The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks for the reply. Is the Campagnolo freehub something like this?

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-whe ... tAodOjcAUw

Is the fit fairly universal across all Campagnolo hubs? I have never really dealt with Campagnolo before, so sorry for what may seem like a daft question!

jbf

by jbf

campbellrae wrote: I have been looking at Shimano Ultegra(heavy), Hope RS Mono(already have the previous generation which have been good) and Campagnolo Record(I use Sram so pretty sure these wont work, would love to be told otherwise as I think these are the ones I like most!). Are there any other hubs I should be looking at?

If you are running SRAM 22, I hear the Campy hub with Campy 11 cassette will work fine with SRAM 11 speed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I'm running Sram 10 speed, so not an option unfortunately.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The record 11 speed freehub comes with a 1.85mm spacer so it will take a 10 speed cassette. Given I supply/stock these hubs with a shimano freehub body already fitted I have pm'd you. Perfect hubs by the way.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Love my wheelbuild -- HED Belgium C2 laced to White Insdustries T11. Spokes are DT Competition double butted black. Currently rolling on Vittoria Open Corsa rubber.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@jbaillie- What a great build! Have you had a chance to log some miles yet? How do you like those rims? Great choice on the hubs by the way!

jooo

by jooo

@jbaillie - are they the newer, even wider HED rims?

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Thanks Zen, yes I rode most of this season on them and they're sublime!

Jooo yep they're the wider ones. Awesome in corners.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Any good source for Ti spokes. I fancy trying some in a silly light build.

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

jbaillie wrote:Jooo yep they're the wider ones. Awesome in corners.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the wider ones should say "Belgium +" and not "Belgium".

Belgium + = 25mm wide

Belgium = 23mm wide

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

bm0p700f wrote:Any good source for Ti spokes. I fancy trying some in a silly light build.

I'm curious too. My next build (only front wheel) will be matching a Farsports 20mm rim(16H) to a M5 straight-pull front hub, with CN Aero424 spokes. If only I can get hold of those elusive titanium bladed straight-pull spokes to maximize the silly factor! (As if a shallow front wheel to match the 38mm rear was not laughable enough...:lol: )

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Built these up today. I got them as samples, thinking of buying more. The first ride out tonight was really good the rims are 25mm wide and 50mm deep. I built the up 20 spoke front and 24 spoke rear with Miche Primato hubs of that drilling (I have to get these from the factory) and CX-rays. Weight 1650g which is not bad given the weighty hubs I have used. The braking is good and the ride well wow. The 23mm tyres on the bike now measure up at 26mm. Rim bed is smooth with no visible porosity, the weight of the two rims was within 2g, and the build was even tensioned as was with 0.2mm round and 0.1mm wobble. Pretty good rims.

I am putting 80mm conti tubes in tomorrow as those extenders are too long.

fogflip

by fogflip

HED Belgium FTW loving mine!

Svetty

by Svetty

Sorry to post this but with 299 pages I can't trawl the whole thread. I'm looking to start building my own wheels and was thinking a book would help get me started. There seem to be several - which one(s) should I consider to give me a solid grounding?

I understand the basic principles involved but the fancy stuff - deciding on rear D/S & NDS spoking patterns (and effect on spoke tension) etc is beyond me at present.

Cheers!

eric

by eric

That's part of the basic principles of wheel construction.

I recommend Jobst Brandt's book. Its easy to read and talks about all the basic factors in choosing lacing patterns etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com