Martini project 6.38kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

laxer29

by laxer29

YW, btw how many man hrs did the paint job take, from prepping the original paint to stripping to repainting etc.? Your buddy does very nice work.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

laxer29 wrote:YW, btw how many man hrs did the paint job take, from prepping the original paint to stripping to repainting etc.? Your buddy does very nice work.

Stripping the frame took about 8 hours of work. They start off with a razor blade to take off most of the paint-clear and then finish off with sand paper.

For painting, the longest part was masking the inside of the fork and rear part. everything else are masks precut by the decals printer. all the graphics were painted. there is no sticker.

obviously you have to mask off the rest of the frame or else you get major overspray lol. That's what takes most of the time because painting doesn't take that long. Don't know how many hours he took to paint mine because he has a lot of projects that he does at the same time. When he finishes a step on one he starts another step on another to keep busy and productive.

From start to finish was about 3-4 weeks, but I waited like 6 months to get it back because he had too much work to do with his other projects like painting Cervelo Rca frames.
Last edited by ferrarista on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 am, edited 8 times in total.
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

laxer29

by laxer29

Wow true craftsmanship and very impressed. I don't even want to know how much something like this would cost.

Stefano

by Stefano

Hi!

Beautiful!! love the understated appearance :)

Looking at your components, I see all 11sp except for the shifters- did you find some way to retrofit these shifters to 11 or are you still using a 10s cogset with 11s everything else?

Stefano

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Hi Stefano,

I'm still 10 speed. I have a chorus 12-26 cassette in the back. I know 12-26 was never made :P . I took a chorus 12-25 and swapped the 23-25 sprocket for a record 23-26 from a 13-26. works perfectly.
The rear derailleur has a 10t upper pulley and a lower 11T ceramic ball bearing pulley. the cage is spaced out to 8.9-9mm like the 10 speed carbon record. Front derailleur has a chorus 10 speed alu cage. I just don't like carbon on the front derailleur cage. I see so many that snap. The chairings are obviously 11speed , but it shifts soo nice. better than when I had 10 speed chainrings.

when my chain wears out , I will try an 11 speed record or chorus chain. apparently it works even better on a 10 speed.
██

KB

by KB

Very nice job, well done.

Stefano

by Stefano

Ah ok, cool! sounds like a sweet setup :D

Stefano

ferrarista

by ferrarista

laxer29 wrote:Wow true craftsmanship and very impressed. I don't even want to know how much something like this would cost.

A job like mine is around 600$. It can easily cost 1000$ + depending on how complex the design is, how many colors is used etc... It depends of each painter really. Not everybody charges the same. Plus most of that amount is mostly prepping, sanding, etc... You can save a lot if you bring your frame already sanded and ready to paint.
██

Estelja

by Estelja

Love your bike! I'm working on a ski helmet project with a similar theme. Could you tell me what brand of paint and which paint codes you used for the two blues and the red?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Estelja wrote:Love your bike! I'm working on a ski helmet project with a similar theme. Could you tell me what brand of paint and which paint codes you used for the two blues and the red?

Thanks for the kind words. I think my painter uses Dupont for the paint and the codes for the Martini colors I found them online. The oficial colors that I found is pantone 297 for the light blue, pantone 295 for the dark blue and pantone 185 for the red. Not everybody uses the same shade of colors. I know I chose a darker shade of red from the pantone chart because I thought the red from pantone 185 was too light for my taste. What you see on the chart is not always what you will get. I sent a message to my painter if he remembers exactly what he used. What I did is I printed the colors on glossy paper and then the painter suggested the best match. I will let you know.

By the way i'm receiving soon my new Deda 45mm carbon clinchers. I'm also thinking of swapping the seatpost for a Deda superleggero. It has 12mm setback instead of 21mm for my superzero. Its also lighter.
██

PSM

by PSM

I especially like the bar tape wrapping. Splendid! :)

ferrarista

by ferrarista

PSM wrote:I especially like the bar tape wrapping. Splendid! :)

thanks! Its a pain in the a$$ to get right lol.
██

ferrarista

by ferrarista

So I got some new parts added recently.

Finally got my new wheels. I had to settle for the regular version instead of the dark label version since they will only be ready around July/August from what I was told. They came in at 1470gr. Not bad for 45mm carbon clinchers. I went for a ride yesterday and they are very stiff lateraly, but pretty comfy over bumps. I had the new michelin pro4 pumped to 105psi front and 110psi rear. Braking is surprisingly good. Smooth and progressive, but with good power when you really need it. I'm using the blue pads provided with the wheels. Usually they also give another set of pads and holders called Big pad which takes advantage of the 16mm brake track, but they were not in the box. I contacted them and should be getting them later. Those pads have like twice the surface area of the regular pads so should provide even better braking and heat dissipation.

I also swapped the bolts of the deda superzero seatpost for black titanium and also the craddle to a lighter one.

stock craddle

lighter craddle

stock bolts

titanium bolts M6

stock yokes

PoP yokes M6

The seatpost is down to 135gr.

The weight of the bike is now down to 6.66kg.
Last edited by ferrarista on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
██

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Last edited by ferrarista on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
██

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Beautiful day to ride!

Last edited by ferrarista on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com