Covert 10 spd ergopower to 11?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michel2

by michel2

Im building up my old eddy merckx mx leader and i would like to stick the old 10 speed ergo on it, just think they look better than the new ones but on my 'proper' bike i run 11speed campy so i was wondering if i could 'rebuild' the right side and convert it to 11 ?

I had no luck with google ); i know that 09 11 speed ergopowers were able to rebuild to 10 so perhaps it would be possebly to go the otherway around ?

Any help or links very much appreciated !(

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The old, pre 2009, ergopower shifters have a completely different internal design to the current generation. So the basic answer is no, it cannot be done. At least not with Campy parts.

Since the shifter bodies also changed in dimensions, I don't believe a current mechanism would fit either.

This not to say that some inventive person couldn't make up the parts to do a conversion, so there could be some after market solution. But I have not heard of one.

Just go with alloy Athena on your Merckx. The levers work better, the ergonomics are better, and they will look nice.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stefano

by Stefano

You cannot do it using campy parts- but there is a guy who makes custom ratchets for converting the 10s into 11. I believe I got ahold of him by emailing him at tuningxcampy@gmail.com, although it has been at least a year or two, not sure if he still makes them. Worth a shot at least, no?

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZBzT4ZmSTU
Here is the link to a youtube video with the upgrade

Good luck,

Stefano

airwise

by airwise

There was an article in last month's Le Cycle magazine explaining exactly how to change the ratchet - which is apparently available from Campagnolo - on I believe the old Centaur lever. I'll try to dig the article out.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

airwise wrote:There was an article in last month's Le Cycle magazine explaining exactly how to change the ratchet - which is apparently available from Campagnolo - on I believe the old Centaur lever. I'll try to dig the article out.

Since Centaur has always been 10-speed, I'd be interested to see that.

Also, back in the 2000-2006 time frame Centaur, Chorus and Record had the same shifting internals. There was nothing different about Centaur.

In 2007-8 Centaur went "escape", so I don't think that will help either.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

s4life

by s4life

The new campy 11 shifters may not be appealing to you cosmetically -- I think they are great however -- but I think they are much better ergonomically imho.. things like these matter when you start going long distance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com