2014 S-works SL4 DA Di2 or Parlee Z5 SLI DA Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

sugarkane wrote:...

Only thing I will say is if you have a hardon for 25c tires I'd get the sl4 cause they will likely rub the chain stays on a Z5....

Only if you use "wider" rims....I have Veloflex Corsa 25s mounted on 20.5mm wide rims and still have plenty of clearance...but they only measure out at 24mm wide on these rims.

I did ask Tom at Parlee about max tire sizes using new Enve or Zipp wheels, and he confirmed that 23mm wide is what they allow for, confirming your observation...
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

kode54 wrote:that's one that i want to ride when i'm out there.

Don't miss the other side of Mullholland, down to the Rock Store. It's even better than the side in the video.
That and Stunt rd are my two favorite descents in SoCal.

I've owned six or seven road bikes and once I got used them they all worked fine on descents. Even the Vitus 979 with its steep head tube and flexy frame. My current R3SL race bike is a bit twitchier than I would prefer but that just means that I use slightly finer inputs. It doesn't actually make me any slower or feel less confident.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I used to ride up some of the hills next to Pt Mugu NAS that where off limits to the public.. shorter then the ones you mention but pretty damn technical ... what a blast. Helps knowing the guy in charge at the base at the time... no trouble from MPs.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Dup
Last edited by sugarkane on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

carlislegeorge wrote:
sugarkane wrote:...

Only thing I will say is if you have a hardon for 25c tires I'd get the sl4 cause they will likely rub the chain stays on a Z5....

Only if you use "wider" rims....I have Veloflex Corsa 25s mounted on 20.5mm wide rims and still have plenty of clearance...but they only measure out at 24mm wide on these rims.

I did ask Tom at Parlee about max tire sizes using new Enve or Zipp wheels, and he confirmed that 23mm wide is what they allow for, confirming your observation...

I'm running smart 6.7s and enve 45s both with veloflex carbon tubs
They run pretty tight and are 22c tires
The smart rims run their optimum aero profile with 23c tires any way..

Bradcycles

by Bradcycles

I just got my bike built up and have gone on a couple short rides. I recently injured my knee riding in the Pyrenees a couple weeks ago (didn't adjust the fit on my rental bike quite right), so I haven't been able to do a "proper" ride yet on the Parlee. But, based on the couple short rides I've done so far, it feels great. Here are a few photos:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Nice stuff!!! Great wheels too!

laxer29

by laxer29

thats a sick parlee, but i am partial for the tarmac sl4.

GT56

by GT56

very nice, but you need to tell us about the saddle as we don't see those a lot around here

Bradcycles

by Bradcycles

It is a wtb saddle. It's not particularly light at 240 grams, but it is the only saddle I have tried over the years where I don't experience numbness.

laxer29

by laxer29

very interesting choice on the saddle but amazing bike!

laxer29

by laxer29

Also do you thing the Enve wheels are great all around or do you have other wheels for windy days?

darwinx

by darwinx

I frickin loved that review and sent it out to all my Southern California cyclist friends. Really interesting, especially about the other brands.

kaaos wrote:here is one review from someone that is dealer for both, Parlee and Specialized:

http://velove-cycles.com/?p=196#axzz2bMJslWtU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kode54

by kode54

eric wrote:
kode54 wrote:that's one that i want to ride when i'm out there.

Don't miss the other side of Mullholland, down to the Rock Store. It's even better than the side in the video.
That and Stunt rd are my two favorite descents in SoCal.

I've owned six or seven road bikes and once I got used them they all worked fine on descents. Even the Vitus 979 with its steep head tube and flexy frame. My current R3SL race bike is a bit twitchier than I would prefer but that just means that I use slightly finer inputs. It doesn't actually make me any slower or feel less confident.

eric.

had the chance to ride Latigo and the other side of Mulholland past the Rock Store, which had better road surface. didn't get the chance to ride on Stunt Road since i didn't have the time. descended on a busy Malibu Canyon Road since i was in a hurry to get back. have to go back and try the other canyon climbs there. weather was perfect.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc