Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I had a good long time to go over the wheels. The wheels are definitely UD carbon. I bright direct sunlight the brake tract carbon is underneath a layer of matte coating. I don't think there are any problems other than a clear-coat peeling from the actual carbon. Don't know why you would put clear-coat on the brake tract but maybe that problem has been corrected. I also switched to the swiss stop prince and damn those are some great pads good bite and just better than the reynolds blue. Also the black prince doesn't leave a blue streak around the brake tract

Overall I really like the feel if the actual wheels now with the new pads. I'm a heavy rider and that has not affected the wheels at such light weight. I am well within the weight limit but hopefully there will be no issues. The wheels are stiff in the corners and tracts well. Comparing against my other carbon wheels I see a big difference in feel especially in hitting the corners with these wheels. They also seem to soak up rough surfaces better than the other wheels. I am happy now and thanks to the forum for all your input and making me feel better that these wheels are not a complete failure. Also light bicycle is sending me a new rim. I may not need it now.

sspring

by sspring

That is exactly what i came to think today. They are UD Carbon on the rim body with the brake trac being 3k weave. They have a coat of dark matte top coat on them which makes it hard to tell what exactly they are unless you look at them in direct sunlight. The clear coat is coming off the brake trac. Not sure if that will create a problem or how it will look in a few weeks but time will tell.

The wheels ride amazing. Did a 80 mile ride today and the things are simply great at everything

Chaz....i like the black on black decal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drewb

by drewb

This is a long post about my experience with LB U45's. This is a sort of review. I will post my experience with the brake tracks separately.

Build: F28 R32 on DT240s hubs (I sent my old hubs over to LB and they did the rest)

Brass nipples (I live near the ocean and don't want corrosion.)

Spokes: black pillar psr x-tra 1420 aero

Weight - F 728g. R 865g. By my estimates the rims weigh 458g each.

Order process: Good, very helpful. Good english and communication.

Delivery: Very good and packaging was excellent. (see pics.)

Build and finish: excellent from the time they were taken out of the package. I asked for black nipples, they emailed and said it could not be done as the paint was coming off the black nipples from their supplier. I was OK with silver. Good communication, lose 1 point for not having black nipples.

Price: Not very much.

Ride: Truly excellent. This is compared to other wheels that I have ridden: zipp 808, 404 firecrest, Bontrager Aerolus 5 tubular, Hed Belguims, Fulcrum racing zeros. They are truly very very smooth and comfortable. I would not say that about any of the other deep wheels here. They are also quiet. Much more so than other deep wheels I have tried. 10/10

Aero: no idea. Need a wind tunnel / roll test. Give confidence because they look fast.

Catching the wind: very good. did not do a back to back test with others, but I would recommend them here too.

Braking: Ahh, now we have a problem. Day 1 30k of Sydney riding, windy, short steep hills and traffic lights. Using Zipp ZIPP TANGENTE PLATINUM PRO EVO BRAKE PAD. They squeeled horribly and left a thick residue on the wheels. Not normal light build-up but like a block of surf wax dragging across glass. They stopped quickly in the dry, but made a hell of a fuss doing so. At the end of the ride I also noticed a little peeling of paint on the brake track. (more on that later). Brakes were set up toe in and tightened etc etc

Even after smaller stopping efforts I would touch the rims and they would be warm. Probably warmer than the Zipps and bontrager. Not scientific I know, but warm enough that I would notice it as different to the other wheels I had.

Today I cleaned the tracks using citrus degreaser, then water. The brake residue came off easily enough with some rubbing. I then installed Zipp cork pads. 110k ride. 1200m decending as well as traffic lights etc. Not super hard braking, but enough high speed corners that I would be a bit conscious of braking....That's better. No squeeling. They stopped me just fine. Some minor brake residue build up BUT much more peeling in the front rim (where i do most of my harder braking)

Summary
Great wheels. Truly very good. EXCEPT for the peeling issue. Until this is sorted out I would not recommend them for anyone. BUT when the brake issue is sorted out I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who does not do long descents - where I would get an aluminium rim.

free pic

drewb

by drewb

OK, The braking issue.

I have not contacted Light Bike yet. I am sure they will be OK and want the feedback and will want to help. I will report either way. This post is just to answer some questions raised above and to add to the pool of information out there - as of late Sept 2013.

Background - I have ridden about 200km. Not mountains, but not flat. I am 91kg and 193cm (6'4"). I race and ride for fun.

The below image shows the internal of the wheel around the brake track. Not UD carbon.

UD carbon is used for the rest as far as I can tell

20mb image hosting

Buildup of brake pad material on rear brake. This is zipp cork - much better than the platinum, but not great. This did not happen on the Zipp Firecrests or the Bontrager A5's that I owned.

how do you print screen

Different carbon on brake track vs rest of wheel

photo share

Paint coming away. Happening in about 6 places on front wheel and 3 on rear

pc screen shot

2 more shots of the start of peeling and different carbon types in bright sunlight.

photo sharing websites

pc screen shot

Shrek
image hosting 15mb

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

Very informative post, looks like I'll wait a bit till they've got this issue sorted,
Thanks.

cyclistcong

by cyclistcong

@drewb

thanks for the detailed post, but i was just wondering did LB recommended the use of the zipp brake pads or its a personal choice?

So far from the various posts, most of wheel brands would recommend their own specific brake pads so could that be the problem of the build up in your case?

sspring

by sspring

Is it a bad thing the clear coat is coming off the brake trac?

I'm not sure it really is. I mean other than having a slightly different look on the brake trac which all other wheels have anyhow.

I'm gonna keep riding them and I guess I will find out lol

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I just gave my HongFu 40mm Aero rims a good looking over. Probably have 500 miles at least by now on them in the past 5-6 weeks I've had them.

Running Zipp Platinum Pro grey pads. Same used on my Zipp 303 FC wheels.

Besides t he normal looking drag marks form the pads slowly etching the surface, there is absolutely no cracking, flaking, chipping etc on the brake track.

My one ride has 2600ft of climbing over 45 miles, with some needed stops to nearly a complete stop in a few places from 35mph. No problems.

I would keep riding and looking at the brake track in that Light wheel set and see if it is just a clear coat and wears off and no more problems.

On second look at your photos, are you sure that isn't just brake pad/cork build up that has flaked off the brake surface? Or is that really the surface flaking of the rim?

ItalianJob

by ItalianJob

sspring wrote:Attached are a few pics of the brake trac wear issue and also of my ride. FM066 SL with Sram Red/Force 22 combo group which came in at 13.8 lb as she shits for a 56. Lots of fun for $3000. The Tioga Spyder saddle is surprisingly comfy, I'm able to do 2+ hr rides right out of the gates with no discomfort.

Nice bike!! What seatpost is that? very similar to s-works...I'm looking for one just like it...

petepeterson

by petepeterson

it came with the frame when i got a 066 from dengfu

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

What it is like riding that saddle?? gheez...doesn't look comfortable...but maybe it flexes and is?

Superlight for mostly Asian build..pretty nice.

BTW, UD carbon is just the final cosmetic layer they put on top of the main layup/3k weave. Hence, why you see 3k inside the rim bed and on the track and such. Newer techniques are using actual UD carbon on most of the layup, but that is the big boys. I believe most Chinese a using a 3k weave, then UD on top layer to give it the "appearance" you want.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Zigmeister wrote:What it is like riding that saddle?? gheez...doesn't look comfortable...but maybe it flexes and is?

BTW, UD carbon is just the final cosmetic layer they put on top of the main layup/3k weave. Hence, why you see 3k inside the rim bed and on the track and such. Newer techniques are using actual UD carbon on most of the layup, but that is the big boys. I believe most Chinese a using a 3k weave, then UD on top layer to give it the "appearance" you want.

Would there actually be a performance difference if I opt to not have that cosmetic layer on top?

petepeterson

by petepeterson

No. Zigmeister is correct. The UD layer is just added to the top of the layup to produce the different look. They would not perform differently.

sspring

by sspring

Zigmeister wrote:What it is like riding that saddle?? gheez...doesn't look comfortable...but maybe it flexes and is?

The Tioga Spyder saddle is comfy thus far and I am very picky with saddles. The only saddle I can stand prior to this is a Aliante. The Spyder weighs only 140g and yes it flexes a ton. You can move it with your finger. I can do 3 hour rides with very little discomfort right off the bat. Good saddle. I got it for $30 from Aliexpress lol. Crazy good deal

The brake trac on the LB45 is doing good. I think it seems to be sorting itself out. As soon as the top layer of clear comes off the brake trac wear seems normal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

makerr

by makerr

Has anyone had experience with the Carbonzone 86mm 27mm wide clincher?
thanks