2013 Vittoria Open Corsa SR vs. Open Corsa CX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with the 2013 Vittoria lineup which feature the IsoGrip compounds? I'm a crit racer, about 88 kg and was debating between the Open Corsa SR which are a claimed 24mm vs the new Open Corsa CX, in 25mm. Does anyone have actual weights, widths, or opinions of these tires? They'd be used for race day only, as my Veloflex Corsa 23's are toast after 7 months of hard training and racing. I'm essentially looking for a tire with high grip and less weight, with a small sacrifice in puncture resistance. I'm also open to reviews of the Open Corsa SC 25mm.

Thanks!

maico

by maico

Yes I have the SR 24c on the front and the Corsa CX 25c on the back. Both are ISO.

Both tyres weigh near enough the same because the smaller SR is made of a slightly thicker rubber. It is noticeable stiffer when mounting the rim.
The Vittoria website lists the SR as a better full wet tyre than the CX and should in theory last a bit longer.The CX blows up big more like 26mm.

I've got a copy of a French magazine that measures rolling resistance on the Hutchinson rolling road. The best tyre of the 18 in the group test was the Corsa CX 25c. Better than the 23c version and better than the Continental GP4000s in 23 or 25c. (there is a new MkII version of the 4000s not as yet tested)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

User Name

by User Name

I always much preferred the slick version, which used to be the KS, and I gather now is the SL.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

SR tubular has deep treads on the sides that catch and keep a lot of flint and small debris. Very prone to flats. While I like the 24mm width, they are not particularly confidence inspriring in the wet.
I will not buy them again.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

em3

by em3

I have been using OpenCorsa CX in 25c and Open Paves consistently on all my rides over many years, and I just purchased a set of the SRs which I plan on mounting and riding in the next few days...I will post my reflections shortly. As for weight, the SR in 24c weighed in at 225 grams, the exact same weight as the Corsa CX 25c.
EM3

1415chris

by 1415chris

How did the SRs hold up?
I am considering them for english winter as riding veloflex over the summer season and then changing to conti gp4000s is a bit hash. They don't get cuts like veloflex do on the wet full of flint roads, but they are not as supple as the veloflex.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Corsa evo sc 25 here tubular and clincher - about as top shelf race tire as it gets in wet and dry.
Just ride ..

jrobart

by jrobart

Same here. Tubular and clincher Corsa CXs. Great feeling tires. I think I had a bad batch of the tubulars last year as I flatted several times with what appeared to be pretty minor cuts. Current stash (tubular CXs of two bikes) however hasn't been a problem. I did buy a pair of Veloflex Arenbergs, but haven't mounted them yet.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

ico

by ico

1415chris wrote:How did the SRs hold up?
I am considering them for english winter as riding veloflex over the summer season and then changing to conti gp4000s is a bit hash. They don't get cuts like veloflex do on the wet full of flint roads, but they are not as supple as the veloflex.

Check this thread too viewtopic.php?f=113&t=126239

I'm pretty much confused about them. Great ride feelings but the quality of inner tubes is questionable at least.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Thanks for that. I'm less concern about inner tubes as I'm thinking about open version.
Did anybody have a chance to measure the actual width of open SR and on what rim?

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I've been running Open Corsa CX for several years. Currently on 23 and they measure 23, possibly a hair under 24 (my cm ruler has lines every 2 mm so hard to read but definitely under 24). Mounted on Campy Neutrons. I usually switch to 25s in winter so can't measure those now. I know you want SR 25 but point of reference on CX I guess. I ride a lot of chip seal and they typically last about 1000 miles/1600km. They do get some small cuts but never had any problems flatting any more than Conti 4000GS for example (two flats last year, none so far this year). I've also got a pair of Veloflex I'm waiting to try out when these Vittorias are done. I don't race but when I switched from Conti's to CX a few years ago the difference was noticeable right away.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have started using the open corsa SC 23mm this year. I have them mounted on 25mm wide carbon rims and another set on Pacenti SL23. On these rims they come up around 25mm. The grip even in very wet conditions is excellent, cornering grip is exceed that of the GP4000s which I used to use. Puncture resistance seems good. Only one proper flat with them so far in 1500 miles (there has been a pinch flat and two latex tube failure but none of these are the tyres fault). The rear is cut in a number of places but refuse to puncture which surprises me. I ride on the broken road surface of Suffolk, back lane covered in flint, chip and seal and I hit plenty of unavoidable holes

So ride comfort and grip (in the wet and dry) are all better than the GP4000s and the GP 4 seasons I will use them until I destroy them then I am likely to try the Schwable one tubeless and tubular tyres and if I don't like them back to the corsa SC and open Corsa SC.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I'm rolling a pair of Vittoria SR tubular tires. They feel pretty nice.

One thing that is a bit puzzling is the front tire has begun to change shape around the valve area. You can see the deformation there as the tire rotates. Not sure what's going on as it seems to be getting worse. I can feel the out of round effect at high speeds, and I'm now hearing glue clicking sounds at low speed, so the tire may be shifting on the rim. The glue job (not done by me) appears to be very uniform on both wheels and well executed.

The rear tire has remained quite stable and shows normal/minimum run-out.

Next time round I'm going with 23 front and 25 rear CX.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Thumbs up for there SC here (in 22mm tubular guise). They seem about as durable as the Conti Comps they replaced for this season, while rolling a bit more smoothly and looking indefinitely cooler. Got more confident about them over time, so I've been beating them up and down the gravel strewn bridleway along the river too, recently. They are handling that beautifully.

I would really like to know what the difference between the CX and the SC is, though, apart from the different tread and colour.

Looking to try the SL Slick for hillclimbs some time.

BTW the 2015 catalogue only has the SR, Pavé and Crono. Have CX, SC and SL been discontinued?
http://www.vittoria.com/wp-content/uplo ... _small.pdf

racingcondor

by racingcondor

coloclimber wrote:SR tubular has deep treads on the sides that catch and keep a lot of flint and small debris. Very prone to flats. While I like the 24mm width, they are not particularly confidence inspriring in the wet.
I will not buy them again.

Got to say I've had pretty much the opposite experience with them here in the UK. Like the wet grip and I've flatted once since Feb in one of those moments you just know you can't avoid.

1415chris - I'll be moving back to Pave's for winter. I've done very well for flats this year on my SR and SC tubs but Not sure that I'm prepared to push my luck that far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com