Leg warmers vs knee warmers, what says ww?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I know the difference physically, just not sure which one would be best in real world use? I need some new/more cold weather gear due to having moved to a colder climate. Would I be happier with the leg warmers? Anyone use both?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I use both, but it is more a temperature thing for me....I use the knee warmers when it is moderately cold (45-55) and the leg warmers when it is colder than that.

Rick

by Rick

I like knicks when it is under 65°
Knee warmers are like knicks, but you can take them off if it is expected to warm up.
If there is going to be a big difference, like an early-morning race through the mtns, that then ends with it getting real warm in a valley, I have used leg warmers so they can be removed. But usually, if it is that cold and I don't expect to want to remove them, I prefer full bib tights, because they keep your ass warm also.

So it is all a trade off about being able to remove parts and if you really expect to need to.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

My general rule of thumb is 0 degrees and below (or close to 0 and very windy) are leg warmers. Above 0, and especially if temp is going to rise, it's knee warmers up to ~15 degrees or so.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Thanks guys. Any issues with knee warmers sliding down even if you wear them under your bib shorts?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

My first season of riding I didn't shave my legs and the knee warmers were all over the place, but now with smooth legs they stay put.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Not really, you just have to get them high enough so that your bib or short grippers grab them. It is nice to be able to loose the warmers when the temp gets warmer on a long ride.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

djconnel

by djconnel

Not so long ago leg warmers used to be very unfashionable, and there was no question what the answer was. But since then, I think especially with the availability of compression tights, you see a lot more full length tights, even in the moderate temperatures of the San Francisco Bay area.

I prefer knee warmers, however. I can use knee warmers in conjunction with compression calf sleeves, which give full length coverage, and the compression calf sleeves provide a better fit than full-length tights, which have too many fitting parameters. My Voler knee warmers (I like the white solar ones, which are very light) due tend to move on my since my legs are relatively thin, even for a cyclist. But they're easy to re-adjust, even on the bike, so it's not that big a deal.

If it's going to be colder than around 5C, I use the tights, typically even in conjunction with knickers, or if not, with knee warmers on top.

But given the choice, I like knee warmers.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

For me it's knee warmers when the temps get to around 10 c, lower than that I switch to thermal tights. Chances are pretty good that if the temperature is low enough to need the thermal tights it ain't gonna get any warmer, so I don't need to worry about shedding layers. I have both knee and leg warmers, but pretty much never don the leg warmers any more.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Both, depends on temperature
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Fiery

by Fiery

I find that if it's cold enough for full leg coverage, it's cold enough to want some better insulation above the legs but bellow the jersey/vest/jacket too. It's either knee warmers of tights for me, no leg warmers.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Down to about 40 I use knee warmers. After that, I just go to tights.
Speedplay is the devil!

coppercook62

by coppercook62

I prefer knickers between 60-40 degrees and where tights below 40. Otherwise i wear bibs.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Fiery wrote:I find that if it's cold enough for full leg coverage, it's cold enough to want some better insulation above the legs but bellow the jersey/vest/jacket too. It's either knee warmers of tights for me, no leg warmers.

I agree here. I have worn knee warmers at around 55-65degrees, anything below that where it is going to basically stay that way, I prefer tights, and I regulate my core temp with the upper half.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

djconnel

by djconnel

I don't own tights (full-length cycling garments, including pad). Instead when it's cold I wear two pairs of bibs. That helps keep that region warm. I can combine that with multiple layers below.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com