Fausto Coppi steel aero bike project 2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

civdic

by civdic

What about a silver post and silver chainrings to go with the stem and headset. Black saddle and bar tape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

civdic wrote:What about a silver post and silver chainrings to go with the stem and headset. Black saddle and bar tape.

A silver post will probably look way better. I just finished polishing an old Campagnolo seatpost and I will put it on the bike tonight to see if silver really really looks the part. I prefer not to change the saddle for now, since it is by far the best I have ever owned.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I have logged the first 100 km on the bike and the ride was truly a revelation.

My previous experience with an oversized steel frame was with a Ciocc Freeride frame built from Dedacciai Sat 14.5 tubing. Although this frame ensured plenty of vibration dampening, it also felt rather sluggish. Great for touring, but not something I would like to use for racing.

The Coppi also dampens road buzz beautifully, but at the same time it really encourages you to stomp the pedals and go all out. I was afraid that the threaded steel fork might compromise the steering, but luckily that was not the case. Overall I am really happy with the frame so far :thumbup: .

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

This weekend I ended third in a local criterium on the Coppi, which was really cool. The look on everyone's faces, when they learned I rode a vintage steel bike, made it even better :lol: . You can see me below on the right side of the picture.

Today I switched the Centaur carbon groupset for a Chorus 9-speed groupset. I also put in a pair of Shamal wheels to see how they would look. The polished Record seatpost is just temporarily, seeing as it is a tiny bit too small for me. Looking better?

djay001

by djay001

you race without handlebar tape?

the bike look better with the shamal, and you really need to go with a polished seapost like this record

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Congrats on the race SWijland-----at my age you are too FAUS TO COPPI----it definitely does look better now----sweet bike

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@djay001: normally I ride with bar tape, but in this case I didn't have any time to finish off the bike properly. At the end of the race I heard the judges thought about not allowing me to start because of it. Luckily they ended up letting me start anyway :thumbup: .

Rumsas

by Rumsas

SWijland wrote:

So cool :beerchug:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Different stem and seatpost. Not sure if I am liking them though :| ...

Rumsas

by Rumsas

The stem is better

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I like the stem too, but I'm not so fond on the seatpost. I would like a nice aero seatpost, but those are typically shorter than I require. Maybe a Miche Supertype?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I got tired of finding right components and put the frame up on Ebay. This just might be the nicest frame I have ever owned, but the colors and shape just don't seem to work right with any of the parts available today, none that I tried anyway. I hope it goes to a new owner who can really appreciate this amazing frame.