Powermeter choice - Vector or Rotor power crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

greenplay

by greenplay

what is best a rotor power crank ,or garmin vector i have a garmin 810

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

It depends on if you like Look Pedals. Right now Garmin Vector is proven good. Rotor had early issues. Both give L-R power. Vector will likely give some sort of pedal stroke analysis at some point reasonably soon. Rotor I don't know. Which is heavier depends on what you'd have for that part otherwise. Rotor should work better with oval chainrings, I'd hope.

greenplay

by greenplay

Thanks I was thinking vector. I have more than 1 bike just don't know as I would have a spare rotor crank

jockster

by jockster

I like the idea of having power meters in my pedals. Easy to switch between different bikes - much easier than a crankset or a powertap hub inside a rear wheel.

However I have had crashes in the past that has completely torn the pedals into pieces. Never broken a crank in a crash though.

So personally I have bought Power2Max (with Rotor 3D crankset) and are very happy with them.

As far as pedal effectiveness/smoothness goes, science say that this isn't something that you should be concerned with. A good search should provide you with some valid data on this.

greenplay

by greenplay

Thanks will keep looking

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

Given the reviews and feedback, I'm not sure I would go with either. I was pumped for vector to come out, but at its price point and with the extensive setup process, I'm not sure the benefit is really there. And rotor seems like it has a lot of potential, but also seems like they have a lot they need to sort out before you can buy in confidence.

I recently got a p2m, after the price drop, on rotor 3d+ cranks with the praxis works rings and couldn't be happier.

53x12

by 53x12

"Given the reviews and feedback, I'm not sure I would go with either. I was pumped for vector to come out, but at its price point and with the extensive setup process, I'm not sure the benefit is really there. "

Arguments can be made that it is priced competitively as you are getting two power meters for the price. Whether or not you want to agree with that is another issue.

What extensive setup process? You mean when you first install them and making sure they are torqued correctly? Once installed correctly, the process before each ride isn't any different than other pm on the market.
Last edited by 53x12 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

greenplay

by greenplay

Dam just wanted something easy to fit ect my mate is selling an srm rotor3d but it's got 175 arms and mine are 170 is this a problem

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

53x12, I mentioned the setup in regards to the selling point of being able to quickly and easily swap the pedals back and forth between bikes just like standard pedals. I have not installed vectors myself, but after reading Ray at DC Rainmaker's review and a few others, it takes much longer to set them up properly (when moving between bikes) than a simple pedal swap typically would. If you're simply installing them once, I would agree with you - it's probably just as much or even less time than installing a crank based system.

In regards to the price, I was initially excited when they were proposed to be launched at $1200. At $1700, there are a few crank based options for that or less, and a PT is considerably less.

greenplay

by greenplay

Thanks for your input

53x12

by 53x12

weekapaugin wrote:53x12, I mentioned the setup in regards to the selling point of being able to quickly and easily swap the pedals back and forth between bikes just like standard pedals. I have not installed vectors myself, but after reading Ray at DC Rainmaker's review and a few others, it takes much longer to set them up properly (when moving between bikes) than a simple pedal swap typically would. If you're simply installing them once, I would agree with you - it's probably just as much or even less time than installing a crank based system.

In regards to the price, I was initially excited when they were proposed to be launched at $1200. At $1700, there are a few crank based options for that or less, and a PT is considerably less.

I think even DCRainmaker would agree the first time he installed them he didn't take the time to do it correctly. After he noticed the issue and installed them the right way there was no issue. I would agree that the time difference between swapping pedals and crank/crank arm is minimal if any.

The benefit of the Garmin is for those that have multiple bikes that have different cranks (BB30, BSA...etc.) and different wheels (training and racing). I am one of those as I have several wheels I use (no PT for me) and I have several bikes with different cranks (no Stages/Quarq/SRM). Garmin is the only viable option for me to make me happy. Plus all the cool analysis options that Garmin will soon incorporate.

Another benefit is for those that travel frequently and either rent or borrow a bike on their trip. Want power during your trip? Just throw on your Garmin pedals. Easy peasy.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

greenplay

by greenplay

yes i think your right aim going garmin i have an edge 810 nice bit of kit

djconnel

by djconnel

Big thing on Vector, I think, is to make sure the number of spacers correct and the torque is sufficient @ a relatively high (definitely not "finger-tight) spec. Still, I think the swappability assertion has been somewhat overestimated. It's not that challenging to swap a crank with the same bottom bracket.

Part of the return on investment on Vector is the promise for future pedal stroke analysis. It seems to me they focused on their core functionality for initial release, but the capacity is certainly there for some interesting numbers other than just L-R.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

53x12 wrote:Garmin is the only viable option for me to make me happy. Plus all the cool analysis options that Garmin will soon incorporate.
Let's just hope that "Divine Cycling Group Acquiring Garmin Cycling Power Business" is not the next headline we read.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com