£10,000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffbernaud

by jeffbernaud

Anybody rode Parlee Z5sli,Specialized Sl4 and Cannondale evo black inc because I need to spend my pennies wisely with no regrets.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've ridden all 3 and would say you really can't go wrong with any of them. They all ride great. Personally I prefer the Parlee as it's not as common as the others, and to me having something that is different adds value, but you should be super happy with any of them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hiro11

by hiro11

For that kind of cash, why go with a mass produced bike?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I would buy Gum's Crumpton......

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

No offense to Gum, but I wouldn't buy his bike even if it was the right fit.

But anyway, 10k quid?
Either go custom, all in on one bike.... there you can go with a Crumpton or Parlee or the endless flurry of 'get this one!' ideas

Or buy two separate bikes. Yet more possible options just to kick things off:
Maybe take a Neil Pryde Bura SL and build up something special with a mix of high-end components and intelligently selected performance-for-price options.
The rest use to build up a gravel grinder, a monster cross, or a great XC trail bike.

If you have the funds, an expanded range of capabilities is an under appreciated quality to have in your ride stable.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tinozee

by tinozee

I would advise you to get whichever one has the best geometry match to your body. For example, the 58 SL4 is ideal for me but the Evo is a bit too long in my size to run it the way i like with a long stem. I'd compare stack reach and ST angle of all three frames to get a quick idea.

53x12

by 53x12

btompkins0112 wrote:I would buy Gum's Crumpton......

I hope joke? :lol:

Out of those three, I would probably go Parlee/Evo Black Inc tied depending which you like the look of better. Then have the SL4 trailing significantly.

But with that price limit, why not a Crumpton/Baum/AX Lightness something else not as common? I guess the Parlee and Evo Black aren't that common either.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You could buy some Lew Borons http://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/article/how-much-lew-racings-us15000-wheels-12670/, but that would only leave you about 700 quid for the rest of the bike.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

A Parlee or Crumpton, at that budget you could go full custom with a unique custom paint job and a selection of some fantastic parts.
If the geo is right the standard offerings from Crumpton and Parlee are great too, and would leave enough cash for a great training-bike/Cx/MTB
Other options would be Cyfac, Alchemy, Tommasini, Sarto or Legend by Bertoletti. All available as custom hand built frames.

I would avoid Specialized/Cannondale/Trek or other big commercial brands as they have their name on bikes from a few hundred dollars, makes your bike blend I to a sea of anonymity except to bike connoisseurs.

Let us know what route you choose to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

laxer29

by laxer29

I actually was debating the Parlee Z5SLI and the S-Works Tarmac SL4 and actually just ordered the SL4. Both fit well and rode similarly, but at end of day I liked the frame and aesthetics of the S-Works over the more traditional Parlee.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Just got an S-Works SL4 and can say its a phenomenal bike. FWIW.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LEC135

by LEC135

I went from a Cannondale super 6 hi-mod (top of the range at the time) to a Z5 SL and didn't really expect there to be much difference at that top level - It was amazing the Parlee was simply better at everything and I loved my Cannondale so that makes it a very very good bike. Not ridden the Spesh but for £10k you don't want a Specialized!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I've been having the should I get a crumpton or another z5 conversation with some one who knows more than most of us....

The crumptons do not use a tapered steerer tube. ( for me as a guy who really likes to push hard down a hill is a selling point ) They do ride really nice though. I’d say a custom Crumpton is right on Par with the Z5 which is a stellar riding bike in my opinion. The problem with the stock Crumpton Team is that it is a bit heavier, usually around 1000 grams for the frame.

And then there is this review.. http://velove-cycles.com/?p=196#axzz2bMJslWtU

:thumbup:

So the question is what do you want for you 10k?

Lightest bike you can build and still ride the sh@t out of?

Easy get the Evo and build it with ax/THM/tune/dash

Want a sub 6kg bike that makes you get outa bed in the dark to ride 200kms in the rain?

Easy get the z5sl and deck it out with ee brakes, a THM SRM, and get 2 sets of enve wheels ( 3.4 clinchers and a set of 1.25 tubs :thumbup: )

10 k on a Tarmac.. Not an option I'd take :mrgreen: