Ridley Heilium build advice sort

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Hey guys n girls,

I have decided to build my 2012 Ridley Helium frame set up that has been hanging for about 10 months in my workshop.
She is a Large size so looking to shed weight off her where I can ....
This is what I have so far ...
Frameset
Ritchey Carbon spacers for stem
Ritchey carbon stem 90mm
Ritchey carbon stream bars 44cm ctc
Lizard skin tape

I want to look into using Campag Shamal's for clinchers and I have a set of TWE full carbon clinchers as well.

Looking for a Super Record grupo
Selle SMP Carbon Lite saddle .... normally use a SMP Forma
Time XPRESSO 12

So if you have any further idea's I would love to hear them... I want to trim her right up
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

RussellS

by RussellS

A Large Ridley Helium frame has a 58.5 cm top tube. And you are using a 9 cm stem?

http://ridley-bikes.com/us/en/bikes/1/1 ... ium-1419am

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Yeah its all I have spare atm

RussellS

by RussellS

The reason I posted my comment is because I do not think the frame is the right size for you. If you are using a 9cm stem on a bike with a 58.5cm top tube to make it fit, the frame is too large for you. If you are using the 9cm stem because you own it and it is "free", and fit is irrelevant, then maybe consider getting the right stem length. A 9cm stem does not fit on a bike with a 58.5cm top tube. A 9cm stem goes on bikes with 48cm top tubes. Short stem is for small bikes. Not big bikes. Big bikes require long stems, 12-13cm. My advice is to get rid of the frame. Sell it. Then buy a smaller frame that really fits you. This frame does not fit you. Find a frame with a 56-57cm top tube. And use a 11-12cm stem. That will fit you correctly. Your current frame is a couple sizes too big for you. Don't waste time and money building it up into a bike that does not fit you. Get a correctly fitting frame and build it up.

Geoff

by Geoff

Great frameset. I am on Fredrik Willems bike from last season and really like it. Lotto runs EPS, which I highly recommend. I am running Shamals for training wheels and recommend running them as tubeless, vs. clinchers. Liking the lizardskins, too.

From the perspective of 'add-ons', I would recommend the Campagnolo chain-keeper, too. It is light and does the job perfectly. To complete your dream bike, go for the Campagnolo SRM, which is a thing of beauty.

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

I hear what you are say and agree , however I have a stuffed up blueprint I have an inner leg of 93cm am 187 cm so a 100-110 stem normally fits perfectly as my lower back doesn't have the flex I had about 20 years ago :roll:
I picked up the 90 just to experiment with .... :noidea: see if it relieved any off my lumbar ....

I am in the process of looking for a SR11 groupo with a good crank length ...

I lurve the SHAMAL's ... I used to have a set of Gold ones and flogged the guts out of them ... and they still stood up to me !! So the tubs you recon hey ..nice I WILL DO SOME LOOKING INTO THEM .. I have never had tubs in anything so I really appreciate your input , this is what I am chasing great opinions thanks heaps

Geoff

by Geoff

No. I assumed that you already had the Shamals. I meant running the 2-way fit clinchers as tubeless, not clincher.

While I strongly prefer tubular tires, I am trying a long-term test on tubeless tires right now (can't have an opinion on them otherwise). One of my test mules is a set of Shamals. I have been pretty surprised with how well they perform. Not at all the bricks I thought they would be (not tubulars, either, but way better than clinchers).

Since you have the option, you should try them, as the Ridley Helium is really stiff and a pair of fat tubeless will go a long way to making the Shamals feel more comfortable on a stiff frameset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie