CX Pedals - EggBeater 3 or Frog

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rijndael

by rijndael

I have Shimano 540 pedals now, and I don't like the stiff float. I'm considering either the EggBeater 3 or SP Frogs.

How is the float on the Eggs? Is it looser than the SPDs? Are the Candy pedals a better choice?

Is the float on the Frogs adjustable, like on Zeros?

I can get the EggBeater 3s for $65, which seems like a great deal, which is about $50 cheaper than I can get the Frogs. If there's little difference, I'd go with the cheaper option.

RussellS

by RussellS

I do not think Frogs are good cyclocross pedals. Good for road riding. My Mom and several friends use Frogs on the road. Seem to work just fine. Frogs are not good at cyclocross because the cleat and pedal can easily get clogged with mud. Its a thin cleat that fits over/around the pedal. No room for mud. Frogs cannot be adjusted. You get the 20 degrees or so of float and that is it. It is free float. No spring resistance like SPD.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thewatchtech

by thewatchtech

No experience with Frogs, but I did switch from SPDs to Egg 3's last year for 'cross, mtb and road. The limited float options (15 or 20 degrees) with the Eggs takes some getting used to. More frustrating...I've got 3 pairs of the Eggs and they all release a bit differently with the same cleats. I rode one absurdly muddy race and had no trouble with the Eggs so I still give them a thumbs up for 'cross.

rijndael

by rijndael

Thanks for the replies.

Yesterday I ended up tracking down the stiff float. I've never ridden on the SPDs, so I didn't know what was normal. It turns out that the tread material on the bottom of the shoe was interfering with a good cleat to pedal mating. I broke out the dremel and the float is now 1/5th the effort that it was before, and the click-in is far more positive.

I'm going to sit tight with the SPDs.