Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Yes some of the tubes change a bit. The seat tube, seatstays and downtube are round/oval. The toptube changes it's shape all the way, and also chainstays of course.

Yes, basicly I started with this project to see how a different layup will perform. In theory it should be a bit improved and it may save some weight. But mostly because I changed a bit the design of the seatstays. Otherwise in general the thickness is pretty much the same, but there will be more layers, or better said more thinner pieces of carbon (the thickness will be prety much the same) used for this project. It's a bit more specific layup and I'm really interested how it will perform compared to my previous frame project.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danny

by danny

Hi berk,

have you ever considered to start project for frame with moulding process? Draw frame on cad and then make frame's part mould with a cnc machine. I have a littele hobby cnc machine and I would like to try this technics, in your opinion what are the biggest problems?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi danny,
sure I did, but the main problem are at this moment the costs. Basicly I made the moulds by myself and they're ok, but of course I would really like to make it someday with a CNC machine and with metal.
The second problem is that all those companies where they make me those moulds are just too busy or not really willing to work on those moulds. For example that's the problem with my saddle project, where I wait for weeks/months to get the moulds. Otherwise once I have one mould I can make more moulds by myself (I can copy it and make a carbon fiber mould..). If I would have my own CNC machine I bet I would realize all my projects as soon as I would get the idea, but as an 21 years old studend I really can't afford it yet. Hopefully some day:)

danny

by danny

in your projects do you ever use prepeg or only normal cloth? I know the problem for prepeg is to storage in a fridge but have more put life for working.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I do have some prepreg properly stored, but at this moment I don't really work a lot with it. But my aim is to completely switch to prepreg as soon as possible.

Here just another update, also glued the seatstays, the weight at this moment is 668g:

Next step is to make the carbon reinforcements on the joints, it may add around 200g, we'll see...of course some more sanding etc. to do before I start with the last step of carbon work.

tharmor

by tharmor

Congrats on reaching 100 pages Berk! Your body of work is simply ridiculous.

danny

by danny

which type of bb do you use in this project? pressfit?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@tharmor
Thanks, I just love this work!

@danny
Yes it's pressfit BB30, like I have on my PT5 bike.

The headtube is tapered 1 1/8 - 1 1/4

laxer29

by laxer29

Hi just wanted to say I went through each of the 100 pages and very impressed with your work and dedication. Amazing!

trilocus

by trilocus

Thank You Berg to repair my saddle. Regards from Spain

progetto

by progetto

Jure, any chance you can post up some pictures of your bladders and techniques for making them out of vacuum film, I'm very interested in your process.
Bill

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@layer29
Wow, thanks :beerchug:

@trilocus
No problem!
(repaired the saddle rails and also changed the leather, sorry for the bad photo quality)

@progetto
Unfortunatley I don't have any photos at this moment, can make them as soon as I'll have the chance. Otherwise I make the bladders by myself, I think that I already posted a photo (not sure?) from the bladder that I used to make the chainstays.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Headtube reinforcements in process.

This time I'll reinforce each joint separately, just to get all the details how much does each reinfocement weight...this frame should have around 800g once it's finished.
Compared to PT5 it should have the similar properties, but with more than 100g lower weight, mostly because I changed a bit the chainstays and toptube, and the complete layup is different..I'll keep you updated!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Headtube bearing seats are also made with carbon:
On the photo you can see also the moulds that still have to be prepared for some carbon work

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

progetto

by progetto

Thanx for the construction photo's Jure, it's always good to see how people tackle this side of the work. Keep them coming.
Bill