Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tune U20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 pm 
Offline
in the industry

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:31 pm
Posts: 348
Anyone using yet? Have one arriving soon, not sure what I want to do with it.

Image

_________________
carbonLORD.com


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:53 am
Posts: 60
I went with the Extralite Streeters because I liked their looks better, report back if you end up using those since I'm curious how they are :)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:26 pm
Posts: 839
I certainly prefer the refined look of the Tune QR. For me they're little works of art.

Everyone to their own regarding looks but when it comes to weight you can't argue with fact. My U20s are under 20g, they weigh 19g which is 10g lighter than the Extralite. That's 50% lighter which puts them in a different class.

In fact I'd go as far as to say I would rate the U20 QR as one of the best WW products available, possibly THE No.1. They are beautiful but also hugely powerful but easy to close and release. Also they don't have those annoying little springs that most QR have.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 8140
Location: Los Angeles / Glendale, California
carbonLORD wrote:
Have one arriving soon, not sure what I want to do with it.


Use it.

_________________
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 pm 
Offline
in the industry

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:31 pm
Posts: 348
prendrefeu wrote:
carbonLORD wrote:
...not sure what I want to do with it.


Use it.


Which bike?

http://www.carbonlord.com/example/Colnago_C59.jpg
http://www.carbonlord.com/example/S-WORKS_Venge.jpg

The C59 as it is lighter by about 0.10Kg

_________________
carbonLORD.com


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:53 am
Posts: 60
konky wrote:
I certainly prefer the refined look of the Tune QR. For me they're little works of art.

Everyone to their own regarding looks but when it comes to weight you can't argue with fact. My U20s are under 20g, they weigh 19g which is 10g lighter than the Extralite. That's 50% lighter which puts them in a different class.

In fact I'd go as far as to say I would rate the U20 QR as one of the best WW products available, possibly THE No.1. They are beautiful but also hugely powerful but easy to close and release. Also they don't have those annoying little springs that most QR have.


10g / 29g = 34.4%, not 50%. Personally speaking I'm wary of a skewer that goes that low, even though I know that's based completely on nothing but personal perception but for a 10g difference I'm fine with that (blasphemy, I know :p).

carbonLORD wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:
carbonLORD wrote:
...not sure what I want to do with it.


Use it.


Which bike?

http://www.carbonlord.com/example/Colnago_C59.jpg
http://www.carbonlord.com/example/S-WORKS_Venge.jpg

The C59 as it is lighter by about 0.10Kg


C59! :)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:46 pm
Posts: 322
Location: Amsterdam
carbonLORD wrote:


Order another set ;)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:26 pm
Posts: 839
Yes I was wrong on my percentages. Maths never was my strong point.

Even though the U20 is ultra light I still prefer it just in terms of function to any other I've tried. That includes DA and top of the range Campy and Mavic skewers. And that includes Lightweight QR that look similar but I don't think work as well. All these skewers are of course significantly heavier. Of the lightweight variety KCNC are also good but still nowhere near as good as the Tune ones. Way off Shimano DA and Campy but still not bad.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am
Posts: 427
carbonLORD wrote:
Anyone using yet? Have one arriving soon, not sure what I want to do with it.

Image



...or sell them to me :wink:

they're virtually impossible to obtain in the US


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 am
Posts: 104
they tend to squeak alot for me.. do not know whats wrong with them? :|

more like a creak sound when i jump out of the saddle . put them on both my C59 and Venge as well on 2 sets of Bora Ultra 2s and Mavic CCU.. sound doesnt seem to go away, although I've been assured by TUNE that being 200lbs isnt an issue.. Im using stock campag/mavic skewers for now.

Let me know how they go.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 1308
Location: Bergen, Norway
Used them for 2 seasons now. Awesome weight and the function is as good as DC14 or DC16+17 or Carbon-Ti. The only downside is that the right end has a spline into the dropout so hard to choose perfect position on the left side when tightening them. would like on for my mtb too :)

_________________
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 pm
Posts: 1563
Location: New Zealand
Not cheap though but hey that's the price of being a WW!!

_________________
2012 BMC SLR 6.02kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110390


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:20 am
Posts: 4
Give those classy things to the Colnago. Also I may need like 10 of them XD


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tune U20
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 399
are the shafts pure carbon or do they have some kevlar mixed into the matrix?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Robin-, Adamrushmer, NiFTY, Yahoo [Bot] and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited