Recommend me some silly bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hi

My Cannondale SiSL2 BB bearings died, and I just emergency installed a SRAM PF30 BB in there to allow me to keep training (it was the only suitable BB the shop had in stock and they fitted it for free, so all good).

I was about to put in an order for an identical replacement for the Cannondale SiSL2 BB bearings (which are branded as FSA, but appear to be S&S bearings), but I thought... what else is out there, that I could put in my Evo to make it even sicker than it already is?

So, please recommend me fancy BB bearings that I could buy instead of the Cannondale SiSL2 bearings. Something exotic and expensive, and also actually really good, smooth, fast, tough, etc, would be best.

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

contact NICO at www.cyclingtechnology.com and he will set you up with some excellent ceramic bearings at a fair price. sales@cyclingtechnology.com is his email.

kode54

by kode54

had some pretty good results from the HSC hybrid bearings from Fairwheel.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

What was the cause for the failure? I recently went through a couple of BB bearings on my Madone in the last couple of months, and ended up trying marine grease to try to mitigate the chances of failure from water penetration.

Also, I've recently had good luck with the Enduro XD-15 bearings (I used them on my Superfly, not the Madone). http://www.artscyclery.com/Enduro_XD-15 ... 5PF30.html

2tonGorilla

by 2tonGorilla

C-bear in the USA do Ceramic hybrid and have a 2year warranty. I wouldn't do anything else anymore. Grade A stuff, they did a build off with alchemy and Parlee on BikeRumor and I've meet Ard personally and he's not only funny and love's his CX but is a great guy! https://www.facebook.com/CBearUsa

Phill P

by Phill P

I've been selling HSC for years and very happy with them.
With BBs you don't notice much difference for the upgrade compared to when you do wheels.
With a PF BB you can very easily use the housings you already have and just replace the 6806 bearings.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

CeramicSpeed makes some good bearings but uber spendy...

http://ceramicspeed.com/

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Doolop

by Doolop

Ceramic speed bearings are probably the best bearings I have ever felt on a bike hands down, but they are ridiculously expensive.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations! Will work my way through them all and see what's what.

Appreciated.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A top quality steel bearing cannot be beaten. Try NTN or INA.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I'm using full ceramic bearings from Ortech in my SISL2. Very happy with them so far. I wouldn't touch hybrid bearings, but that's just me.

http://www.ortechceramics.com/full_ceramic_bearing.htm
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

Phill P

by Phill P

HSC make full ceramic bearings as well - but they don't recommend even zirconia races for use on bikes. The shock loads tend to cause the races to crack.

I know a few brands use them for BBs - but the price increase is enormous
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

gregalfa

by gregalfa

"ceramic speed" should fit your need.
The Great CarboniO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Phill P wrote:HSC make full ceramic bearings as well - but they don't recommend even zirconia races for use on bikes. The shock loads tend to cause the races to crack.

I know a few brands use them for BBs - but the price increase is enormous

Yes, there is that risk. But the way I see it, the BB is suspended between the wheels so won't take much road shock. I'm doing it more as an experiment than anything else. So far so good. However, I would never put full ceramics in a front hub.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.