Cannondale SuperSix Evo 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ccparkhill

by ccparkhill

Can anybody tell me if the Evo technology has actually trickled down to the 2014 entry range or is it just marketing? I.e. is a 2013 Evo the same as a 2014 Evo (other than the rear brake cable routing change)?

Does anybody know the frame weights of a SuperSix 2013 vs a SuperSix Evo 2014 by the way?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boralb

by Boralb

There are 3 evo's available for this year..
1-)BallisTec Nano Hi-Mod sub 700g
2-)BallisTec Hi-Mod uses more high and ultra-modulus carbon fibres sub 750g
3-)BallisTec Carbon sub 950g
4-)The entry-level BallisTec Carbon(higher percentage of intermediate-modulus carbon fibres) sub 1100g, similar to last year's super6.
Last edited by Boralb on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

GT56

by GT56

Boralb wrote:There are 3 evo's available for this year..
1-)BallisTec Nano Hi-Mod sub 700g
2-)BallisTec Hi-Mod uses more high and ultra-modulus carbon fibres sub 750g
3-)The entry-level BallisTec Carbon(higher percentage of intermediate-modulus carbon fibres) sub 1100g, similar to last year's super6.

and the entry level has external brake cable routing and a slightly different position of the front derailieur cable stops

ccparkhill

by ccparkhill

Thanks for your replies, so if the 2013 SuperSix and 2014 Evo are of a similar weight what are the advantages of the Evo? Are the 2013 Evo and 2014 Evo also similar weights?

Actually, looking at the Cannondale website under Features of the 2014 Evo it states:
EVO Carbon: By using a higher percentage of intermediate-modulus fiber to tune the stiffness, we are able to expand the EVO line with a super high-performance, sub-950 gram frame. Offered both with and without internal rear brake routing.

And under the SuperSix 2013 Features it states:
The SuperSix frame weighs a mere 1050 grams, and offers the lively ride and explosive acceleration Cannondale's are known for.

The EVO features also so mention the following, which I presume are not found on the SuperSix:
SPEED SAVE
Micro-Suspension Rear Stays Subtle flex zones built into the chainstays and seatstays allow the rear wheel to track the ground, improving speed, handling and comfort. Tuned to work with the SPEED SAVE Fork.
SPEED SAVE Fork This 315 gram fork features full BallisTec carbon construction, an 1-1/8"to 1-1/4" tapered steerer for the best balance of weight and stiffness, and offset dropouts, which allow for more fork angle and compliance without affecting handling.
Reduced Frontal Area
Compared to the oversized competition, the EVO's downtube is close to 20% smaller, the headtube 11% smaller, and the fork blades 15% thinner. This means less frontal area and less drag. In fact, tests show that EVO has a mere 14g more drag than the best "aero" frames without their added weight and harsh ride.
Continuous Carbon
A continuous network of high modulus stiffening fibers runs around joint areas and along the outer edges of the frames tubes, connecting all parts of the frame and allowing precise tuning of stiffness and ride quality.

I think I may have answered my own questions here but according to the above does an Evo 2014 have the above extra features plus a 100g weight saving over the SuperSix 2013 or is the Cannondale website not entirely accurate?

Thanks

Boralb

by Boralb

If you compare super6 with the entry level 2014 evo, super6 has the advantage.
Weights are similar, but it has one of the stiffest frames available on market.
Below is the 2013 stiffness test results, made by Giant:)

ccparkhill

by ccparkhill

I found that article by Giant and if you look at the weights they have 925g for the SuperSix and 747.7g for the Evo, based on the weights we've discussed above this seems more like Evo and Evo Hi-Mod?

Boralb

by Boralb

No, evo himod and supersix.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Are you sure that this test:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backoffi ... 3FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refers to 2013 models?
Addict 2013?

Giant TCR vs. Cannondale SS
http://www.wickedrides.com.au/blog/?q=node/284

cerro

by cerro

3 carbon fibre types.
Nano
Hi-Mod
normal.

Same as 2013. The cheaper version with Red and the one with Ultegra Di2 for 2013 was normal Evo frames and no hi-mod. So no changes for 2014. Just more models and no SuperSIX

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

fifarafa wrote:Giant TCR vs. Cannondale SS
http://www.wickedrides.com.au/blog/?q=node/284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do the weights seem a bit off in that article?
Stock 5.1 Kg
With SRM and Dura Ace pedals 5.5 Kg

Boralb

by Boralb

There is also a entry level evo frame is now sub 1100g.
The other 2 types are same as himod and himod nano.

cerro wrote:3 carbon fibre types.
Nano
Hi-Mod
normal.

Same as 2013. The cheaper version with Red and the one with Ultegra Di2 for 2013 was normal Evo frames and no hi-mod. So no changes for 2014. Just more models and no SuperSIX

headwind816

by headwind816

Reviving an old thread as I am trying to determine between a CAAD10 and entry-level Evo 2014 (external rear brake cable routing). My size is 54cm, which results in a 50mm rake on the CAAD10 - I have never used a 50mm rake fork and am not sure what to expect from 5mm additional rake - while the Evo maintains the standard 45mm rake. The other primary difference is the bb30 vs. pfbb30, which is a non-issue to me.

My questions please:

1. What would I expect from increasing the fork rake by 50mm compared to my typical 45mm and sometimes 43mm (other bikes)? I have tried to Google this answer, but I am hoping a cyclist can "dumb" down the answer please.

2. Has the weight for the entry-level Evo been confirmed? If it is truly sub-1100 gram, then weight becomes less then a factor in the equation. However, if by chance it is sub-1000 gram, well that becomes an interesting factor.

Please note that I have left cost out of the equation because I can get deals on both.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Cheers.

AHC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

The entry level Evo for 2013/2014 should be sub 1000g. I don't think any SuperSix EVO frames are 1kg+. So it's quite comparable to the CAAD10, I have both of the models you are considering. I think the real question is whether you prefer aluminum or carbon ride qualities. The fork rake I don't think really matters much? It's only 5mm as you say.

Since I have both, I don't have to make a choice :mrgreen: But if I were to have only 1 bike, I'd probably pick the Evo over CAAD10. But I know there's a horde of CAAD fans that would totally disagree.