Where can I cut the most weight for the least money?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dwmark2

by dwmark2

I am currently in the process of sourcing all my parts for a new build. I am interested in this bike being sub 14lbs (6350g) for as little money as I can (absolute cap on budget is $2500). I have all the tools/resources necessary to build the bike so labor and assembly costs are not a factor. I am willing to make slight sacrifices in weight for great improvements in speed (even though 22mm rims would save weight, 50mm will be more aero). below I have listed the components, their price, and their advertised (or averaged) weights from as many sources as I could find.

Obviously Im over my mark of 6350g, so I would like some suggestions of where I can cut weight most effectively and stay under my budget.

Component / Weight / Price

Dengfu carbon frame (FM098)/1095/$458
Dengfu carbon fork/419/incl.^
Dengfu carbon seat post/217/incl.^
Neco headset/122/$14
Dengfu carbon wheels (38mm clincher)/1530/$395 (+$15 for 11 speed rear hub)
Dengfu carbon seat/100/$55
Dengfu carbon stem/115/$50
Dengfu carbon handlebars (HB003)/235/$48
Dengfu carbon bottle cages (x2)/52/$18

SRAM Force 22 (GXP)/2150/$995
Rear derailleur/178/^
Front derailleur/79/^
STI Levers/307/^
Brakes/280/^
Chain/256/^
Cassette/231/^
Crankset/714/^
Bottom bracket/105 (already incl. in crankset weight?)/^
Cable Housing/?/^

Continental Grand Prix 4000 S tires/410/$80
Continental Race 28 Supersonic S36 tubes/100/$30
Bar Wraps/?/?

Total = 6545g / $2,178

53x12

by 53x12

Crankset is a good place to shed some significant weight. Is that frame bb30? You can save a good 150-200g depending what option you want.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

You could save around 250 grams by building a XR19w/CxRay/BHS wheelset and you would be around the same price. The DengFu 38mm rim at that weight would not be particularly aero......the Farsports 38mm wheelset is closer to 1250 grams.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Every part you have could be switched for something lighter, have you spent any time looking for used pieces? Whenever I build a bike it usually takes me several months of hunting down used parts but in the end I get a way better bike for the money.

You could lose a 400 grams easy on the wheelset switching to a 24mm farsports wheelset switching to tubular at the same time. pick up a used look hsc 5 sl or easton ec90 slx fork you can drop another 100 get a decently light seatpost drop 50-100. id also pickup a nice used sram red 10speed group instead of the force but thats just me.

corky

by corky

Stop eating

aaric

by aaric

Easiest budget / weight move would be to drop the force 22 for red 2012 and go bb30

slick1

by slick1

corky wrote:Stop eating

+1. That's what I need to do.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

I'm curious as to where in his post OP stated his weight/BF%? Even if he had why would cutting weight be an either/or affair?

Ragamuffin

by Ragamuffin

You might want to look at those Planet-X brakes too.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

DrGalactus wrote:I'm curious as to where in his post OP stated his weight/BF%? Even if he had why would cutting weight be an either/or affair?

Utter sense of humour failure right here.

Weight;

235g can be beaten for bars, I am sure. That seems to be in the mid-weight range.

dwmark2

by dwmark2

Frame is BSA. I was told to avoid BB30 when ordering the chinese carbon because they just ream out the bottom brackets and it can produce hit or miss results.

Im checking out the Farsports 38mm now. What is the lightest I could build a wheelset for less than 500 dollars?

Can't upgrade to SRAM red from last year because it still goes for more than my budget would allow.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Go for compact cranks with a small cassette if you don't consider yourself too powerful for it as yet (ie. like using the 50-11 often). It makes for a lighter crankset, cassette, and chain all at the same time. What's your choice of pedals? Something with titanium spindles can drop quite a bit of weight.

Lighter carbon bottle cages from China as well?

Dalai

by Dalai

OwenJames wrote:
DrGalactus wrote:I'm curious as to where in his post OP stated his weight/BF%? Even if he had why would cutting weight be an either/or affair?

I'm with DrGalactus on this. I am sure many off us could loose a little more weight, but the question was about lighten the listed bike build. Given the site is Weight Weenies, it is a relevant question.

The loose weight or have a cr@p before going out the door wasn't particularly funny the first time. Given the this comment has been made a number of times, it is even less humourous...

austke

by austke

Dalai wrote:
OwenJames wrote:

I'm with DrGalactus on this. I am sure many off us could loose a little more weight, but the question was about lighten the listed bike build. Given the site is Weight Weenies, it is a relevant question.

The loose weight or have a cr@p before going out the door wasn't particularly funny the first time. Given the this comment has been made a number of times, it is even less humourous...

+1

WW is about Light Bicycles, and how we can achieve it. Lets help that cause. :thumbup:
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnsaysthisnow

by johnsaysthisnow

dwmark2 wrote:Frame is BSA. I was told to avoid BB30 when ordering the chinese carbon because they just ream out the bottom brackets and it can produce hit or miss results.

While it's only one data point, I would be inclined to agree. Without throwing specific company under the bus, a buddy of mine picked up a pair of Chinese carbon frames from a US based re-seller for CX (with BB30). At least one of then had BB issues - was way out of spec and loose - and had a hassle getting it replaced. Meanwhile one of the bikes had integrated headset cups that were also out of spec, but too tight. No bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free