (Fuji). My main goal is a more aggressive riding position and not have the feeling that the bike is a bit too big for me.

DMF

by DMF

Essentially the Storck will have the top of the head tube 18mm lower, and the top of the head tube about 5mm further forward than the Fuji, a little less than half that with a 10mm spacer. (Every 40mm of spacers moves the stem 10mm horizontally).

So they are pretty much the same for fit. A 110mm stem on your Fuji is about the same as a 105mm stem with 18mm of spacers on the Storck. Fit wise there is nothing the Storck does that your Fuji doesn't already do. The only change you will get is in handling, and the Storck is a lot less aggressive at that.

If you want a more forward and lower fit, you would need to look elsewhere.

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

I've just started roughing out the fit with a tape measure. Nothing really appears that radical yet.

DMF

by DMF

As already pointed out, you'd have to take the radical fork rake/front wheel trail into the equation and how that influences handling if you try to fit the bike to yourself rather than fit yourself to the bike. Stack and reach is not the whole story.

Gex64

by Gex64

Well I talked to the shop and voiced my concerns and they said if I can't get fit dialed in I can return the frame and go for something else. $1250 out the door for the frame was just too good to pass up. Going with Ultegra 6800. They also have some Reynolds Assault for $1k and then $200 for the 6800 11sp hub installed.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Myself and a buddy with Storks both agree that with reasonably-sized components, you either feel like you "fall into" these frames, or not. By that I mean a feeling of actually supporting your proportions, seat/foot/hand distance. Yes this can always be fine-tuned by the componentry, but that "something unique" aspect about Storks has, IMHO, yet to be put into words.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com