HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:46 pm
Posts: 4
Hi WW!

I've got a nice wheelset based on classic King hubs. Since Chris King does not offers 11speeds freehub upgrade for this particular hub, I was wondering if it was possible (to the best of your knowledge) to transform a 11 speeds cassette into a 10 speed cassette by removing one cog and adding a proper width spacer.

If I use 11 speeds shifters (ultegra 6800) and I adjust the limits screws of my 11 speeds rear mech, I should be fine, right?

I made a little graph to compare the widths 11 speeds, 10 speeds and 11 minus 1 speeds cassettes
11 speeds cassette minus one cog on 10 speeds freehub
Image

inb4: transforming 11 speeds to 10 speed is stoopid. I've got my reasons.

Thanks for your inputs!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Posts: 1045
Location: Toronto
Math looks fine to me, so I don't see why not.

For safety I'd be having a spare last click to the small sprocket, rather than the other end of the cassette.

_________________
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:02 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:46 pm
Posts: 4
bikerjulio wrote:
Math looks fine to me, so I don't see why not.

For safety I'd be having a spare last click to the small sprocket, rather than the other end of the cassette.


Yeah I could also add two small spacers at each end. The 2,54mm spacer is a regular 9speeds cassette spacer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:29 am
Posts: 35
You can do that, but if you are using a Shim Cassette the 2nd to the last cog doesn't have the groves for the lockring to get a good bite on.

I ran my 7900 cassette with the new DA until I bought a new set of wheels and it worked just as well with 10 cogs as it did with 11.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:46 pm
Posts: 4
Ceebers1 wrote:
You can do that, but if you are using a Shim Cassette the 2nd to the last cog doesn't have the groves for the lockring to get a good bite on.

I ran my 7900 cassette with the new DA until I bought a new set of wheels and it worked just as well with 10 cogs as it did with 11.


I would probably remove a middle cog; 16t probably.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:10 pm
Posts: 253
Works fine. I did this with a PG-1170 cassette, and removed the 16T cog, and moved the spacer from the 16T cog to the inside of the cassette. The 15-17 shift isn't as smooth as it could be, but it works pretty well. FWIW, I'm using red 22 shifters - spacing for shimano should be the same though.

I plan on picking up another wheelset soon, but this is a reasonable bridge until then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:46 pm
Posts: 4
aaric wrote:
Works fine. I did this with a PG-1170 cassette, and removed the 16T cog, and moved the spacer from the 16T cog to the inside of the cassette. The 15-17 shift isn't as smooth as it could be, but it works pretty well. FWIW, I'm using red 22 shifters - spacing for shimano should be the same though.

I plan on picking up another wheelset soon, but this is a reasonable bridge until then.


Thanks!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:45 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:29 am
Posts: 35
gonz0 wrote:
Ceebers1 wrote:
You can do that, but if you are using a Shim Cassette the 2nd to the last cog doesn't have the groves for the lockring to get a good bite on.

I ran my 7900 cassette with the new DA until I bought a new set of wheels and it worked just as well with 10 cogs as it did with 11.


I would probably remove a middle cog; 16t probably.


-Ah ok, I see what you are saying.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. new freehub - resistance

in Road

tinchy

8

581

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:29 pm

tinchy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. WTT: I9 Torch freehub

in Wanted

tomp

0

37

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:27 am

tomp View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campagnolo/Fulcrum freehub help

in Road

digitalnorbs

4

56

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:47 pm

digitalnorbs View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. DT 240S Freehub Issue

in Road

ultimobici

11

854

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15 am

ultimobici View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campy 11s freehub for Tune Mag 180?

in Road

FastforaSlowGuy

1

238

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 pm

madcow View the latest post


It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB