Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Geoff wrote:Louis, that is 100% correct. They are also smaller. Unfortunately, latex tubes for tubular tires are hard to come by, which is why Ron doesn't 'stock' them.

People doing such repairs professionally usually just pull out the inner tube and replace it with a new one. In the process they'll cut the tube to proper length and reglue it together prior to sewing the tube back up.
That's the fastest, most economical operation to repair a shot tubular.

Going the other way round, i.e. using a recovered tubular inner tube from a dying tubular as a clincher inner tube is not advisable.

The lightest latex inner tube for clincher use are Vredestein. Good luck for finding them though....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

I'm wondering (it's been probably discussed already somewhere in here, but I can't find it), anybody used the tubular latex tube in a clincher ?

No problem whatsoever. Recycle. 8)

Ciao, ;)
LouisN wrote:I put them inside a 23mm open tubular. Doesn't hold air for very long. After one hour, it already lost 50 PSI. Too stretched I guess...
Probably would be better to put them inside some 20mm tires.

Louis :)
fdegrove wrote:Going the other way round, i.e. using a recovered tubular inner tube from a dying tubular as a clincher inner tube is not advisable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Had a puncture last wednesday after I ouldn't avoid a cyclist that crashed in a crit and banged his bike...

My tub is new :(. I took off the tubular, and inflated it to locate the puncture. I simply can't.
There's nothing apparent on the tub surface. No holes, cracks. So I figured the tub pinched the rim, and the hole(s) are located under the basetape.
What's the trick to locate a flat precisely ? The "tub in the water" method... :noidea:

Thanks,

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

What's the trick to locate a flat precisely ? The "tub in the water" method... :noidea:

Unfortunately that won't work.
Easiest way to repair a tub like that is to replace the inner tube with a new one.

Ciao, ;)

sungod

by sungod

is it a slow puncture? i had one last week, took off the wheel and dipped just the tyre's edge in the bath, not as deep as the basetape, saw the small bubble, found the almost invisible mark on the surface, squirted in tufo extreme, let it flow to the right spot, sealed, it's fine now

if it's not a slow one, you should be able to inflate to high pressure (on the rim) then find it by ear

Geoff

by Geoff

Due to the construction of a tubular (a silk or cotton casing stitched around a latex or butyl tube), the air being released from a puncture in a tubular can 'travel' down the length of the casing until it releases in a stream of bubbles. This can make it difficult to locate the source.

The 'trick', if there is one, is to use a shallow tray of water and 'dip' the tire in a small section at a time. In this way, even if you cannot precisely locate the puncture, at least you will have a good chance of being able to narrow-down the area of further investigation (i.e., the section that you will have to open-up anyway to pull the tube clear to patch it.

LouisN

by LouisN

Geoff wrote: the air being released from a puncture in a tubular can 'travel' down the length of the casing until it releases in a stream of bubbles...

Exactly this...

I'll try the "trick"...Tire alert is out of businness if I remember reading ...? I have a few tubs I'd like to send...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Please correct your statement about tire alert unless you are sure they are out of business - to do otherwise is irresponsible. I don't recall reading any such thing, and the website http://www.tirealert.com/tirealert/Welcome.html is up and running.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Le chef s'est brule la patte.... :lol:

Either way, replacing an inner tube is by far the easiest surgery that can be performed on a tub short of injecting latex (yikes)...

Ciao, ;)

LouisN

by LouisN

HT2, I sent an email to Tire alert, to verify.

Geoff

by Geoff

Another forum member got some tires back from Ron fairly recently and I was planning on sending some soon. I hope you're wrong, Louis...

LouisN

by LouisN

Sorry for the misinformation guys. I got my return message from Ron.

He's still running !!! I'm sending him some tubulars for repair :)...

LouisN

by LouisN

OK, I got my tubulars from Ron. Here's what they look like.
Job seems pretty nice and even. We'll see next summer if running butyl tubes feels different...

dj97223

by dj97223

I just sent one to him for repair. Also a Vittoria Corsa. It flatted when almost new, then the basetape tore and separated from the tire when I removed the flat from the wheel. The same thing happened with another Vittoria, and I've never had that problem with Veloflex. :noidea: Maybe Ron's repair will help keep that from happening also? For the price he charges, worst case it will be a cheap spare.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Geoff

by Geoff

But then what would we do with those NOS Clement Criteriums?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com