Wert Straight Shooter stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ave

by ave

Amazing weight and even looks nice. Hope it's strong enough too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

justkeepedaling wrote:
It's a misconception? Forging process refines the grain structure of the material itself. Of course, engineering can get around that for the most part, but a forged part will likely be stronger than a machined one, using the same material

Yes it is a misconception that a properly designed and made CNC part is in someway useless. I would rather have a properly made CNC part than a poorly made forged part. The above stem looks to be very well done. Will need to see how it progresses and more info on it.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I'd prefer a great forged part to a great cnc'd part. Once again: forging improves the material properties. Machining does not

53x12

by 53x12

I think most of us understand the benefit of forging vs. CNC. However, show me a forged stem that is going to come close to these weights. Once again; if this CNC part is done properly, it is going to be plenty stiff while being lighter than anything forged.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

53x12 wrote:Yes it is a misconception that a properly designed and made CNC part is in someway useless.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that.

The only reason I expressed 'concern' (and I was just speculating, not casting aspersions on the OP's engineering ability) was that this stem is unusually light for any manufacturing method. If he tells me that it passes stringent testing I'm going to believe him.

:beerchug:

Devon

by Devon

prendrefeu wrote:So how much does the 90mm weigh?
And cost?

:twisted:

That would suggest your frame is too big for you.
Last edited by Devon on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Oh Devon.
:roll:

Keep trying, you'll get there one day.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99620

At least you didn't claim it was too light.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Devon

by Devon

That would be why all the top GC riders use over 120mm stems then. I can only assume you have the physique of a young girl, and the maturity of one to; refferencing irrelevent discussions which ended months ago in order to increase your self-percieved superiority.

Ref:
Nairo Quintana (125mm) http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... -2--37837/
Ian Stannard (141mm) http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... nk2-38476/
Fabian Cancellara (140mm) http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... aix-36955/
Last edited by Devon on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

We're going OT here, but are you obsessed with me or something? What's your problem?
I don't compared myself to a top GC rider... who does? really?
You have a problem with someone else's choice of stem length and fit?
WTF is wrong with you?

And by the way, had you even bothered to read that thread you would find that it is relevant to what you are trying to bring up.

Now can we get back to discussing this stem and not your perceptions of how to "look pro" ?
Last edited by prendrefeu on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devon

by Devon

Pro riders get the best possible bike fits. This suggests, to me, that this is the correct way to set up a bike. See previous post for updated. references.

Don't get excited, I would have commented on that comment regardless of the poster.

A post regarding wheels/hubs isn't relevant to a stem topic.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I had no idea you were a pro rider, Devon, my apologies. Maybe you should ask a mod to update your account to having a 'local pro' label?

Devon

by Devon

:thumbup:

mythical

by mythical

First on the Wert roadmap are Straight Shooter stems and Shime-Waza seat collars. These are followed shortly by either pedals or a seat post (whichever reaches production first). Somewhat parallel are our QR skewers, once a favorable cost price is secured. Hubs and/or complete wheels are also in the pipeline. Somewhere down the road we hope to release a steel and/or titanium crankset that beats all others, though no predictions can be made yet other than aluminum cranks being out of the question.

The aim for the Wert Cycling brand is to market those essential components where noticeable improvements can be made (weight, stiffness, aesthetics & functionality) but leaving contact areas (handlebars/tape, saddles, tires, shoes) as well as shifting and braking to rider preferences. Most of our designs are completed, with different components being at various stages of product development. Many Wert components will be interchangeable between road and mountainbikes.

The reason for choosing CNC manufacturing is control (the 2nd C in CNC). Wert parts are designed to be machined, and for the company to stay on top of production this takes place on Dutch soil. This allows to conveniently implement changes and improvements in a product without too much hassle concerning invested funds, time and effort, should the occasion arise.

Ps. I'm not a moderator, but I hereby kindly request people to inhibit their urges to denunciate and stay on topic. We are wrong to mock or condemn what another rider prefers.

@nigel379: Wert Cycling will not do brakes. I suggest eebrakes, hands down the best brakes I ever tried.

@53x12, MajorMantra & justkeepedaling:
Concerns about durability are valid and shall hopefully be eliminated through proper testing and certification. Sure, forging can enhance material properties by as much as 15%, though it also has drawbacks. Through clever engineering for its given application, we're able to get even better characteristics out of a part. Also, forging requires more work for getting it right, though these efforts can really pays off with bigger production series with substantial initial investments. The goal for Wert Cycling is to release a high-end CNC-machined stem for those pleased by riding one. Perhaps a cheaper forged version might see release somewhere down the road.

@Devon:
My personal preferences are similar to yours. That said, please don't take issue in this thread with another individual's stem length preferences. Offering a range of lengths is for riders to choose what they deem best, whether long or short, and reach optimal fit and steering behavior for their chosen frame. Do you have any thoughts about the stem itself? Perhaps you might like your bike to adorn a Wert stem?

A prototype Straight Shooter stem mounted on a bike:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

53x12

by 53x12

What a nice looking stem!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It may be your name, but before you further invest in the brand name Wert, you should perhaps consider that it looks an awful lot like wart in English, and that is not a subconscious association you may really desire.

Shifting gears a bit, so to speak,
mythical wrote:Somewhere down the road we hope to release a steel and/or titanium crankset that beats all others, though no predictions can be made yet other than aluminum cranks being out of the question.
A ti crank, perhaps, but steel?
Campy Gran Sport lives!!