2014 Campagnolo groups?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

Factor into the cost, a new charger too.....

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

But at least you can still reuse the power cable from the outlet to the charger.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neverwasbeen

by neverwasbeen

So, I have a cannondale supersix (BB30 of course) and am looking to put a new chorus groupset on. What is the consensus here - wait for the over-torque and take advantage of the BB30 set-up (downside looks to be quite a complicated system relative to ultra-torque and more expensive tools)? Or take advantage of some of the good prices available now online and buy ultra-torque (downside being???)

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Chorus will work fine (I suggest Wheels Mfg adaptors), and will give you time to suss out the Over Torque setup to determine whether or not to switch at a later date.

Just my tuppence though...

neverwasbeen

by neverwasbeen

Thanks - can you post a link to the wheels mfg adaptors?

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I would definitely wait. Why use adaptors when you don't have to? If you can't wait for the O-T cranks why not just get the Hollowgrams? Their right up there with Lightweights in these parts...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

audiojan

by audiojan

corky wrote:Factor into the cost, a new charger too.....

Actually, straight from Campy, they say it will use the same charger as V1...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

neverwasbeen wrote:Thanks - can you post a link to the wheels mfg adaptors?

Here you go.

neverwasbeen

by neverwasbeen

Thanks bike tart. There are numerous threads on the issues of the campag adaptor for pf30, but given the cannondale is bb30 is there a reason to go for the wheels mfg option which leaves you with two sets of bearings compared to the campag adaptor and cups? I had heard the campag adaptor works fine with cannondale bb30.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

There's no specific reason that it's beneficial - in fact from a weight perspective it's not beneficial at all because you're carrying one redundant set of bearings.

All I was getting at is that this option allows you to get your bike built and rideable whilst you wait for OverTorque to get to market and be assessed for viability, weight & performance by others before deciding if that's the route you want to take.

And then if it is the route you decide to take you can sell your cranks with "as new" bearings!

EDIT: I think I've just realised you mean you'd replace the BB30 bearings with the Campagnolo BB30 cups, right? From what I've read they're very troublesome. They are known to creak, and can wriggle themselves out of the frame unless very strong loctite is used - which may (and I do mean "may", it is just a risk) result in you not being able to install BB30 bearings again if you ever decide to switch back.
Last edited by RichTheRoadie on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

solarider

by solarider

Unfortunately I can confirm that you will need a new charger for the new battery.

I am a life long Campagnolo fan and have SR EPS on 2 bikes, but I have to say that Di2 is superior in terms of the interface. Being able to charge the battery from the stem mounted interface rather than either having an external battery, having an internal battery and drilling another hole in your frame (seriously, who is going to do that when it might be redundant in a year's time?), or having to remove the seatpost every time you want to charge the battery is not well thought through.

V1 of Di2 and EPS were roughly similar in terms of ease of every day use. In V2, Shimano have taken a leap ahead of Campagnolo, and early next year SRAM will leapfrog them both with their new Bluetooth kit.

Campagnolo have a history of these 1 year wonders (remember the 2 rivet chain when 10 speed first came out, remember the stupidly expensive carbon chainset that lasted less than 1 season before being replaced). I am tempted to wait for the inevitable and better thought through EPS V3!

And as for Over Torque? Even proprietary chainsets (SISL for example) just use allen keys to fit them and fairly standard BB tools. Over Torque requires no less than 3 additional tools to fit and remove. And the finished product doesn't look to have that much additional benefit to off set the complication. I do get the benefits of an oversized bottom bracket shell in terms of the enlarged surface area for the adjoining tubes to but up against, but I have never flexed the axle of a standard diameter bb chainset. A better solution to fitting a standard chainset to BB30 would be better IMHO. Should be called Over Kill, not Over Torque!

Having said that, I run standard Campagnolo PFBB30 adapters in both of my ti frames and have never had a moment's noise, bother or movement. Plenty of molly paste, a parallel and well reamed frame is all that you need. The problem lies in the tolerances that you are able to achieve in carbon frames, which simply arent close enough, and that is where most people have had problems.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Causidicus wrote:
solarider wrote:Unfortunately I can confirm that you will need a new charger for the new battery.

Not when you check the voltage outputs of the chargers. They are identical. No new charger required. No new DTI required, either.

...drilling another hole in your frame (seriously, who is going to do that when it might be redundant in a year's time?), or having to remove the seatpost every time you want to charge the battery is not well thought through.

Not required. Look at the technical documents available online. Charging is through the bidon mount. No new hole required.

Yes, there are no change to the charger. Same as before.
Edit:it was confirmed that there is a new charger for the new battery

The old interface is not compatible with the new battery because the new battery has no led to show the state of charge since it was designed to be installed internally. That feature is now on the new v2 interface. You can use the new v2 interface with the older battery though.
Edit:I had the charging and diagnostics mixed up. If you use the new battery with the old interface you won`t be able to use the new software and diagnostics.
Last edited by ferrarista on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
██

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

So can the old interface be used with the new power unit (and risk a dead battery), or does it have to use the new interface too?