Speedvagen 2014? / in the UK? / Alternatives

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

KB wrote:Kevin Winter makes very nice frames, but doesn't get the publicity that Feather has; and he doesn't have a website.

I gather that Kevin is always very busy, like many frame builders and so he has never had chance to have a website done and he most likely doesn't need the publicity. I considered showing some bikes for Kevin but despite him having some good ideas for show bikes he couldn't find the time to build them. He can certainly do ISP's, in fact when I had a chat with him about a frame build he said that he can do pretty much anything you like within reason. I'm with you though KB, never seen the point of ISP's.

Re: Dave Yates, I'd oddly been told that he had retired? He used to be based up Newcastle way I believe and my former boss's 20+ year old Tandem is a Dave Yates and still going very strong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Someone mentioned a field frame would be a fraction of a 'vagen. Does anyone acutally know what they both cost?

KB

by KB

Dave Yates was M.Steel in Newcastle along with Joe Waugh who was a top rider in the UK in the 70's. I know he relocated to Lincoln under his own name.

hmai18

by hmai18

petepeterson wrote:Someone mentioned a field frame would be a fraction of a 'vagen. Does anyone acutally know what they both cost?

Stock SV frame is $3700, custom geo. is $4350.
Various upgrades including carbon seat tube, Di2 integration and seattube battery, and a couple of the paint options tack on extra.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Thanks. I assume the Field is more than the SV. I read somewhere that they produce something like 15 frames a year.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I'd be amazed if a Field costs more than an SV.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Very few steel frames cost more than a Speedvagen, and those that do have crazy waiting lists.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

FHKJ

by FHKJ

I'm in the UK and have a 2011 Speedvagen I bought new from the team at SV. They were fantastic and the bike ride likes a dream. Can't compare to many others though my training partner has a Feather and loves that too...

Importing the SV was easy, though duty was painful...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

michel2

by michel2

I would like to support my local builder, specially if you have nice builders around !(;

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

I agree. Every time I look at KB's Kevin Winter bike I think it looks stunning and Kevin calls in here from time to time to say hello and may be drop off a carbon frame that one of his customers wants repairing. :D

stumpy

by stumpy

I'm very much coming round to being local - hence wanting some UK suggestions.

Winter is high on the list, 'cos it looks brilliant, and also hoping to see one of the new enigma elites in the flesh / test ride - the model shown at the cycle show looked very smart and a chat with enigma yesterday said the weight will be good too...

KB

by KB

I don't think you'll be disappointed by buying in the UK. There are some good framebuilders.

I've had Mercian, Bob Jackson, Paul Donohue, Caygill, Raleigh's, Winter, Omega / Enigma (both Mark Reilly). The Omega was a TI frame and I still have that frame; the Enigma's the Elite, but as I said in a previous post, I've not ridden it yet.

I would also check out Field as well. He described a build using different tubesets in the same frame.

I've ridden 531, 653, 753, 853, Ultra Foco; but my favourite tubeset has been the Columbus Spirit.

I prefer steel above the carbon, TI and alu frames I've ridden. With the right builder it can be built to how you want it and can be light as well nowadays by using a carbon fork.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

stiff frame made of Spirit (only)? It's impossible. New Spirit HSS is stiffer than older, but only stiffer.
If you want stiff frame (?) buy one that is made ​​of mix Spirit, Max and Life or Dedacciai 16.5.

KB

by KB

Don't recall anyone mentioning stiffness for a frame. Builders make a frame to suit what the riders want. I once had a Raleigh off the peg 753 frame that rattled my bones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

KB wrote:Dave Yates was M.Steel in Newcastle along with Joe Waugh who was a top rider in the UK in the 70's. I know he relocated to Lincoln under his own name.

Dave Yates is still very much at it. I'm from Canada but was just there this August to build a frame on his Framebuilding Course. I built a great, Double Oversized Llewellyn Lugged Full 853 Road Bike - It's in paint now.

It's an experience all Bike Nuts should do. He is located on the edge of RAF Lincolnshire - we had modern Typhoon's and WW2 Spitfire's, Hurricane's and a Lancaster buzzing us in his very english country workshop all day long.

It was a great experience and he's full of Stories about Bike building.

He still builds for clients - don't let his Website give you the wrong impression - his work and paint is very high quality and he is inexpensive.