Mavic ksyrium freehub removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinchy

by tinchy

evening all,
trying to remove the freehub on a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite (2010) as I have a feeling the bushings worn. Ive managed to remove the axle end screw from the non drive side, but drive side doesn't come out - i.e. it spins and spins with the 5mm hex inserted. From what ive read the drive side end screw should come off easily with a 5mm hex, allowing you to slide the freehub body off...but somewhere along the line I think Mavic have changed this. Below is a picture showing the non drive side axle end screw removed, with my middle finger pointing to the drive side screw which wont come out....

(Ive also heard that at this point a bit of brute force will remove the freehub body but would like to hear some others opinions first)

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
if you want to remove only the freehub then instal back the non drive side and use two 5mm hex keys, one on each side, and you should be able to remove the freehub without any problems.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm looking and thinking what is holding the freehub in place?

Is it just the pawls? In which case a gentle pull while turning the freehub should work.

Force in not good I'm thinking.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

The small stubby DS part of the axle can be in quite tight.

Loosen off the bearing preload on the NDS. Refit the axle but not tightly. Hold the freehub in place with your hand and gently tap the NDS axle with a rubber mallet. The axle stub will loosen. Remove the NDS axle. Carefully pull off the freehub. Watch for the pawls and springs and also the washer that sits between the freehub and the hub.

tinchy

by tinchy

thanks chaps will have a fiddle later and report back

tinchy

by tinchy

Nope, no luck! The drive side part of the axle just spins and spins and rives out the non drive side part. :?: :?: :?:

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

tinchy, what have you tried doing?

tinchy

by tinchy

Tried doing what you suggested, using the mallet to give it a bit of a knock. Still no luck.

From what Ive seen on the internet, all it should require is an allen key inserted into both ends of the axle. The non drive side is held firm whilst the drive side part of the axle is loosened, removed and thus enabling the freehub to be removed.

In my case, I insert and allen key into both ends of the axle and only the non drive side allen key can rotate, allowing its removal - the drive side part of the axle remains holding the freehub in position, preventing its removal.

:?:

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

As I said the DS axle stub can be a tight fit. It's going through two bearings, the outer freehub bearing and the DS hub bearing. Once it starts to move i'm sure it'll come out quite easily.

Can you support the freehub on a piece of wood with a hole for the axle? Alternatively, use a couple of books under the freehub either side of the axle and then hit the NDS axle with the mallet.

Take care as it is easy to lose the pawl springs when the freehub comes off.

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

hello all,
585 is on the right track. the drive side axle end fits snugly into a bearing carried by the hub shell. if it were me, I'd have no hesitation to take a flat punch or a drift, run it through the non drive side of the hub shell, and gently tap the stuck axle end out.
but yes, be careful not to lose the pawls and springs. they're small and like to scatter.
regards, - zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

tinchy

by tinchy

Thanks for all the help will have another bash later....more fun than college work!

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

Isn't this one of the hubs you have to stick a 10mm hex in the non-drive side to secure the axle and then unscrew the 5mm drive side axle portion?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com