New Hollowgram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stockie

by Stockie

When will the new forged crankset become available? (and what would be the price?) that one would be cheaper than the SiSl...
I Will make the leap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rew11willie

by rew11willie

Deleted
Last edited by rew11willie on Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asmilo

by asmilo

Has anyone had any success with the new hollowgram with campy 11 speed? Fwiw I emailed cannondale about campy compatibility with the following response:

Our Hollowgram SISL2 cranks are not designed around Campy so the shifting may not be as smooth as compared to our SISL2 with Shimano or FSA 11-speed. It would take a real Campy fan to notice the shifting but it will work.

Not sure if this helps Anyone but haven't been able to find much info on using campy 11 with the new spidering.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

asmilo wrote:Has anyone had any success with the new hollowgram with campy 11 speed? Fwiw I emailed cannondale about campy compatibility with the following response:

Our Hollowgram SISL2 cranks are not designed around Campy so the shifting may not be as smooth as compared to our SISL2 with Shimano or FSA 11-speed. It would take a real Campy fan to notice the shifting but it will work.

Not sure if this helps Anyone but haven't been able to find much info on using campy 11 with the new spidering.

I haven't done that setup, but I do have a 10sp Record setup on an Si crankset. Yeah, I'm oldschool.

That aside, I think the only problem you might have is some chain rub when in 39/11 or other extreme gears in the small ring.. At least that's how it was on the old spider/rings. Other than that you ought to be fine.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I'm trying to figure out whether I'll use my spidering or go to aftermarket rings, probably TA Specialites Hegoa since I've had so much luck with them and they're light 8)

So does anyone know:

1. The weight of the 53/39 spidering.

2. The weight of the 130BCD spider for the SiSL2.

3. Whether the 130BCD spider for the SiSL fits the SiSL2.

Thanks in advance!

8)

GJ

njspanasonic

by njspanasonic

asmilo wrote:Has anyone had any success with the new hollowgram with campy 11 speed? Fwiw I emailed cannondale about campy compatibility with the following response:

I have been running Hollowgram Si SL with Chorus 11 on my BB30 CAAD9 for the past 3 months, front shifting is OK but not as smooth as Campy crank/rings front shifting. The big problem however is chain suck when dropping to the small ring, the chain sticks on the bottom of the big ring and slams the chain into the bottom of the chainstay. Trusted LBS mechanic thinks it sticks due to the thickness of the chainring not releasing the narrow 11 speed chain. Doesn't happen often but when that shift counts and is needed it's a bummer. Options were Spidering and Praxis Works 11 speed rings. My bike is at the shop now getting the Spidering put on so I will report back on shifting performance with this setup.

asmilo

by asmilo

thanks for the feedback njspanasonic. really interested to hear how you get on with the spidering. sounds promising that they've recommended it to you anyway. was it the lbs suggestion or was it campys or cannondales?

styrrell

by styrrell

[quote="Gearjunkie"]I'm trying to figure out whether I'll use my spidering or go to aftermarket rings, probably TA Specialites Hegoa since I've had so much luck with them and they're light 8)

So does anyone know:

1. The weight of the 53/39 spidering.

2. The weight of the 130BCD spider for the SiSL2.

3. Whether the 130BCD spider for the SiSL fits the SiSL2.

Somene posted weights of a spidering vs chainrings and the spider. Do a search for the exact numbers but unfortunately the spidering was heavier.

The spiders fit all variations

njspanasonic

by njspanasonic

asmilo wrote:thanks for the feedback njspanasonic. really interested to hear how you get on with the spidering. sounds promising that they've recommended it to you anyway. was it the lbs suggestion or was it campys or cannondales?

Initial test ride with Chorus 11 and Spidering Si SL crank :thumbup: Noticeably quicker upshift to the big ring, feels like the shifting ramps really help the chain pickup on to the big ring. Tight smooth downshift to the small ring as well, no chainsuck problem but I will need to test this while shifting under power, panic small ring downshifts, etc. Doing a nice big climbing ride tomorrow so I will report back with impressions. For reference I was riding MK V rings previously.

@ asmilo LBS suggested Praxis Works since they have had good experiences with them. The shop owner did tell me they were impressed by the "trick factor" of the Spidering and honestly part of the reason I wanted to try it is I just think its COOL ! Time will tell.

asmilo

by asmilo

Great news! I've ordered the sisl2 and spidering so hopefully will be reporting back with good news soon too!

fifarafa

by fifarafa

asmilo wrote:Great news! I've ordered the sisl2 and spidering so hopefully will be reporting back with good news soon too!

Hi asmilo. Do you have good news?:)

fifarafa

by fifarafa

So tell me please which solution is better:

135 spider and Campagnolo chainrings
http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... p_205.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or 130 and Praxis
http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... p_133.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://praxiscycles.com/pages/standard-road-rings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cpparkcity

by cpparkcity

Came across your post and I am a new memeber and have a similar situation and am curious everyone experience with the SiSL2 set up:

I am building up a 2013 Neilpryde BuraSL and looking for some advice on my crank choices as well as wheel choices. Of course already over my budget so need to find the best bang for my buck! I am a di-hard Campy Guy and was originally going with Dura Ace 9000 because of cost difference, but Backcountry.com made an error and put a Full 80th edition Super Record group at 45% off so I grabbed it (now I need to sell my DA 9000 stuff that is NIB...)

I love the look and weight of the SiSL2 and have loved the Cannondale hollowgram I have on my MTB. The fact I could get the last Stages power crank they made in SiSL2 (the coating is apparently tough to work with so stages is not making these anymore). But 500g complete including power is pretty attractive. What I don't know is if the 11sp rings that were made for Dura Ace will shift well with the SR set up... I have read removes saying it works great and others saying it is awefull and the chain sticks causing gears to drop. Another option is to purchase the 135bd rings and put campy rings on (but then I loose the bad ass look of the SiSL2 and add considerable weight and loose stiffness.

Next option is to use the SR ti crank and look for power from a powertap cassette.... but then the cost of my wheelset jumps a grand, although I likely would have no issues selling the brand new SiSL2 stages crank for $1,500

Curious to here more about yoru experience and how it has been running. Seems Cannondale makes a 135bcd spider that I could use OEM 11sp campy rings on but then I loose the bad ass look, light weight and some stiffness...

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Before I part with my cashola, can someone pls confirm that the Spidering works with the SiSl as well (not only the SiSl2)?

upside

by upside

Yes as all CDale Hollowgrams are designed the same. No problems

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com