CAAD8 Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

plpete

by plpete

Welcome to my CAAD8 build thread :beerchug:
This will be my commuter/winter/and maybe race bike. The frame is a 54cm and it looks brand new. Previous owner took great care and didn't ride it much. It will be built with my spare parts like Sram and Neuvations wheels I have as back-ups. Complete build list and weights to come...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaleRider

by DaleRider

I've got an 04 CAAD8 that still sees about 3000 miles a year. Best alu frame ever! Glad to see yet another one getting back on the road.

ednino

by ednino

This should be good!

plpete

by plpete

Thanks! Slowly coming together. Need to pick up a clamp adapter for the FD. The one I have is too small. The PRO EVO Stealth bar might be replaced with either a classic or compact bend bar and the saddle is temporary as well. Will probably transfer the Romin Evo from my other bike.

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

That looks stunning! Love the coulors.. Black and grey :)

CBJ

by CBJ

Nice frame.

plpete

by plpete

Thanks everyone :)

Bike is finished for the most part. Still need to stop by the LBS to trim the steerer a bit. I replicated the fit from my BMC SLR01. The CAAD8 has a 1/4" shorter head tube but with the cone headset cover the front end is now equal. I may need to get a set-back seat post at some point as well. No weight yet but it's coming. My guess is mid 16lbs but we shall see. Here is a quick shot before the first ride:

plpete

by plpete

Build List

Cannondale CAAD8 54cm
Cannondale Premium Slice fork (carbon steerer, alu. drop-outs)
Sram Force Shifters
Sram Force Rear Derailleur
Sram Force Front Derailleur
Sram Force Crank w. 53/39 rings
Sram Rival brakes
Shimano Ultegra 12-25 cassette
Sram Chain
BeBop Pedals w/ Ti spindle upgrade
3T Doric seat post
Specialized Romin Evo saddle 155mm
Pro EVO Stealth stem/bar combo (to be changed to 3T ergonova bar + stem)
Reynolds Carbon bottle cage
Neuvation R28 wheelset
Continental GP4000s tires
BHS Ti skewers

As pictured above it comes in at just about 16.5lbs. Not too bad for a build from spare parts.

plpete

by plpete

Update time!

A few changes...

I took off the Pro EVO Stealth stem/bar combo. I felt like it was a bit much for now plus the bike is used for commuting and locked outside. I ended up using the Cannondale Fire stem along with a Zipp SS Service Course bar in alloy. Might still end up switching to a 3T stem and Ergonova bar to match the 3T seat post. Another bigger change were the wheels. I sold the Neuvations which have been great to me but were not the right wheels for this bike. Way to stiff and harsh riding. The bike was a bone shaker! I built up a set of H Plus Son Archetype rims in 20f/24r with some Novatec SL hubs and Sapim Laser spokes. Bare wheel set came in at exactly 1500 grams. Not too bad. End effect? I rode 60 miles on sunday and did not feel beat up at all. Here is the most recent photo:

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I like that you upgraded to the SRAM Red chainrings, that's a key upgrade over the original Force set. The bike as a whole just looks fantastic. Nice move on the Archetypes.

plpete

by plpete

Thanks! The chain rings actually came with another crank that I have on my BMC but since I run Q Rings on that bike these were a perfect fit for the CAAD. Shifting is spot on.

plpete

by plpete

Some new goodies for the CAAD. After working on my fit and addressing knee pain in left knee I ended up switching to a seat-back seat post which resolved the problem. Also got a matching stem and FSA WingPro bar as I like the short and shallow feel.

Updated bike photos and weight coming soon. I'm sure the new cockpit dropped a few grams :)

plpete

by plpete

Updated photos. Excuse the crappy quality...

As seen the bike is 7432 grams or 16.4lbs. Once I replace the chain with KMC the weight should drop a bit again.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

The anno finish is coming off the brake track. That's a sign of a lot of riding. :thumbup:

plpete

by plpete

The wheels are great and see plenty of riding indeed :thumb up: All it took was one rainy ride to remove the anodized finish but if ridden in dry conditions it can last and look decent for quite a while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com