Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tharmor

by tharmor

makerr wrote:Has anyone had experience with the Carbonzone 86mm 27mm wide clincher?
thanks

There is one guy on another forum who has a rear 86mm which he pairs with the 56mm up front. Both are from dengfu tho, but all of these 27mm wide wheels are made by the same manufacturer FlyBike in China.

**edit**

Found him in that thread I mention :: @hispeedmotorsport

Here is his picture ::

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drewb

by drewb

Update from LightBikes "painted brake track" issue.

I received a quick response from LB via email (24 hours after they returned from a holiday). They say they have fixed the brake track issue and have offered to send me a new rim. I immediately wrote back and asked what the solution was and if I could have 2 rims as it affected both wheels. I offered to pay shipping for both. This was 12 hours ago and I await a response.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Well, I congratulate them for being responsive and offering a fix for you.

drewb

by drewb

The solution appears to be no paint on the braking rim or a thinner layer. I am not sure from the email below.

Either way, I will report on the new rims when they arrive - but that might be in a while as I will then have to find someone in Sydney to rebuild the wheels.

If the email is to be trusted then this is an issue for this batch only and the other rims produced in the past few months have been fine. Again, they are an excellent handling and quality wheel (except for my braking surface).

------------------------

Hello Drew,

We can replace you new rim. And please check as below we solve the problem.
- For the problem, most customers do not have this kind of braking issue before. And there are quite a few custom feedback the rims are good.
And around the middle of Oct, some customers get rims with this kind of braking issue. Then we go to the production line to check.
And find the problem, It is the a kind of clear coat painting. And it is not allowed to paint on braking surface area too thick. So, it causes the painting peeling after a few days riding. And there is no painting guy joining the painting line, he is new, do not familar with this. So, we have set a few QC check ,to check the braking surface area, make sure it without painting material on braking track surface.
It is not carbon fiber peeling off. For carbon fiber material, it is not easy to going off.

So, only one batch of rims have this problem. We have made a instruction of painting process on the painting line. So, the new workers will follow the process to painting the road rims.
And now also QC check is checking the braking surface, to make sure no painting material is on braking surface.

- Before, there is no this kind of issue. We have started to sell U shape rims quite a few months. Only the last batch have this kind of issue.

Thanks,
Nancy

-----------------------

edroc73rp

by edroc73rp

Maybe they can send you a picture of the non-painted brake surface version of the wheelset so you can post it here? I'm sure a lot of about-to-pull-the-trigger members will appreciate this matter resolved including me. :)

drewb

by drewb

Light-bike update. 16/10/14

Here are the photos sent to me of the newer wheels without any braking surface problems.

(I have also been promised a new set of rims - and they should be sent out soon enough. - this was done a week or so ago, and it has been partly my fault that they have not been sent yet.)

I have also done another 200km on the wheels - some in gusty conditions, and they are still very very good. There is some blowing about in the higher winds. Not badly. From memory about what would happen with my Bontrager wheels. (but this is a pretty hazy and unreliable memory.) If anyone tells you that deeper wheels are immune to gusts then I would question them heavily - regardless of what brand they are talking about.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Received my replacement rim. It is very similar to the above picture of UD matte. Not going to replace it until something happens. Good customer service even though I was a Guinea pig.

Brandt

by Brandt

Hello everyone,

I'm considering making an investment in a pair of 50mm carbon wheels and at the moment I'm leaning towards the 23mm wide set from Farsports (link 1). I plan to build them up with Sapim CX Ray spokes and the ED Hubs with ceramic bearings.

1) http://wheelsfar.com/2014-new-50mm-clincher-wheels1330g-30g23mm-wide-p-211.html
2) http://wheelsfar.com/wide-50x24mm-clincher-wheels1470g-30g-p-299.html

The pros as I see it:
- T1000 carbon (high ultimate strength)
- Very competitive weight (less than my Zondas)
- High temp. resin on the brake track

The cross sections of the two wheels seem to be identical. They're not v-shaped but they're not toroidal either. Difference is one is 23mm wide, the other is 24mm:

Any cons I should be aware of?
Should I consider other wheels (e.g. the 45's from Light Bicycle)?

Please include reasons/explanations :)

sspring

by sspring

If the profile is accurate it looks kinda like a Firecrest profile. Doesn't seem to flare as much as the Light-Bicycle or Firecrest wheels at its widest point. Its important to get that flare for the airfoil effect. To me the 23mm version resembles the November Rail but more narrow. Still looks pretty good and obviously Farsports knows how to build a wheel.

Looks like its tubeless ready as well according to Farsports. I'd find out of there are holes in the tire bed. Light-Bicycle made my wheels without holes in the tire bed so I can run tubeless without any rim tape. I do recommend doing this. After riding tubeless I am convinced that is the way of the future. Ride quality is improved a great deal and when used with super light tubeless tires (240g) its lighter too. It is more work.....

That would be a nice wheel in my opinion

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

drewb wrote:There is some blowing about in the higher winds. Not badly. From memory about what would happen with my Bontrager wheels. (but this is a pretty hazy and unreliable memory.) If anyone tells you that deeper wheels are immune to gusts then I would question them heavily - regardless of what brand they are talking about.

25mm tires? If so I think you will lose most of the crosswind benefit. 28 spokes in the front won't help either.
formerly rruff...

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yes, Zipp used 23c for all of their aero testing. Have to hunt down the Bontrager white paper on what width they used for the D3 testing....wait a second...OK, the white paper from Bont D3 claims they used 23c also. They did a comparison of 23c to 27c. Quite a bit of added drag on the D3 and Zipp. 100gms of drag it creates the wider tire.

So certainly I would expect a 25c to add at least 50gms of drag aero. But, how much rolling resistance do you gain by the wider tire? Enough to offset the added aero drag?

Bont whitepaper...very interesting stuff.

http://media.bontrager.com/images/featu ... wheels.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Zigmeister wrote:But, how much rolling resistance do you gain by the wider tire? Enough to offset the added aero drag?

No... That's hardly anything.

And note... the tests you site were of TUBULARS. A 23mm tubular stays 23mm regardless of what rim it is on. A 23mm clincher goes to 25mm on a wide rim. If you want to replicate their 23mm tubular aero performance on your clincher wheelset, then you need to run ~20mm tires.
formerly rruff...

trilocus

by trilocus

i received today my uam 40mm wheelset, it's look pretty nice

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

WMW wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:But, how much rolling resistance do you gain by the wider tire? Enough to offset the added aero drag?

No... That's hardly anything.

And note... the tests you site were of TUBULARS. A 23mm tubular stays 23mm regardless of what rim it is on. A 23mm clincher goes to 25mm on a wide rim. If you want to replicate their 23mm tubular aero performance on your clincher wheelset, then you need to run ~20mm tires.

Yes, from a racing perspective, and likely at the higher pro level, they wouldn't run anything but tubulars...so expect the testing to follow, and the obvious benefits of tubulars.

No reason to run/test clinchers except for the convenience of fixing a flat on the road training. During a race, you got a wheel truck or short hop to the pits in a crit.

I simply went to the HongFu 40mm clincher for convenience/ease of flat fixing/tire swaps, and for now, I'm racing on them. They perform nearly as well as the 303 FC tubulars I just got rid of. Ride isn't as nice, or weight...but training on tubulars are a PITA if you flat to deal with on the road. Otherwise, yeah, test and ride tubulars...they are better overall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

makerr

by makerr

I recently purcharsed an 86mm carbon clincher front wheel from Carbonzone through ebay. It was the newer 27mm wide model. I was looking for a wheel that would be lighter and easier to handle in strong winds than the original specialized trispoke that I use currently. This wheel would be used mostly for riding flat to rolling time trials of which I ride about 20 a year. Most of the courses have light traffic and very little braking is required. I've now had three rides on this wheel and here are my observations so far.
The wheels arrived at my home in Eastern Canada ten days after I ordered them, and the box was in perfect condition, no dents or holes. The price of the wheel was $295US and I paid no import duties. Out of the box the wheel was radially true but required a few quarter turns to make them true laterally. The novatech hub is very smooth and quiet and the wheel seem to spin forever.The dimensions of the rim were as described on carbonzones website, and the inside of the rim was clean and free of any sharp edges.
23mm Michelin pro race tires went on and off way too easily using only my hands and had to be deflated a couple of times to eliminate bulges that formed where the tire failed to hook under the rim. I also tried a continental 24mm that went on using hands only but seated better the first time it was inflated. The valve hole was too small to allow my valve extender to go through, but after a bit of sanding and filing of both the hole and the extender the problem was solved.
One bothersome feature of this particular rim is a slight bulge in one spot that causes a strong pulse when braking, visually the wheel looks very true, and the bulge is only about 1mm however the pulse is very pronounced.
The wheel felt good when I got it out on the road, on a day of light winds , there were no handling issues at all. The next day provided strong gusty winds in the 40km/hr range , and the bike was of course a handful at times.
The next day winds were in the steady 15km range and handling was fine, my feeling a this point would be that these deep profile wheels handle more predictably and consistently than the trispoke, but there are days that I would choose to leave them at home.
The pulsing aside, I was surprised by how well this wheel stopped using the supplied black pads on the basalt brake track. I've never owned or ridden a carbon wheel before and had read many reports of poor braking. These seem to stop just as well as any alloy rim that I've used. The other thing that was new to me as a first time user was the resonating hum of the carbon wheel, which I stopped noticing after a while.
If this wheel proves to be faster than the Campagnolo Vento wheel that I also use for TT's (it's always been faster than the trispoke)
I'll consider this a worthwhile purchase and if not it will likely get sold.
I'll keep riding this wheel until we get snow , and hopefully report again as I gain more experience with it.
Thanks