Red front shifter not working in the cold.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Scoops

by Scoops

Wow, weird. Heated shifters?? OMG, a bit of a drastic solution!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

How cold? Below freezing?
Might be condensation getting onto the working surfaces of the shifter when you take it out side, then freezing.
Bit of light spray oil to keep the water away?

mattr

by mattr

Possibly indicative of something that is on it's way out then. Difference between room temp and 8 degrees shouldn't be anywhere near enough to cause problems in a properly set up shifter.

Might just be worth a complete strip down and re-cable, just to see if it is set up properly.

rijndael

by rijndael

mattr wrote:Might just be worth a complete strip down and re-cable, just to see if it is set up properly.
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if you found a frayed cable.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Do you have the original red gore cables? If so, I would swap out the inner cable first and check all the ferrules for signs of clogging from the coating that's shredded off the cable.

After that, peel back or remove the hood and check for dirt or debris inside the shifter, particularly towards the bottom. Spray some alcohol or fast disolving solvent like clean streak in there, let it dry and put some grease on the pawls and ratchet gear. Just a dab or two with a q tip is fine.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

I'm gonna guess it's a steel cable, Juan. Just a tiny bit of expansion/contraction of the cable going on? (maybe exacerbated by clingy grease getting a little thicker as it cools). Give it a QUICK SPRAY OUT with crc or similar to reduce internal grit and re-cable it and she'll be back to normal, would be my guess. I'd certainly give it a go! (you'll have to get SOME lube back in there somehow too).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!