When should I work on VO2MAX instead of FTP?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jockster

by jockster

Lets say that my 4 minute power is 300w and my FTP is 280w. That's a narrow 16% drop over time.
Common sense says that my power curve isn't going to reverse itself, so I am never going to see higher watts at my FTP than what I am producing at the 4 minutes level.

With such narrow drop over time, does it really make sense to continue focusing on my FTP with the Vo2max power so closely ahead instead of aiming to push the Vo2max upwards?
Last edited by jockster on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

it depends what you mean by focusing on FTP. How do you "focus on FTP?". WHat sort of training have you been doing? What intensity, volume, length, etc?

Whats your goal?

jockster

by jockster

My current training has been a mix of SST & 2x20s, with a handful of long slow rides and group rides thrown in here and there. Something like four or five days a week really.

Goals? I would like to reach 4w/kg (just below 3.5 atm) and do a decent TT & perform well in a few local CX races

shjames96

by shjames96

If your goals are FTP and time trial related, then you should focus on raising your FTP. However, in your case this would probably include a fair number of VO2 intervals. I don't think that a focus on FTP or a focus on VO2max needs to be completely void of the other types of intervals.

devinci

by devinci

by the sound of things you've been done a bit of sustained moderate intensity efforts and LSD rides. I dont know your background or much more information but you may benefit from higher intensity efforts to lift things up a little.

Think about things in the 110%-120% FTP range and maybe higher intensity micro-interval efforts for CX?

Test your form and factor in some decent rest.

If you've been on a steady diet for a while, some diversity might just be good