Cheap, yet reliable training wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

We've had Mavic offer to replace and rebuild a heap of wheels from certain batches of their recent OP rims.

Hopefully the latest lot are ok...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miskur505

by miskur505

I was looking for advice regarding cheap clinchers (Shimano 10spd) primarily for training. I'm on a very tight budget and would like to get a set for strictly under $350. I weigh 180lbs and do a lot of sprinting so I would like the wheels to be stiff. Also, the roads I generally ride on can be pretty rough so something reliable would be nice to have. I am also be fine with buying used. Please give whatever advice/recommendations you have. Thanks in advance!

Flyfishing3

by Flyfishing3

Personally, I've had great success with mavic ksyrium elites

Tough, light, and can be found used for good prices

F45

by F45

I have a set of DA 7850 C24, DA 9000 C35, and Mavic Aksium. Those Aksiums cost me $150 with tires and I just cannot break them. I've crashed a bunch of times on my CX bike and they're still true.

mentok

by mentok

can you build your own? my BHS C472w / Sapim Race / BHS hubs cost about that and have proven to be fantastic training wheels

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I got some used stradalli 50mm with chosen hubs and aero spokes that i removed the decals from Ill sell you for about that much...haha.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kinlin XR-270 rims on Novatec A171/F172 hubs. Lightish and stiff oh and cheap.

RichieE46

by RichieE46

If you aren't going custom... I'd recommend looking into ROL wheels. Lightweight for training wheels and reasonable prices

Never had to use the customer service but the owner stands by his products from previous reviews I've read which is why I decided to go with them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

WinterRider

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote:Kinlin XR-270 rims on Novatec A171/F172 hubs. Lightish and stiff oh and cheap.

This is my plan... started last winter with the 270's at a closeout price. The 171 rear arrived today from bm0p700f and I'm impressed with the quality. Ideal purchase all the way around.

Now.. for the front. I'm a fitness rider at 220 lbs who ran 24H on the fronts of my new road bikes this summer.. 3200+ miles. The heavier dated Shimano hub laced radial and a Novatech 85 grm at 1x with Lasers heads out.. that another lacing experiment of mine. They'll be turned in this winter.
Brandon from BHS replied all of the front hubs can be radial laced... with 2x preferred on 24H and 20H a better candidate for radial. I've considered a 20H front.. my rationale is this: granted I'm somewhat heavy for a 20H front yet I do very little peddling while standing... only recently doing such on steeper grades. Mostly I'm a flat land rider. I run a 18-10 on one rear with near equal tension sides. Another MTB is triplet rear.. 16-8.. both are solid at my weight.

Anyone running 20H front with a heavier load like mine in a lightweight hub? Given a front does around half the load of a rear... seems to me a 20H KinLin 270 with a suitable hub should be fine for my purpose. I ride flat bars also.. no drops for me.

While not a true weight weenie.. IMO that term is relative to the situation the wheels are employed. Lighter is of course faster and more enjoyable to ride.. the thought of climbing back onto the winter rider for the 5 month hard water season on that slower bike is a big change. I enjoy building my own wheels.. I'm a fitness rider and have found over the yrs the lower spoke counts work fine. Quibbling about wheel weight and lower spoke counts if mostly recreational pursuit.. I find it fun.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

If you're not racing and you weigh 220 already, what's the point or risking a 20H build? Aerodynamics effects are minimal, and if you're not racing, who cares? Weight gain of 4 spokes is almost negligible. 20/24 seems too risky of a build.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

kulivontot wrote:If you're not racing and you weigh 220 already, what's the point or risking a 20H build? Aerodynamics effects are minimal, and if you're not racing, who cares? Weight gain of 4 spokes is almost negligible. 20/24 seems too risky of a build.

My rear is 28H. 18-10... that wasn't clear by my post.

Otherwise.. live and let live. :noidea:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

fireball05

by fireball05

How cheap is cheap? I've got tons of miles on a set of Fulcrum 1s I bought in my 2nd year of cycling back in 2007. 6 years, 3 Pennsylvania winters later, they are still going strong!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

How come you get handbuilts mail order exists you know.

J00P

by J00P

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, want to upgrade my CAAD10 - ultegra,
I'm looking for a wheel set to replace my Mavic Aksiums, (I'm 82 kg / 1.93m)
My requirements are:

- aluminium clinchers
- campagnolo compatible (I plan to change from ultegra to chorus)
- < 500,- Euro
- weight < 1550 g (of course lighter is better!)
- robust / durable

Options I found:
- Soul S 2.0 (1300 gr :thumbup: ), but I get the impression they 're not too suitable for daily use / training
- Soul S 3.0 (1550 gr)

- Campagnolo Zonda (1550 gr)
- Campagnolo Neutron Ultra (1480 gr) just a bit over budget

-american classic sprint 350 (1410 gr)

does anyone have experience with any of these:
http://superlight-bikeparts.de/Criteriu ... eronclick=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
they seem reasonably priced and lightweight.

Other suggestions are welcome! :welcome:
Both campagnolo sets seem to have a very good reputation, and they can be bought almost anywhere, which is an advantage over the Souls.
Thanks for advice!
Last edited by J00P on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

You could always lace up Pacenti SL23s to White Industries T11 hubs. That rim would give you a nice wide foot print which should give you small enhancements when cornering. The T11 hubs are outstandingly durable too and all though they aren't the lightest hubs out there they are extremely reliable and super easy to service when that time finally does come. That build with Cxrays in a 20/24 would come in right around 1460 grams and 560 Euros.