Anybody used Hutchinson Atom X-Light Clinchers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Am after a new set of lightweight clincher tyres for hill climbs and sportives and have come across these with a claimed weight of 160g and at a really good price.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of these? They will only be used occasionally so longevity is less of an issue, just don't want to be stopping for punctures all the time or sliding out on corners.

Similarly if anybody has experience of the Fusion 3 X-Light, any info there would be good as these are only 180g supposedly and at a similar price?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

No sorry. They claim they're the lightest clincher out there but haven't seen any real world weight on scales to back up. I'd be interested if anyone had any exerience with them too and how they compare to something like the Supersonics or the Veloflex Records.

lechat

by lechat

Another option is the Diamante Pro light. I use them on my WW bike and haven't had any flats. Actual weight is ~175gms.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

@lechat, how do they hold up reliability wise? If you don't mind my asking, what kind of mileage and what kind of roads?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

GT56

by GT56

i weighed michelin pro4 comp, 23 mm

they were 180 grams

BUT

although they are supposedly 23 mm wide, they measure just 21, (where the regular pro4 in 23 measures 24 + mm)

mattyb95

by mattyb95

I plumped for them in the end. Real world weights were 164g (not bad) and 171g (bit disappointed in honesty). The shop did have to go hunt for a 2nd one which was the heavier one (logo a bit grubby so could tell) so may just be an anomaly or a different batch, etc, etc.

Although labelled as a 23mm, they seem narrower and were a right pig to fit with Michelin latex tubes to avoid the inner getting caught but once I got the knack of freeing the tube, it was fine. Should manage a short outing tomorrow and a longer one on Saturday so will see how they go.

Although their blurb says lightest clincher, think the Conti Supersonics are claimed to be lighter at 140g although that is getting a bit flimsy for me.

lechat

by lechat

[quote="Powerful Pete"]@lechat, how do they hold up reliability wise? If you don't mind my asking, what kind of mileage and what kind of roads?[/quote]

That I can't say. I only have ~ 500 miles on them, on fairly decent roads. Don't think I'd run them on my daily rider, I ride my WW bike about 20% of the time.
Price is good though. If you can find them at auction, they go for ~ $50-60 / pr. on eBay US. Much better than Conti Supers.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Noted with thanks lechat. And mattyb95, looking forward to hearing your experiences.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Had a first ride on them yesterday, short 8 mile commute to the station and then a 37 mile ride home. Was pretty impressed with them, seemed to hold up to poor road conditions on the ride home (have had Vittoria Corsa's puncture repeatedly in the past).
Ride comfort was not as plush as the Vittoria Pave's they replaced which were 25mm also but would say better than GP4000s that I have used.
Spun up pretty quickly and seemed to hold speed well, despite being a lighter tyre and so less of a flywheel effect. Hard to tell how much they helped on the hills as am just getting over man flu but set some new Strava PBs on the ride home on some longer draggy sections so changing tyres hasn't hurt at least. Will update on puncture resistance over time as that is my main concern with them due to the weight.

RMcC

by RMcC

+1 for the diamanté pro light.

I have used a set for over 1000 miles now and have only had 1 puncture on the front with a bit of glass. I use them all the time in all weather and they're brilliant.

As said above mine weighed in at 179g and had major problems fitting them to stans alpha rims using supersonic tubes but once they're on they have been perfect.

hillrider

by hillrider

Have over 2000 km's on Diamante Lights on rough Irish roads,not one puncture yet!! Mine weighed in at 179g and 184g.

Miller

by Miller

Re Mattyb95, is this the Planet-X offer? I ordered one which came today. A bit porky at 205g I thought... and it turns out to be an Atom Comp, not an Atom Comp Xlight. I have emailed them and hope this can be sorted out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyb95

by mattyb95

No it was Evans doing a BOGOF on Hutchinson tyres so worked out fractionally more than the Planet X but avoided a mail order but now also sounds like I avoided getting the wrong product entirely.

Don't know if Evans are still doing it but you could always get a price match from them on Planet X.