Cockpit Suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which cockpit would you run?

FSA
7%
Ritchey
29%
3T
29%
Deda
14%
Zipp
21%

Total votes: 14

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Guys, need your advice/input for what components to use for my next build. Reason for having the choices listed:
1. I prefer traditional bend bars
2. Need a 15-25SB seatpost and it must work with Fizik braided rails
3. Durable/Reliable

I have used 3T and EDGE/ENVE in the past, happy with them just interested in feedback on other brands.
Last edited by Herb5998 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimmS

by TimmS

As far as I know FSA and Deda don't produce traditional handlebars anymore (in 31,8).
This leaves you with 3T and Ritchey.

Then Ritchey only produces traditional handlebars in alu.
So if you want carbon, 3T is your only option.

I would also have a look at Zipp, they have some nice new traditional curves, also carbon, not sure whether they are available yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

I am a year in with my zipp course sl in black.
Im verry happy with it, its slid not super light but works very well for me (;

THSdrummer

by THSdrummer

I run a mix of components for cockpit and seatpost.

Handlebars: Deda Newton Shallow (31.7 = 31.8 traditional drop bar)
Stem: Ritchey W260
Seatpost: Ritchey Superlogic

Ritchey and Deda only make traditional drops in aluminum. The Newton Shallows are popular. I know they have a Newton Deep as well, which follows the more traditional reach and drop specifications of a vintage traditional drop bar.

Tragically, I didn't own a scale when I mounted the Dedas, so I don't have an actual weight on them. I might be able to get that in a week or so.
2012 Cannondale CAAD10 3 - 8.08Kg
(Just began the weight reduction process)

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Thanks for the input so far. For users of the ritchey classic bend, have you used a 3T Rotundo and what do you think of the two?

@michel2, how do you find the drop on the zipps? I like their stem and seatpost designs, but the very shallow drop seems like it would be an issue I have larger (not huge) hands

michel2

by michel2

I really love them, i think mu hands are large-ish and i ride alot in the drops. I had the flat top hsndlebarss before but by mistake had them replaced with round top bars. I want a size less wide, i run campa and pretty much shift from any position without any drama

hzucker

by hzucker

Love the zipp. I got the sl145 and the SC SL bars. They are excellent.

Solid, light enough for me and don't have to worry about the carbon breaking.

the asthetics are +1 too

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I've used pretty much every traditional round bar on the market, in aluminum and carbon. I think the Rotundo Pro is a bit stiffer than the Ritchey Classic.

My favorite, by far, is the Pro Vibe carbon round bar. They are decent weight, very stiff, and have a better bend (ATMO) than any of the other round bars on the market. I've used them with Sram, Campy, and Shimano levers. They also make a nice stem and setback seatpost. You can even get carbon in the bar/stem/post if you desire... or save some money and go aluminum on some of the bits (especially the stem).

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Updated poll to include Zipp. The looks and weight/stiffness look nice. for the Zipp Traditional bend, how does it look/feel with campag levers? From the few pictures I can find, the setup looks a bit odd as opposed to a traditional round bend, but maybe it's just those individual pics.

stormp

by stormp

I am currently running complete zipp cockpit. SLC2 handlebar, SL seatpost and sl145 stem. Stiffnes and lightweight! But yet comfortable! Great deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com