HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:41 am 

As a former Speedplay user, I like the Dura Ace pedals I have been using, but I find the lack of float a little uncomfortable. Even with the "6 Degree Float" cleats it seems like "float" is really almost nonexistent (by comparison at least).

But it occurs to me that the simliar LOOK system has a 9 deg. float cleat, and the amount of float seems to be just dependent upon the width of the pedal's "lip" and the width of the "recess groove" in the cleat.

Has anyone ever tried to increase the float of SPD-SL system by slightly filing down the pedal's lip or widening the cleat recess, with a dremel ?

Or is this just a plain bad idea ?

I searched this forum and all over the internet and found nothing.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 am 

6 degrees of float is plenty; why do you need more?

it'd be possible, I think, but really too much work to do so. not worth the effort IMO. you'd need to calculate and then build something to preecisely measure the amount of material you'd want to dremel off. and you'd have to do it for ALL your cleats. just get speedplays if you wnat that much float and sell the dura ace pedals.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 am 

I was required to move from Speedplay to Shimano (for my team) this year. The transition was tough, had to play with my cleat position a lot. All in spite of me appreciating the comparative lack of 'attention' Shimano pedals require (compared to Speedplay).

That said, if a lot of float is important to your riding comfort then I have to wonder why you made the switch?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm 

I didn't really think float was all that important until after making the switch. In fact, I had experimented with 0 float on my speedplay zeroes.

And I have not been having any knee problems. It is more like I just feel the torque on my knees occasionally and WANT to have some more float. The lack of float gives me a "claustrophobic feeling". It is not a huge issue, but it got me thinking of going back to a better float setup.

As far as 6 degrees being enough....well, apparently it isn't. :) Maybe people who haven't ever used speedplays don't realize that pedals like Shimano and Look don't really have "float"...they have "ability to move your foot if you try hard enough". But the "float" on speedplays (and maybe Times) is virtually frictionless.

Last edited by Rick on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:26 pm 

Is it the lack of float, or that the float is now under tension and not totally loose/free like on Speed Plays?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:29 pm 

rijndael wrote:
Is it the lack of float, or that the float is now under tension and not totally loose/free like on Speed Plays?

Good question: BOTH.
What "float" is there does not feel "floaty" enough, AND I feel torques to the leg as I randomly and occasionally come up against the stops.
±3° is not really very much; and I spent a long time trying to make sure the float range is centered about my "natural" position.

I feel like the lower I go the more pigeon-toed I go, but when I jump out of the saddle my feet want to turn outward and my ankles are twisting in toward the cranks.

On speedplays you just never feel a difference.

Why not just go back to speedplays ? That is under consideration. But switching pedal systems is always a bit of a bother, so I was just exploring the possibilities.

Last edited by Rick on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:34 pm 

Good luck with your modification search, but it sounds like you're better suited on SpeedPlay pedals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 pm 

Are you sure you have the cleats in the right position? If you're feeling like you need more float in one direction only that's a sign that your cleats need to be moved.

Shimano float will loosen up a little as the cleat wears. You could speed that by lightly sanding the bottom of the cleat.

The difference between the float and no float cleats is in the nose of the cleat- the no float cleats have a wider nose. So that's where the float is, not in the back where it clips in. If you want more float you could sand down the sides of the nose.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:01 pm 

I think I am in the correct position, because I don't notice a preference for going up against the inside or outside limit.

I have noticed the float loosening up a little, and I have even tried to enhance that by lubing the surfaces lightly.

I notice that the float cleat is modified at both the nose and the tail. (I have both blue and yellow cleats) And I would be willing to try modification, but I wanted to see if anyone else had actually done it; only because I don't want to weaken the cleat or create some unexpected problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 pm 

I'm sort of in the same position here. Was on Zeros and now riding DAs. I love everything about the speedplays but mine have too much lateral roll in the foot and it was causing me knee pains. I really miss the Speedplays, though, it was really easy to get in and out and frictionless, 'unlimited' float...

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 pm