Trek Crockett Build

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Starting this thread to ask for advice and so you can follow me as I build up 2 new trek Crockett Framesets.

The frames should be in next week.

Here is the plan for the build:

Things I have or have ordered:

Trek Crockett Frame and fork

Bontrager xxx seatpost and alu stem. Ritchey Carbon Logic Bars.

Shorty Ultimate Brakes

Bontrager RXXXL Saddle

Farsports Carbon Wheels

Rival Shifters

Red Crankset

40t Wolf Tooth Ring

Stuff I don't have:

Sram XO Derailleur Short Cage

11-32 Cassette

Questions:

Should I get Type 2 for the derailleur, or not?

What tires?

What cassette for price/weight ratio?
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ragamuffin

by Ragamuffin

A few questions first:

- Do you have a particular budget in mind?

- Clinchers or tubulars?

- Can an X0 shortcage fit a 32? I know some people have tried but I'm unsure of any definitive results. Why not just get a medium cage (aside from some added weight)?

People on my team are running the 40t Wolf Tooth ring with road Sram or a Type 2, in either case they seem to be happy with the performance so I'm not sure how big a difference it actually makes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

@Ragamuffin - The cage length only dictates the total capacity. All of the SRAM MTB RD's will fit a 36 tooth cog.

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

No specific total budget, using a lot of parts that I already have.

Definitely running tubulars. I have farsports 20mm tubular carbon wheels (1030 grams) and some old mavic tubular rims laced to ultegra hubs with 32 holes. I ran grifos last year for the whole season, but the tread was peeling off by the end. Looking at Clement, Vittoria, Maybe FMB.

The xo clears a 36 regardless of cage length. that is why I am running it, for the cassette clearance, and higher spring tension for shifting in muddy conditions.
My Bike:

MARLON

by MARLON

Seen this
I know its disc but maybe some Inspiration

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/article/2256 ... k-Crockett
BACK IN BLACK

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Yes, katie's bike is definitely a good place to draw some inspiration. I would be more interested to see her canti bikes, since that is what I will be running. I don't have quite as large a budget, or as many sponsor obligations. I will be running mostly the same cockpit, and pedals, but my drivetrain will be a bit more unorthodox. I am thinking though that the frame should be very nice, if it is good enough for Katie, then it is good for me. The friction tape on her shifter also seems like a good idea. Sram shifters do get slippery when wet.
My Bike:

grover

by grover

Go type 2 rear derailleur. The 'cross season has just finished in Australia. I had a single ring setup with wide/narrow chainring (made by Fetha components in Melbourne) on both bikes. I predominantly rode the bike with an X.0 short cage type 2. Zero chain drops. I did have a couple of chain drops on the bike with a standard derailleur.

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Thank you for the input, can I ask you what the conditions that you dropped the chain in? Just curious to know what the weak point is.

I definitely don't want any chain drops, so I will go with the Type 2.
My Bike:

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

I will be posting pics as the parts come in and it starts coming together. Rings came in today. I called the shop and the frames should be in this week or next week.

My Bike:

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Keep in mind you need a barrel adjuster or in line adjuster when combining mtb derailleur and double road shifter. I realised that after I put the stuff on my bike.

Skickat från min MT15i via Tapatalk 2

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

So trek informed me that the frames wont be in until January 20th at the earliest. I cancelled the order given that the season will be well over for me by then. Thinking that I will be able to wait until Sven Nys' new bike (assuming trek makes him something carbon) comes out with disc. Also CX1. Many things to be excited about within cross tech for next season.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com