Mapei Colnago CT-1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

lol guys, youve got to know that these words are like knives! I used to love to come to this website and now when I visit I just read people hating on me and my bike :P

To clear somethings up-
1. I drilled one entirely new, clean hole; that was thru a braze on cable boss on the downtube. If I ever did, for some silly reason, want to put cables back on this bike I would just need to take it to my local shop and have them braze on and color match a new boss.

2. The other two holes already existed on my frame. One was a drainage hole and the other bolt hole for the cable guide. I widened the bolt hole so that I could also run cables thru it because it would put them in a more favorable position. flipped the di2 box to use the drainage as a bolt hole and tapped it out.

3. I fit on the bike just fine, did a solo century on it yesterday with lots of dirt and spent all of last weekend exploring the smokies and blue ridge and it was perfect. When Im going hard up the climbs its easy to adopt a more upright position and get comfy for the pain; but on the flats I put my wrists on the drops and my back is just as flat as when im low on my S5. It has like 5cm of drop, how much do I NEED? And who cares how much seat post is exposed? my saddles where it needs to be so I think its just fine!

4. I'll never sell it. Like I said on page one this is my dream bike/frame and I'll likely have it until I and or it I meet our end.

5. Whoever told me to put campy on it please, please, please go look at a pic on an original Mapei bike. http://ftp.cyclingnews.com/tech/2002/fe ... /?id=mapei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; SHIMANO YOU GOONS

6. The time fork really needed to be replaced and the reynolds is the best 1in option that I know about. The Time had a carbon steer tube that had a star nut driven and upon inspection it had cut up the carbon really badly on the I.D. and I was quite afraid to ride it. Ive been really looking for a Mapei painted straight colnago fork but there is just no easy place to pick one of those up right away!

7. The SRAM crank is a power meter. I am a racer, I train with power, and Im not going to let crank aesthetics get in the way of my workouts. I am looking for an old DA or Sci SRM wired to replace the quarq with but I keep getting outbid.

8. If its the Zipp stuff that you guys have a problem with I guess I understand; I just went with it because its what I have on my other bikes and I know the ergonomics. I was looking at Deda stuff but it confused me. They, like all cockpit manufacturers, seems to have like 5 different lines and I dont know which to go with as Ive never held any in real life. I dont want to shell 100 bucks 5 times to try them out so I just got what I know.

9. The original idea was a total period style bike but whilst building it a different idea took root in my mind. That was to try and build the cycling equivalent of a touring car or a cafe racer motorcycle. A beautiful exterior that hearkens back to a favorite era with the umfh and undercarriage of a modern racer. I seem to have made some missteps :noidea: I guess its abit harder as the components decide the look of the bike much more than the engine defines the looks of a car.

10. Im going to ride this bike alot. It had been my main road bike for the last few weeks and has 1000 hard miles on it. Ernesto didnt make it too lean it up against a wall and take pretty pictures and so I dont intend to use it for that. I'll try and make it look good but if it interferes with my riding then its got to go!

11. You guys need to chill.

I love this sight and so when my bikes are getting bad mouthed it really does make me want to change them up. So I'm really going to put some work into this guy and see if I cant make something that will make ya'll proud.

OH and a TLDR for our lazy readers, Sorry im not sorry!
Last edited by shoopdawoop on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Don't sweat it, it's still a production bike and can be replaced. There are lots out there (don't do it to a Team bike, as those in good condition are rarer than hens teeth). Whats up with all the Mapei bikes on the Board these days? Awesome!

de zwarten

by de zwarten

@ Saeco2002: stick to commenting on the bike, not on the people. That is just cheap.

@Shoopdawoop: at the one hand I applaud your sense for adventure, at the other hand I would never had drilled anything. (comment #1, #2)
You give some answers that are susceptible for discussion:
#5: some remarks: you show a C-40. The original CT-1 was used first by Tony Rominger in the Vuelta. The fact that Mapei was always sponsored by Shimano as parts supplier, should not automatically result in a Shimano built for any mapei Colnago. The contrary is also true. Choose whatever you like, but do not support your reasoning with 'being politically correct' while you are so far away from even trying to be 'correct' in anything about the build. Just be consequent. The bike, as it is now, is possibly very nice to ride, and I think it looks good, as well (with the low rims).
#6: I have offered a star on this forum previously, but I did not have any takers for 200 euro. (it is not for sale anymore, I'll keep it). Just to say that with some patience, you can find one. I don't know what would be 'time correct', as the first CT-1 would probably have had a steel fork (but this one seems to be more modern).
#9: There is nothing wrong with the way you built it. Except that you gave some false hopes in your first post building it with Campa...

But you also give answers that everybody should agree with (#3, #4, #7, #8, #10, #11).
From those answers, I feel that you are enjoying the bike a lot, and in the end, that is what matters the most.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I call dibs on the Star fork !
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

mrfish

by mrfish

Some thoughts on how to improve it:

1) An aluminium Dura Ace round Shimano seat post, available from Ebay. Probably not so cheap now.
2) ITM Millenium or other period stem (ideally silver version) and 1" bars
3) Ambrosio, GEL330 or similar wheels with groupset or silver hubs (King, White industry...) and silver spokes
4) Gum walled tyres, e.g. Veloflex
5) One of the Colnago straight forks mentioned previously
6) Mix in Dura Ace 7700 parts where possible, e.g. brakes as grey 7900 looks odd
7) Ultegra Di2 Brake levers, remove black varnish then polish (I don't think this will work unfortunately as 7900Di2 wiring is different)
7) early SRM
8) Shimano shiny silver QRs
9) More classic saddle, e.g. Regal, Flite, Turbomatic, Turbo Lite. Or Prologo scratch for a balance between retro and modern
10) DA SPD-R pedals
11) Elite Ciussi stainless cages

LionelB

by LionelB

I still cannot get over the drilling.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

In a general sense it kills me how people put their bikes up here and get their feelings all hurt when they get killed by some of the peeps. Oh, and that frames too big for you....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Just won

http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/forks_r ... TREET.html

Would this one float yalls boat? Does anyone know a US shop/distributor that would have one? I kind of love it. Planning on pairing it up with a chris king 1" headset. Going to replace the seatpost collar with a matching black one as well.

Geoff

by Geoff

I still have an SRM Professional of the same vintage in-service. It is still running perfectly. That PCIV was not equalled until the PC7 came out. Awesome kit.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

More wires, Yippee! Get the drill out. I like the sound it makes. Lol.
Actually, nice bit of kit for what you're doing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I can just run the wire through the same hole. So much better than having some cables or wires obscuring that beautiful paint scheme.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

For that kind of coin you can get a much nicer fork, even in 1". Enve, 3T, and Time all offer 1" options that are in that same price range.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

socratease

by socratease

@saeco:
Links or they don't exist.

Sweet build. I like that it's function over form. I imagine it rides great. Besides, the form is... coming along. You knew you were going to cause butt-hurt when you got a collector's item to be built up to be throttled.

PS: Can we all agree to stop defending the group when it becomes malicious?

PPS: I'm interested in that fork. I'd like to see the extent of the damage and if it can be salvaged.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

absolutely, that frame needs more holes :twisted:

just joking, enjoy your bike to the max
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com