Scott Spark RC 650B

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Great to hear it Mads.
Spiderless chainrings share exactly same tooth shape as my narrow/wide chainrings, so it helps a long way. Clutch mech is really essential here.

But with narrow-wide rings i offer, you don't even have to have clutch mech in order to get it to work. So i will offer 2 types of chainrings simultaneously:) at least you will have an option if you decide to push the limits on your bike.

Btw, great weight achieved on that Scott. I got my Top fuel 9.9ssl down to 9.2kg and just love the way how such light bike perform in really demanding terrain.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Maybe I should try the narrow/wide chainring on my 29er - didn't you make a 36T 120BCD chainring? Could be a nice setup on my hardtail and lighter with a non clutch rear derailleur :-P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

But not from Absolute Black - yet?

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Ah - I was thinking of the Wolftooth with the 36/120 BCD.

Tried my Absolut Black DM chainring today in a race - riding in top10 and then dropping the chain and 30 riders goes by. Got the chain back on and chasing and beginning to catch up around top 15-25 and then dropping the chain again :-( Dropped in 4 times in a 42 km/1 hour 59 min race. Other than what the upper bearing on my headset also broke - what a bad race. I finished 20th out of 400 starters but strange about the chaindropping because it never happened before.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

What chain you use? And was it muddy or not?

Regardless please get back to me in few weeks and i will have for you narrow/wide version of same chainring. This will solve all your problems as till today i have not had customer with my Shimano xx1 style rings who dropped chain.

Marcin

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hi Marcin

It was dry but pretty bumpy - I'm using a KMC X11SL chain. I know you have stated that the KMC chain doesn't work but I thought this was for narrow/wide version - anyways, I just really surprised that I have had quite a few trainingrides with this setup - riding even more bumpy tracks and never had a problem before and then suddenly the problems started. That is strange?! :-)

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

All my chainrings carry exactly same tooth profile. So KMC chain will not work with them. At the minute you get a bit of dirt to the chainring/chain your problem will start. So please try to use Sram or Shimano chain. This is because KMC rollers are bigger in the chain, so they significantly reduce space between chain and chainring tooths. So when you get a bit of dirt/mud chain is no longer able to go into tooths and goes on top making it to drop.
Sram and Shimano chains does not have this problem as they use standard size of rollers in the chain and for those i was designing tooth profile.

KMC is aware and they are working on it in order to fix the issue.

maxle

by maxle

Sorry for offtopic, will a Campa10 or 11 chain work ? Thank you very much !
You only own a bike when you've violated every single term of guarantee.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hey Marcin

I understand you - I just think it's strange that I have ridden in some mild mudconditions with no problems a couple of times and then it just began. I will try with an XX1 chain :-)

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Campagnolo chain will work with no problems.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I will test the chainring tomorrow with a Sram XX1 chain - hope for a better result :-)

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

So, for those who wonder how absoluteBlack xx1 chainring behaves in real ride, here is my personal clip from one of the trails in Woburn Sands woods, UK.

Bike was equipped with 38T shimano xx1 style chainring, older version of X-0 rear mech with short cage (non clutch) and a bit too long chain. I only used bottom half of the cassette to create more slack on the chain, to show that even this is not enough to drop the chain.

Watch in full HD!

https://vimeo.com/76734462

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Nice - looks good. How many retakes before the chain would stay on? ;-)

Anyway - did a 40 km singletrack ride today with lots of roots. With the Sram XX1 chain - didn't drop it once so great. Only 11 grams heavier than the KMC X11SL.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

hahaha - it's one single tape cut in the middle as i was riding across carpark in the woods.

My chainrings with wide and narrow teeth will not loose you a chain. We have tried a LOT. The only situation you will drop it is a major crash to a tree or bushes. But then you are not riding anyway:) so it does not matter.

Will have narrow/wide spiderless rings in 4 weeks for those who are interested.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

What is the weight of your new spiderless ring compared to the one that I have?