Tire Recommendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Ok. Looking for advice on what tires should be in my quiver.

I currently have 2 bikes, and 4 sets of wheels. 2 sets of carbon farsports wheels, and 2 sets of aluminum tubulars. All Tubular.

I also have 2 sets of alum clincher wheels with Michelin Mud 2's and Schwalbe Sammy Slicks on them. They mostly see action for doing longer easy training rides.

I have a set of Clement LAS and a set of Challenge Grifos (they are 2 years old now)

I live in New England, and I race Elite Juniors.

What tires would you recommend that I get? Keep in mind that my 2 bikes are roughly the same, and I often switch them to get clean bikes in muddy races.
Last edited by skiandbikecmh on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jockster

by jockster

I do like my Vittoria XG Pro in both tubular and clincher version. Quite nice to have same tires to train and race on without breaking the budget

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

The XG looks like a similar tread to the grifo, what sort of conditions do you use it most in?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I used Challenge Limus last year. I only have one tubular wheelset. Before the Limus' I had Tufo Cubus. I was actually quite impressed with the Tufos, I used them for two seasons, for both training and racing, and they still have lots of miles left in them.

The Challenges needed Aquasure, even though they had some sort of coating on the sidewalls. They started to look udly after a short period of time (lots of muddy races last year, apparently they didn't handle that too well).

jockster

by jockster

skiandbikecmh wrote:The XG looks like a similar tread to the grifo, what sort of conditions do you use it most in?

Everything but ice, really. Rolls good and more importantly, behaves predictable!
I chose the XG Pros as they seemed pretty all round and were available in both clincher & tubular tires at a reasonable cost.

I am happy with them until I race at a level requiring me to have multiple wheelsets with different threads depending on the conditions to give me an edge in the race.

Alejandro8100

by Alejandro8100

"Gatorskin and XG Pros", both are good. However, I mostly preferred and currently using XG Pros. Work very well.

Affordable Taxi at your door step
Last edited by Alejandro8100 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alejandro
"Everything is ok"

euan

by euan

I'm pretty happy with Limus regardless of the conditions. Those side knobs hook up so well.

dvincere

by dvincere

In New England races I now use my Clement MXP tires in all but the muddiest of races -- which we haven't had this season :(

(except GMCX had some good mud but wasn't absurdly muddy)

gt5504b

by gt5504b

I've been riding Tufo's old Elites for years and finally destroyed the last one I had about a year and a half ago, switching over to the less supple training version with the same tread, which I was very happy with for both racing and fun trail riding. Then this summer I killed both of those.
I tried the newer Primus line and wasn't happy so I thought it time for a switch.

I've now got a set of Grifos and a set of Grifo XSs glued up, together with a set of clincher Limuses that were my intro to Challenge. So far I am most impressed with the XS. It has been great in early season dry races, and even came into its own in the last two grassy races that also were a bit wet. Yesterday in the rain even I didn't feel like I was floating or sliding more than anyone else even in the muddy turns, and felt no need to change wheels as the race wore on getting wetter.

That being said, when there is mud you are going to have to power through the Limus is awesome (and the XS useless.) They do pretty good in snow too, and generally are a great all-arounder, taking into account the drag from those big knobs even when you don't want it.

I also ride a narrow set if Schwalbe CX Pros which do wonderful in the snow and pretty good in deep mud. Just not as good of an all-arounder as the Challenges.

So if you race in sloggy mud at all, get a set of Limuses.
If you race a lot on hardpack or grass (even if it gets a bit wet), go Grifo XS.
If you are worried about the cornering traction or expect more wet (but not deep pedaling mud) get the new Chicane, which I imagine is a great combo.

Good luck.
Ride and report back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gt5504b

by gt5504b

**edit, double post**