Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What are the 2 most important things for you on a crank ?

-Design + stiffness
9%
-Design + weight
15%
-Design + price
5%
-Stiffness + weight
44%
-Stiffness + price
9%
-Weight + price
18%

Total votes: 159

ellipsesx

by ellipsesx

that's the way it goes
there are many people who tried to contact him and never got an answer
so if he did it the way it should and answered the questions it's okay
but don't leave people with open answers.........

coppercook62

by coppercook62

My friend got a set, look nice weight was close to my THM M3. See how install goes
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

2tonGorilla wrote:I could imagine the stiffness of the crankset would effect power numbers and spikes if not calibrated right. Did it have to go somewhere special?

Because all other cranks are like... *refrains from using more crude examples* ...rubber dog chews by comparison, right?

No.

Perspective, people... :roll:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Mimizk wrote:You should do sending to return the borrowed things if you have a time you could write rubish sentences on this forum.
Why you could write such these long message if you have said true things that you don't have enogh time as you can't refund which doesn't need any other action wthout clicking.

Before you do sales talk here, you must treat honnestly your present customers.
Though a few people are here who accept your foolish dealing with customers because you may make better parts or just they didn't suffer from you, it can't be said "business".
There is no difference from playing at house if you don't see your customers.
You make the parts in selfish, you choose the customers in selfesh, and be satisfied in selfish.
You should think again for the business why you can be satisfied.

I realise your first language isn't English but, if you're going to berate somebody on a public forum, have the decency to do it in clearly.
Last edited by ultimobici on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

ultimobici wrote:If you're going to berate somebody on a public forum, have the decency to do it in intelligible English.

Perhaps you should have the decency to realise the poster you berated might not actually have English as their first language?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

BikeTart wrote:
ultimobici wrote:If you're going to berate somebody on a public forum, have the decency to do it in intelligible English.

Perhaps you should have the decency to realise the poster you berated might not actually have English as their first language?

Edited. Happy?

Mimizk

by Mimizk

Thanks BikeTart.

ultimobici,
Maybe I've not realized true English meanings.
But if I completely mastered English, it will effect only I can berate him more better.
To begin with, I don't say nothing wrong or lie.
At least it is better than Ted Ciamillo.

ultimobici wrote:Edited. Happy?

And though I think you are also not gentlemanlike at this sentence, how do you say "sour grape" around who use English as first language?

Ofcourse, Ted Ciamillo have not sent me my cranksets yet.
I don't know true English as ultimobici said, but robber? thief? burglar? crook? please choose something you like :D
There is not generally difference between what Ted Ciamillo has done, isn't there?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Mimizk wrote:Ofcourse, Ted Ciamillo have not sent me my cranksets yet.
I don't know true English as ultimobici said, but robber? thief? burglar? crook? please choose something you like :D
There is not generally difference between what Ted Ciamillo has done, isn't there?
While I can understand your frustration, using such libellous terms on a public forum is unwise.
And we only have your side of the story to judge. Hardly fair is it?

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I just want to make sure people understand correctly. Ciamillo refunded you for a special order but you are waiting for a crank you sent to be returned?

My advice would be to call him and ask. If there is no answer, continue to call until someone answers. I have a feeling the returned crankest might just be an oversight at this point. Believe me, coming from a person who sends multiple emails for orders and rarely gets a response VIA email, telephone is best.

I find that Ted usually answers calls either at the beginning of his day or closer to the end of day.

We have already read the several Google translated opinions you have so lets try and stick with the factual information and omit the name calling for the time being.

Your frustration is understandable but it makes more sense to be polite (be the better man) and persistent rather then come here and continue to name call with no means of a resolve.

There are plenty of people who want to read a positive outcome, myself included and if I can help you, again, you have my info. At the very least I can bring it up during our next conversation.

Good luck with it, really.
carbonLORD.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Apart from the issues mentioned above as anyone had any further experience with the Gravitas Crank? Just perused the website looking at brakesets and noticed he is doing package deals for the crank and negative g's for $799 which seems like great value. I would be tempted to purchase them if the cranks are indeed as light and stiff as claimed, would move the Rotor cranks on and upgrade if they are.

lannes

by lannes

Fixie82 wrote:Apart from the issues mentioned above as anyone had any further experience with the Gravitas Crank? Just perused the website looking at brakesets and noticed he is doing package deals for the crank and negative g's for $799 which seems like great value. I would be tempted to purchase them if the cranks are indeed as light and stiff as claimed, would move the Rotor cranks on and upgrade if they are.

You can get the crank and brake deal through a dealer, which seems to be the approach recommend by Ted himself.

http://www.irishcycles.com/ZEN151/index ... ucts_id=89

lewolive

by lewolive

I just wanted to share with you a picture of my bike with the 3.0 Ciamillo crank.

The crank is working very very well. I have a few customers who are riding the most recent version perfectly here in France.
Well, I'm just a little bit disappointed by the weight of my crank 175/130 which is 455g. At the same time the spindle is extra long to fit the BB86 of the canyon, but it'll be also the most demanded reference (BSA30) because the true BB30 has more competitors in terms of weight (Sram !).
Despite the additional weight of the crank, it feels lightweight and extremely stiff. I don't regret my Rotor 3D+ ! I'm using the Rotor 41/30 bearings, that are quite smooth, even in steel version.

I'm also optimistic for the next year because Ted has acquired a large knowledge in the crank industry, and he still has legendary machining skills. I'm sure he'll provide soon another version of the crank... but for now, I love my crank, and I'm sure it'll not be old fashioned in 2014 !
Ted is now working mainly on the GSL micro production and I think that early in 2014 he'll restart working on the crank, because anyway I have orders to fill in and I agree to say that the project deserves a better weight.

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Has anyone in the U.S. recieved their crank yet?

runner999

by runner999

Hbrown wrote:Has anyone in the U.S. recieved their crank yet?

Mine was delivered a few weeks back. Got the 3.0 BB30 172.5 compact in all black. Beautifully machined crank and also took delivery of the new Micro brakeset which are equally nice. Long wait but I think I’ll be happy with it. My crank weighs in at 458g without the rings mounted. Spider is screwed in which I’m happy to see. I could trim ~18g using Ti screws for the spider and spindle bolt. I've yet to install the crank or brakeset. Bad time of year for me to give a review in New England now that they started sanding and salting the roads. Waited too long to go out and trash either components. Only beater bikes get used this time of year so I’ll need to be patient for spring. :(

CGT

by CGT

Does anyone know the current status of the Gravitas crank project? I would be interested in getting my hands on a new crank in white, is that at all possible?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com